• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you prefer the grade or the appearance of the book?

29 posts in this topic

I was looking at Master of Kung Fu #19 in order to buy myself a 9.8, but the 9.4, and even the 8.0 are visually more attractive. If you were me, would you choose 9.8 or 9.4? What is more important to you, the official grade or what the book actually look like?

I go by the appearance of the book. I see high grade books with horrendous centering and miscut wraps that are just eyesores to me and then I’ve seen mid grade books that still have enough of a sheen and minor imperfections that give it that personality. After all, it is a visual medium isn’t it?

Edited by B2D327

11 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

I go by the appearance of the book. I see high grade books with horrendous centering and miscut wraps that are just eyesores to me and then I’ve seen mid grade books that still have enough of a sheen and minor imperfections that give it that personality. After all, it is a visual medium isn’t it?

It's all about the eye candy...  ;)

I really want to say appearance, but my eye tends to gravitate towards the grade.  It also depends on the book.  However, I am now looking at the appearance of the actual book itself a lot more. 

I have a Punisher #3 that is a 9.8, but the centering is terrible. I'll probably look to sell it.

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I prefer lower-end 9s of vintage books. I.e. I'd rather have an Iron Man #1 in 9.4 rather than a 9.8 grade. It would have to have a nice wrap, though.

Personal preference. Just adds to the vintage aspect IMO.

Agreed & the money saved on the price difference can go towards a different book 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

And the only difference between them could be a small unobtrusive tear in the cover...

Or on the back cover-- although I will sell extras as I upgrade, for the most part I'm just a collector and I don't see comics as an investment-- I use the stock market for that-- so a small tear on the back cover of an otherwise beautiful book is a win for me.

1 hour ago, Deadpoolica said:

Agreed & the money saved on the price difference can go towards a different book 

That's what I'm starting to learning - buy the BOOK, not the grade.  I have to keep telling myself that!

17 minutes ago, an99 said:

What book is it?

It's not any one book.  From 2003 to 2013 I only collected Actions from #1 through #158, focusing heavy on #1 through #100  I sought books 4.0 and higher, with nice eye appeal.  No tape or writing on the cover.  #8 was the only non Superman cover I never found.  There were others up to #70  That eluded  me,