• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

Lou_fine wrote:

"No doubt it was another one of these record setting auction results that was never ever completed by the so-called bidder or possibly another one of these whereby the consignor is simply trying to manipulate the price upwards to set the book up for a future sale. "

I don't understand why people make proclamations of fact with complete confidence when it is just conjecture. The sale of the Tomb of Dracula #10 9.9 in the 2019 auction did indeed complete for $85,000 in the Summer 2019 Featured Auction. The purchaser in that auction is reselling it in the upcoming one.  

-Josh

3 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Winter auction has begun. I notice a lot of books I saw in the preview a few weeks ago now have CVA stickers on them and before they didn't. Personally I'm not a fan of that. 

Yes, if I compare the CVA sticker to the QES sticker, I would prefer the latter since the CVA sticker is pretty much generic while the QES sticker at least makes some sort of an attempt to list the specific factors as to why the book in question qualified for the sticker.  (thumbsu

If I may ask, as a potential bidder on a particular book, why would the presence of a sticker on the slab tend to bother you since you are not paying directly for the sticker itself?   Especially since it's really there to impart a bit more information to you as a potential bidder that the assigned technical CGC grade itself might not be taking into account.  hm  (shrug) 

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, if I compare the CVA sticker to the QES sticker, I would prefer the latter since the CVA sticker is pretty much generic while the QES sticker at least makes some sort of an attempt to list the specific factors as to why the book in question qualified for the sticker.  (thumbsu

If I may ask, as a potential bidder on a particular book, why would the presence of a sticker on the slab tend to bother you since you are not paying directly for the sticker itself?   Especially since it's really there to impart a bit more information to you as a potential bidder that the assigned technical CGC grade itself might not be taking into account.  hm  (shrug) 

Well......I'll give you an example as to one reason I am not a fan of those shiny little silver badges. In the January CL auction was a book that sold for 2,600 without the cva. I noticed before it ended that there was the same book with the same grade/page color coming in the Winter auction. Both looked very much the same. I got outbid in January. Ok, I'll bid ridiculously, with reckless abandonment, with no regard to recent sales prices (which seems to be the norm in comic collecting the past 6 months or so) in the Winter auction. But suddenly out of nowhere the book in the Winter auction magically grew a cva sticker and on the opening day it is already up to 2600. 

The subject has been addressed many times here but my feelings about the stickers is its just a way to make money. And besides I don't need no stinking badge to tell me what a nice example for the grade looks like. You probably agree for the most part right? 

Because CL has no watch list, I save each book as a favorite in my opera browser. Shows a nice picture of the book in the favorites page. I saved a lot in this auction 2 weeks ago and none of them had cva's at the time. now 4 or 5 do. This auction has some nice books and a few I will bid on but man I've never seen so many cva stickers in one place in my life.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Comic Link has some pretty awesome books this round, both GA and SA.

Agree 100%, looks like decent supply of some books that have been getting out of hand, maybe this puts some in check, but a few will go for ATH as well.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, COMICLINK said:

Lou_fine wrote:

"No doubt it was another one of these record setting auction results that was never ever completed by the so-called bidder or possibly another one of these whereby the consignor is simply trying to manipulate the price upwards to set the book up for a future sale. "

I don't understand why people make proclamations of fact with complete confidence when it is just conjecture. The sale of the Tomb of Dracula #10 9.9 in the 2019 auction did indeed complete for $85,000 in the Summer 2019 Featured Auction. The purchaser in that auction is reselling it in the upcoming one.  

-Josh

I’m curious, is it a $60 flat rate for shipping? 

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Probably won’t be cheap. Sad the 17 has tan pages as it’s on my want list. 

Yep. It makes sense they would go high being that they are so few. I understand people bidding very high, even like insane people, on books they might not see come around again for months or years or maybe never. Its the bidding like lunatics on books that are so plentiful that new ones come around almost on a daily basis. I'm just bitter because I've been getting blown out of the water on everything I've bid on lately. I need a hug.

1 hour ago, clarkkentdds said:

Yeah.. Cards are going crazy right now. I am sitting on the sidelines of the card hobby for a while...I think now is a good time to sell cards- not good time to buy.

To everything 
There is a season 
And a time to every purpose
A time to be born, a time to (crash)

I'm still trying to figure out who these people bidding like mad on everything are. I know I'm a broken record about it but I'm truly baffled. And its not even heavy last minute action in most auctions, its mostly right out of the gate bidding frenzies. I just don't get it. 

Edited by Professor Chaos