• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it is a signed copy after all if you take a closer look at the front cover.  lol

Not sure how your math is working anyways.  The CL 7.0 graded copy sold for $211K or a shade over 1.4X condition guide and the CL 5.0 graded copy sold for $100K or over 1.5X condition guide, while the HA 7.5 graded copy is still at only $132K with the juice or only at 1.05X condition guide.  (:

Whoops. Brain overload:boo:

Well, if the markets continue in the same downward trend for another few days, you might even get some bid retractions and be able to snap up this nice looking copy for a real bargain basment price.  :wishluck:  

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it is a signed copy after all if you take a closer look at the front cover.  lol

Not sure how your math is working anyways.  The CL 7.0 graded copy sold for $211K or a shade over 1.4X condition guide and the CL 5.0 graded copy sold for $100K or over 1.5X condition guide, while the HA 7.5 graded copy is still at only $132K with the juice or only at 1.05X condition guide.  (:

The bidders may avoid to pay the sales tax on this book plus the shipping handle fees and BP.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if the markets continue in the same downward trend for another few days, you might even get some bid retractions and be able to snap up this nice looking copy for a real bargain basment price.  :wishluck:  

On the other hand, as investors are running away from the equity markets and looking for safe havens, they just might seek shelter in the comic book market and toss some of their money our way.  Haven't we seen this same scenario also played out before in the past as investors seek to diversify away a bit from the equity markets during these times of extreme volatility and high uncertainty?  hm

Just took a quick look at some of the CL auction results for tonight and they appear to be holding onto their strength better than I had expected, especially after the very noticeable dropoff on the Spidey's and Cap's the other evening.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

It’s a company (website below) that’s associated with C-Link and when a CVA sticker is put on a book, it’s saying the book presents exceptionally well in grade. Comicconnect has their own version now called QES. It can actually produce better than expected results on sales. I know many people think it’s a scam, but I have seen many books sell for a solid premium with it on.

https://www.cvacomics.com/index.php/the-cva-sticker2.html

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I know many people think it’s a scam, but I have seen many books sell for a solid premium with it on.

I guess you are probably referring to books like this Hulk 181 with the CVA sticker that sold for $59K or more than $20K higher than any other CGC 9.8 graded copy:  :screwy:

RAD0A7D6201913_11052.jpg

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you are probably referring to books like this Hulk 181 with the CVA sticker that sold for $59K or more than $20K higher than any other CGC 9.8 graded copy:  :screwy:

RAD0A7D6201913_11052.jpg

The Mile High part definitely had more to do with that sale. I imagine the combo helped a little more 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

CVA is about as ridiculous between paying 9.8 and 9.9

asm.thumb.JPG.81e01259ea970fad1db6210ac6896b3a.JPG

I mean if you got the money and are willing to spend it haha, I ain’t gunna judge. It’s not like we’re talking a buy it now on the exchange or eBay situation. Lots of bids from atleast 2, but likely more people went into that 9.9 sale. I don’t personally own any 9.9’s myself, but for the right book I’d pay a solid premium.

17 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
On 2/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, lou_fine said:

RAD0A7D6201913_11052.jpg

The Mile High part definitely had more to do with that sale. I imagine the combo helped a little more 🤷‍♂️

This is not your Edgar Church Mile High which is highly desired in the hobby place, but rather a Chuck Rozanski marketing hyped Mile High II which is no longer even recognized by CGC as a pedigree anymore since these books were just part of a huge warehouse find with multiple (sometimes even hundreds) copies of each book.  :gossip:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This is not your Edgar Church Mile High which is highly desired in the hobby place, but rather a Chuck Rozanski marketing hyped Mile High II which is no longer even recognized by CGC as a pedigree anymore since these books were just part of a huge warehouse find with multiple (sometimes even hundreds) copies of each book.  :gossip:

Oh yeah I know 😁. However, it’s still the only explanation I or anyone will be able to come up with for why a $30K-$35K book went for $59K. Wasn’t the CVA Part, that’s for sure. That might have helped some, but not that much.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I know many people think it’s a scam, but I have seen many books sell for a solid premium with it on.

I guess it really depends on your definition of a scam?  (shrug)

After all, nobody is putting a gun to the head of these bidders and forcing them to put in these ridiculous bids.  Especially in this highly label-centric marketplace which we now have for relatively common books, would you consider it a scam that buyers are oftentimes paying multiples more to win a CGC 9.8 graded copy of a book as compared to a CGC 9.6 graded copy of the same book?  Especially in light of the fact that grading is still nothing more than a third party subjective opinion at a given point in time, and what is graded as a 9.6 can sometimes be graded as a 9.8 on another day and vice versa, without anything being done to the book at all in the interim. hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it really depends on your definition of a scam?  (shrug)

After all, nobody is putting a gun to the head of these bidders and forcing them to put in these ridiculous bids.  Especially in this highly label-centric marketplace which we now have for relatively common books, would you consider it a scam that buyers are oftentimes paying multiples more to win a CGC 9.8 graded copy of a book as compared to a CGC 9.6 graded copy of the same book?  Especially in light of the fact that grading is still nothing more than a third party subjective opinion at a given point in time, and what is graded as a 9.6 can sometimes be graded as a 9.8 on another day and vice versa, without anything being done to the book at all in the interim. hm

Yeah I don’t know. I’ve just seen a lot of people say they feel it’s a scam in Facebook groups. An element added on top of grading that seems unnecessary is the general opinion I’ve seen, but to me I can only go by what I’ve experienced. And more often I feel I’ve seen it create additional value to a book. No always mind you, but more often.

Edited by LDarkseid1

40 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Any predictions on this beautiful Marvel Comics #1 CGC 6.0 (Nic Cage Collection) in the next C-Link auction? The infamous 9.4 went for 1.2 mil in 2019 and a 1.0 for $52K in 2018, both on Heritage.

9894468E-EA08-49E6-82C1-D5EF6334812A.jpeg

Probably one kidney and both nuts.

1. The Marvel #1 is currently at $50,000. Will be interested to see where it finishes--I'd predict somewhere in the mid six figures.
  2. For this auction, they've added a thumbnail to the "check your bids" page, and I don't like it. It's really limited how many books I can see per page.