• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

This may mean nothing to anyone but you since you're in Canada, but how many people went from making $600 a month after tax to $2,000 a month during the pandemic because of government hand outs? Most people spent like drunken sailors thinking it was a windfall, but the tax man is coming. If the government decides to forgive a lot of the money owed then it is status quo, but some people may be scrambling to liquidate things to ease back into their pre covid means. Granted, many of the people I am speaking of likely don't collect high end comic books, but these situations always cause ripples. 

what about all of the government handouts and bailouts across so many industries. I mean, there really was/is no choice, but the bottom line is we ALL have to pay for this pandemic .....  eventually. We are certainly all in this together.

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

what about all of the government handouts and bailouts across so many industries. I mean, there really was/is no choice, but the bottom line is we ALL have to pay for this pandemic .....  eventually. We are certainly all in this together.

I was under the impression the stimulus checks were/are exempt from taxation. UI isn't. We own a small business that got shot in the back in March 2020 so we began collecting UI for small businesses. Also got a PPE grant. UI is taxable and we opted to have taxes taken out weekly.

The way I see it is simple: We ALL pay taxes. Small businesses pay more in than the average working man toiling for an employer. If Ford can get bailed out, we ought to be able to be helped as well. It isn't the governments money. It's ours. WE pay the bills. I didn't feel the least bit bad about collecting UI. Or receiving a grant for PPE. Didn't spend it on comics, either. Spent it on bills and food and paying 1 employee for the little work we had left. If we can collect that sort of stipend, we felt it should go toward what it was meant to. Not frills and toys. I know a lot of people bought TV sets with theirs. Whatever.

17 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I was under the impression the stimulus checks were/are exempt from taxation. UI isn't. We own a small business that got shot in the back in March 2020 so we began collecting UI for small businesses. Also got a PPE grant. UI is taxable and we opted to have taxes taken out weekly.

The way I see it is simple: We ALL pay taxes. Small businesses pay more in than the average working man toiling for an employer. If Ford can get bailed out, we ought to be able to be helped as well. It isn't the governments money. It's ours. WE pay the bills. I didn't feel the least bit bad about collecting UI. Or receiving a grant for PPE. Didn't spend it on comics, either. Spent it on bills and food and paying 1 employee for the little work we had left. If we can collect that sort of stipend, we felt it should go toward what it was meant to. Not frills and toys. I know a lot of people bought TV sets with theirs. Whatever.

small businesses have taken it up the you-know-what this past year - So brutal !!! Good luck to you man ...... 

small businesses have taken it up the you-know-what this past year - So brutal !!! Good luck to you man ...... 

Small businesses and over 500K dead in the US alone. Been brutal all around! I definitely feel worse for all the lives lost, but it's sad to see soo many people struggling as well financially. The comic book industry has definitely persisted though, and with the most insane sales!

Edited by LDarkseid1

Thanks for saying that. If we are any example, I sat on the phone over a weekend and watched 16 years go up in a puff of smoke. We are pet care and dog walker people. Clients were told to work from home. Or shorten their hours. Schools were closed so Junior could take the dog out. 85% gone just like that. There were SOME clients who recognized that even though they were going to be home, their income would not be affected and their dogs loved us and wanted their walks. Also that we were dependent as small business owners. Some clients even paid us in the interim! We need to socially distance ourselves. So, discontinuing services. BUT! Just bill us monthly! We will get through this together. Wow. Angels here on Earth. We do not forget those people. But most of them who could have kept us decided to save money instead even though their income wasn't cut. I suppose they never thought about us.

But small businesses really took it hard. Yes.

14 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
15 hours ago, fishbone said:

Small businesses and over 500K dead in the US alone. Been brutal all around!

Like they say in business, the tone from the top along with consistent messaging is very important and deathly critical in these types of situations. (thumbsu

Although it does indeed seem to be brutual all around, yet so many of the neighbouring countries around China still miraculously have total death counts down only in the single or double digits to this point in time.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Despite the coupon cut out, I'm super impressed with this Superman 1 CGC 1.0 coming in the May featured. Very very nice presenting for the grade!

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021may%23Item_1469683&id=1469683&itemType=0

00019960810119111171509001.jpg

RAD1BC232021310_12501.jpg

March auction has lift-off. It does look great for a 1.0. I'm on the fence whether I agree with a missing coupon making a book incomplete. I suppose technically it does, but if it is part of a page/s that doesn't affect the story I'm not too sure the term incomplete is necessary. Coupon cut out to me seems sufficient. It'll still probably hit 100 G's or darn close.

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

March auction has lift-off. It does look great for a 1.0. I'm on the fence whether I agree with a missing coupon making a book incomplete. I suppose technically it does, but if it is part of a page/s that doesn't affect the story I'm not too sure the term incomplete is necessary. Coupon cut out to me seems sufficient. It'll still probably hit 100 G's or darn close.

Yeah I feel like $100K is doable, and over $100K wouldn’t surprise me tbh.

:bump:

Figured this would be a timely bump for this thread here since CL has the GA portion of their Focusd Auction up on deck today and ready to go to bat tomorrow.  Or will there be some deals and steals here with everybody focusing in on the Promise Collection and closing up their wallets for now.  hm

And as one boardie has laready mentioned, it seems that since the Mask Comics are starting to show up in every single auction now, it makes me wonder where this copy of Mask 2 is going to finished up at by tomorrow night when it's all said and done, with it sitting st $3,800 right now:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021apr%26session%3D2%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D7%23Item_1476745&id=1476745&itemType=0#detail

RAD1C65B202149_155926.jpg

Or are all of the big spenders going to wait for the Promise copy of these 2 Mask books to come out since they both appear to be pretty cherry from the grades and scans that we have seen so far.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Figured this would be a timely bump for this thread here since CL has the GA portion of their Focusd Auction up on deck today and ready to go to bat tomorrow.  Or will there be some deals and steals here with everybody focusing in on the Promise Collection and closing up their wallets for now.  hm

And as one boardie has laready mentioned, it seems that since the Mask Comics are starting to show up in every single auction now, it makes me wonder where this copy of Mask 2 is going to finished up at by tomorrow night when it's all said and done, with it sitting st $3,800 right now:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021apr%26session%3D2%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D7%23Item_1476745&id=1476745&itemType=0#detail

RAD1C65B202149_155926.jpg

Or are all of the big spenders going to wait for the Promise copy of these 2 Mask books to come out since they both appear to be pretty cherry from the grades and scans that we have seen so far.  hm  (shrug)

Maybe, but I don't think the buyer of this book and the potential buyer of the Promise book are in the same pool. 

ComicLink has bunch of post 1975 books closing tonight.  Sure seems like the Miller Daredevils are lighting it up.  Happy because that was the #1 comic I looked forward to reading in the day. Spoiler alert --When Elektra died a little piece of me went with her.

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Spoiler alert...............nobody dies forever in this comic book world of ours that we have here.  :baiting:

They don't seem to come back the way they were, though. Either amnesia, a clone, a Robin/Red Hood zombie or The Acrobat posing as Captain America.

I recall my first resurrection related disappointment as a kid. When Jaime Sommers was fitted with bionics and conveniently amnesia. Wiping out any chance at true love with Steve Austin. Who took it pretty well as I recall. Later, we had the "Dream Season" from Dallas. That was a peach. Good thing the internet didn't exist then.