• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My experience with CCS (although fully acknowledged as limited) is that they have a tendency to damage staples (fully popped in some cases).  

It's free with every 10th pressing. 

Just now, bpc3qh said:

image.png.593a4378ba061c01618dfaec33b20e10.png

$42,278.

does Solomon Grundy still appear in stories today?  How big was he in the silver age?

I guess I'm asking simply out of ignorance.  To me, this seems like a strong price for a character I've always thought of as a mostly golden age villain.

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

does Solomon Grundy still appear in stories today?  How big was he in the silver age?

I guess I'm asking simply out of ignorance.  To me, this seems like a strong price for a character I've always thought of as a mostly golden age villain.

He was reintroduced in the silver age, and appeared in the first season of Stargirl (and is set-up to return), as well as multiple episodes of the 1990s DCAU Justice League, as well as continuing in the comics. Plus his GA covers are classics.

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:
On 2/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'd say somewhere between $42-48k, so approximately 3.5-4x guide.

image.png.593a4378ba061c01618dfaec33b20e10.png

$42,278.

Yes indeed, big congrats to you on getting it pretty bang on with your price range as it came in on the lower end of it.  :applause:

Hopefully, you was lucky enough to be able to find some generous person to fund you the first $25K to help you pick up this beauty of a book.  :wishluck:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:
1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

He was reintroduced in the silver age, and appeared in the first season of Stargirl (and is set-up to return), as well as multiple episodes of the 1990s DCAU Justice League, as well as continuing in the comics. Plus his GA covers are classics.

Well, let's not forget about his multiple appearances in the recent Gotham TV series which just wrapped up its 5-season run last year.  (thumbsu

As for the high prices on this book, like you said, it's all about the classic cover as this book has always been a favorite of collectors and finished up very highly in the GA All-Time Classic cover survey which Heritage held a few years ago.  If I remember correctly, that's the one where 'Tec 31 finished on top followed by Suspense 3 and then Fantastic 3, with Punch 12 just missing the podium.  :luhv:  :luhv:  :takeit:

I thought prices were pretty strong overall.  The Batman’s were on fire !

Batman 2 in 3.0 for $7176

Batman 8 in 8.5 with an ugly miswrap for over $10k

Batman 20 in 7.5 for $3400 (about what I paid for an 8.5 a few years back and felt I over paid)

Batman 30 in 7.0 for $1400

Batman 66 in 7.0 for $2322 (I paid 2655 for an 8.5 in 2016)

Anybody else here or is it just me who's surprised that the current top bid for this HTF key issue of More Fun is still at such a low price:  :whatthe: 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmore%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1459506&id=1459506&itemType=0

00032781685000113774185001.jpg

From the front cover scan, this would certainly appear to be a very sharp copy with stron colors, and yet it is still languishing at only $26,750 or at a rather huge 32% discount to condition value.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any last minute bids that's going to push the price of this book up to where it rightfully belongs.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

Relative to its DC Adventure twin partner in crime, I thought that the More Fun's had been picking up quite a bit of interest and demand as reflected in the prices for some of their recent auctions.  It will definitely be interesting to see how some of these More Fun's do in the CL auction tonight because it appears that they have a rather nice selection of them, with quite a few of them in grade, and yet the prices on them are still very reasonable at this current point in time.  hm   :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Anybody else here or is it just me who's surprised that the current top bid for this HTF key issue of More Fun is still at such a low price:  :whatthe: 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmore%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1459506&id=1459506&itemType=0

From the front cover scan, this would certainly appear to be a very sharp copy with stron colors, and yet it is still languishing at only $26,750 or at a rather huge 32% discount to condition value.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any last minute bids that's going to push the price of this book up to where it rightfully belongs.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

Relative to its DC Adventure twin partner in crime, I thought that the More Fun's had been picking up quite a bit of interest and demand as reflected in the prices for some of their recent auctions.  It will definitely be interesting to see how some of these More Fun's do in the CL auction tonight because it appears that they have a rather nice selection of them, with quite a few of them in grade, and yet the prices on them are still very reasonable at this current point in time.  hm   :luhv:

Yes, I placed a tracking bid and at the current level, I will be a active bidder but sadly I think the final hammer will be higher buy quite a bit. 

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f7fd38329a8fc780ff07d0cf5df98095.PNG

Was over on the Cap 1 thread and it would appear that this nicer presenting CGC 8.0 lower graded copy actually did better than the not quite as nicely presenting CGC 8.5 higher graded copy of HA last month.  :whatthe:   (thumbsu

Unlikr the more recent BA, CA, or waht have you, it's certainly nice to see that in the GA marketplace, a lot more attention is actually paid to the underlying book itself as opposed to just that big number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  hm  :applause:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Was over on the Cap 1 thread and it would appear that this nicer presenting CGC 8.0 lower graded copy actually did better than the not quite as nicely presenting CGC 8.5 higher graded copy of HA last month.  :whatthe:   (thumbsu

Unlikr the more recent BA, CA, or waht have you, it's certainly nice to see that in the GA marketplace, a lot more attention is actually paid to the underlying book itself as opposed to just that big number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  hm  :applause:

It was a spectacular looking copy

16 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

It was a spectacular looking copy

I guess that's why it managed to get one of those CVA Exceptional stickers.  (thumbsu

Surprised that the More Fun 53 didn't also get one of them from how sharp the front cover looks, but I guess either the consignor didn't want to bother with it or that back cover scan with the slight discoloration might explain why.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, atomised said:

as a bidder on some of these lots, I'm refraining from commenting until after the auction closes.  I don't want to invite too much competition in :roflmao:

Specifically, what lots would these be since that super nice looking (relative to grade) Cap 1 is already spoken for?  hm :baiting:

Come on now........it's no fun going against weaker competition as they are just a bunch of losers.  What you want to do is face off against stronger competition so that you can up your game here.  :slapfight:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That is a remarkably pretty copy of a tough book.  What I like most about it, along with the rich colors, is how nice the spine looks - it hasn't been smashed flat in an effort to get a higher grade.

Edited by RareHighGrade