• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, buttock said:

Someone smarter than me want to find out if this was graded during the dark ages around 2011 when CGC didn't know GA from a hole in the ground?  Could be resubbed from then.  

Graded Dec 3 2020

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3751865001/

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, buttock said:

The 8.0 looks much nicer than the 8.5.  

The only thing that matters is that the 8.5 label looks much nicer than the 8.0 label.  The book sitting underneath the label is superfluous.

Yes indeed, when will these old school GA guys learn that it's all about buying the label and not having to worry about the book at all.  doh!

I guess some of us old timers are just going to have to learn from some of these newbie MA day traders who have no problem paying $15K for a Spidey 300 or over $32K for a Secret Wars 8!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Needless to say, I'll certainly :takeit: :takeit: ,  the money that is.  :bigsmile:

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess some of us old timers are just going to have to learn from some of these newbie MA day traders who have no problem paying $15K for a Spidey 300 or over $32K for a Secret Wars 8!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

the buyer of the Secret Wars #8 also owns a Superman #1, so he's not just trading moderns.

I’d say nothing scares me more than the books from the current modern market. That artificial rarity through variants stresses me out, so I don’t partake lol. The other artificial rarity out there, CGC 9.9’s and 10.0’s maybe comes in a distant second to the first, but I can get behind that a tad more. Following 9.9 and 10.0 sales for a while, they’ve only gone up on keys from what I can tell. The New Mutants 87’s and 98’s of the world for example and “attainable” super high grade copper and modern keys like them (X-Men 266, Shazam 1, Spawn 1, ASM 361, etc...) So seems like a stable enough market, as much as it can be considering the slim difference in those 2 grades. The power of a # is impressive to say the least 😳.

On 12/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’d say nothing scares me more than the books from the current modern market. That artificial rarity through variants stresses me out, so I don’t partake lol. The other artificial rarity out there, CGC 9.9’s and 10.0’s maybe comes in a distant second to the first, but I can get behind that a tad more.

Since I also don't partake in the variant market at all, I would consider that aspect of the market to be irrelevant from my own personal point of view.  (thumbsu

As for the uber HG market when it comes to the more recent CA to MA markets, I would tend to stay far away and refuse to pay abnormally high prices for these seemingly "common as dirt" books.  Especially the ones which are in demand and yet already graded in CGC 9.8 by the hundreds or even thousands as this huge number of uber HG copies makes it virtually impossible to track and trace them to verify their past grading history, if any at all.  hm  (shrug)

Came across this copy of Atomic Comics 1 (the single highest graded copy) in the upcoming featured c-link auction. I think I'm in love :x.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021feb%23Item_1455577&id=1455577&itemType=0

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.38.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.39.11 PM.png

When I see those 9.8's, 9.6's and even 9.4's I can't help but wonder exactly how they were handled and stored from the very moment of sale until the day they were encapsulated. I've seen an old very large hoard that was stored for 40 to 50 years never touched once the entire time, and time and age took its toll on them. Even the ones that were bagged in old thick bags that turned yellow. Its just amazing how some survived in such condition as that Atomic 1. 

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

When I see those 9.8's, 9.6's and even 9.4's I can't help but wonder exactly how they were handled and stored from the very moment of sale until the day they were encapsulated. I've seen an old very large hoard that was stored for 40 to 50 years never touched once the entire time, and time and age took its toll on them. Even the ones that were bagged in old thick bags that turned yellow. Its just amazing how some survived in such condition as that Atomic 1. 

No kidding. Even when properly stored, there's still aging that occurs. How in the world did books like that Atomic 1 get perfectly locked away for 80 years? Was it an accidental thing like where some animals are perfectly fossilized by falling in the perfect type of mud-bog? Like, did the original owner purposefully store it in perfect conditions or did they happen to live somewhere with perfect humidity levels and just stuck them in a basement and forgot about them?

I HAVE TO KNOW

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

No kidding. Even when properly stored, there's still aging that occurs. How in the world did books like that Atomic 1 get perfectly locked away for 80 years? Was it an accidental thing like where some animals are perfectly fossilized by falling in the perfect type of mud-bog? Like, did the original owner purposefully store it in perfect conditions or did they happen to live somewhere with perfect humidity levels and just stuck them in a basement and forgot about them?

I HAVE TO KNOW

I don't know how they did it. I've seen comics in bags as old as the early 60's and they were thick and very yellow. Some of the books were actually stuck to them so bad they were damaged when being removed. I don't know what kind of bags or conservation material they used in the 30's , 40's, and 50's or if the very high grade pedigrees were even bagged at all. It has probably been discussed here before but I don't know.

7 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

I HAVE TO KNOW

The Vancouver collection was a pedigree found in the nineties known for it's white pages and perfect condition. I'm not sure how they were stored but this seems some freezer environment that let no oxygen in. 

11 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yeah I’ve only had one golden age book, actually golden or silver age ever come back a 9.8, which was recently. Bought it from an original owner collection. Up until then the highest I ever got was a 9.4 or 9.6 on silver and like 9.0-9.2 on golden. And I’ve submitted quite a bit since 2013. Not as much as many people like dealers, but a lot of books over the years!

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 2/25/2020 at 8:38 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Am I seriously going to win these books??!! 
cmon people!

I know right?  I actually put in a marker bid that somehow got an extra $0 added to it.  Of course it has been bid up to the exact amount of my erroneous bid. Come on folks! Just one mo dolla on the All-Flash #12!

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

ComicLink has a Tec 38 7.5 in their next auction.

excerpt from item description

Capture.thumb.PNG.bd1baa1f8190b664a2002379851838de.PNG

The 8.0 has been listed on their exchange for months on end :makepoint:

I was real excited about the Detective 38 until I saw the “aggressive” dry cleaning in the green part of the cover.  Added image for reference 

1455A315-FBB6-4999-8E51-B2E1927D9A18.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I was real excited about the Detective 38 until I saw the “aggressive” dry cleaning in the green part of the cover.  Added image for reference 

1455A315-FBB6-4999-8E51-B2E1927D9A18.jpeg

Gorgeous outside of that. I might add color touch if I owned that.