• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which non variant moderns do you feel are worth slabbing
1 1

26 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

ASM 361 was mentioned, how far back do you want to go @William-James88 ?

I was mainly looking at the general accepted definition of the era for moderns, around late 90s till now.

About asm 361, I have one. Very nice, very flat, looks like near mint minus or better (the usual ebay description when you're not sure how high the grade is for a new book)  but there is a small cut around the middle at the bottom edge of the cover. Is that a common issue with that specific comic? I would love to send it in but I wonder how much this penalizes the comic.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, William-James88 said:

I was mainly looking at the general accepted definition of the era for moderns, around late 90s till now.

About asm 361, I have one. Very nice, very flat, looks like near mint minus or better (the usual ebay description when you're not sure how high the grade is for a new book)  but there is a small cut around the middle at the bottom edge of the cover. Is that a common issue with that specific comic? I would love to send it in but I wonder how much this penalizes the comic.

I sent one to CGC with the same type of "thing" on the bottom cover, unpressed from this OO collection im sending books in from, and it came back a 9.6 White Page, which is what i had it mentally graded at with the thing on the bottom cover in my head as a printers defect. So i have at least seen it...and did i have a 9.8 without it? I dont think so, but im hard on grading books going to CGC. 

Edited by KryptoSpidey

21 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I sent one to CGC with the same type of "thing" on the bottom cover, unpressed from this OO collection im sending books in from, and it came back a 9.6 White Page, which is what i had it mentally graded at with the thing on the bottom cover in my head as a printers defect. So i have at least seen it...and did i have a 9.8 without it? I dont think so, but im hard on grading books going to CGC. 

Thanks this is very helpful. I was pretty sure it was a printer defect since it's a clean cut, not a tear, no filaments. Glad to know they aren't too harsh on it. It's the only decernable defect on mine so I will let you guys know what it comes back as. I wouldn't mind 9.6.

Edited by William-James88

On 2/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, William-James88 said:

As the title says. I can see how batman 655 can be worth slabbing if yours is high grade. What other examples do you have and which non variant moderns are you sending in to get slabbed?

Anything that will net more money than selling raw and be worth the time and effort involved. (shrug)

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks this is very helpful. I was pretty sure it was a printer defect since it's a clean cut, not a tear, no filaments. Glad to know they aren't too harsh on it. It's the only decernable defect on mine so I will let you guys know what it comes back as. I wouldn't mind 9.6.

I have an ASM 361 that has the printing defect. I had it slabbed and it came back 9.8. 

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I had the same thing on my Gold Spawn 300. I brought it off eBay but it came with a nick on the bottom of the spine. I send it in to the McFarlane signing anyway as I wanted it signed and wasn't bothered about the grade. Came back at 9.8. I couldn't believe it when I picked it up from CGC in London.

3 hours ago, Jitstark said:

I had the same thing on my Gold Spawn 300. I brought it off eBay but it came with a nick on the bottom of the spine. I send it in to the McFarlane signing anyway as I wanted it signed and wasn't bothered about the grade. Came back at 9.8. I couldn't believe it when I picked it up from CGC in London.

That's an awesome story, I am glad it worked out for you. My Saga 1 one has a nick on the bottom of the spine too, not sure how common that is on that book either.

But when it comes to these happy surprises though, this is what comes to mind:

image.jpeg.2f96bd01406b67a6339c495983efffa3.jpeg