• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High end book fractional ownership
1 1

84 posts in this topic

Does anyone think having fractional ownership in very expensive books has potential to catch on? So therefore, let’s say an opportunity presented itself for a group of people to purchase a Detective 27 in fine condition for $$$$, and instead of a single buyer shelling out all the money, a group of 5 to 10 investors pulled their funds together to purchase it. The two caveats I see are, where the book is held, and what if one of the investors wants out before the others. 

Obviously the book doesn’t get passed around from person to person. The similarity would be in a group of people buying into any high value asset. 

11 minutes ago, fishpaul said:

Does anyone think having fractional ownership in very expensive books has potential to catch on? So therefore, let’s say an opportunity presented itself for a group of people to purchase a Detective 27 in fine condition for $$$$, and instead of a single buyer shelling out all the money, a group of 5 to 10 investors pulled their funds together to purchase it. The two caveats I see are, where the book is held, and what if one of the investors wants out before the others. 

Obviously the book doesn’t get passed around from person to person. The similarity would be in a group of people buying into any high value asset. 

I thought of doing this sort of 'mutual fund' approach towards ownership nearly 30 years ago...a lot of heads nodding in agreement, but when it came time to put up funds, everyone scattered back to their hiding places, like cockroaches in the dark.

20 minutes ago, fishpaul said:

So therefore, let’s say an opportunity presented itself for a group of people to purchase a Detective 27 in fine condition for $$$$

say ... 1Mil ? as advertised on Metro site

Edited by Gotham Kid

What doesn’t make this form of ownership easy is, where to books are held, how does someone liquidate or divest their ownership position, and the ability to see what’s going on behind the scene. Also as we all know, comic book values go up and down. They run in cycles pretty much in lockstep with other assets appreciating. So during times when the economy is firing on all cylinders, and more people have disposable income, values appreciate. The inverse during recessions. One would like to think that comics are highly liquid. Not the case. Agree or disagree, the higher the value, the fewer buyers available to purchase. 

1 hour ago, fishpaul said:

You should check this thread out.

Get a digital copy... print it out on construction paper and send it to CBCS - with luck they will mark it as a .01 Restored copy. 

I kid I kid...

My friend actually talked to me about this not that long ago.  I listened, nodded and then flat out said "no."  I think the biggest thing for me was not being able to have the book in hand.

24 minutes ago, TTV Norman CU said:

It's been tried. Failed miserably.

http://www.gotcgc.com/

It was also tried on comicshares.com

The idea is good.  The execution will be difficult, and it will require major support from major players in both the comic book industry and experts in regulated markets and security exchanges... not just a guy in a garage (see PGX, for example) or a regular comic dealer who would like to make a little extra money.

It'll happen for real when the CGC level of people/businesses get involved.  The PGX do-it-yourself knock-off version isn't going to happen.

P.S. It doesn't have to start with comic books.  Selling shares in million dollar gold coins or paintings (or whatever) would also work, then comics get added to the exchange later.

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, fishpaul said:

this was talked about previously and there is a website where you would buy shares I brought up a few issues of how legitimate it is and security also how do you get your money back etc... 

I tried to find the thread but not luck... 

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Won't work. Too many cooks spoil the vichyssoise.

oh man I was looking for that clip we need part 6 the ending lol where it lands on the wet dirty ground and lightning hits it.. lol 

wow that was season 2 only damn... I thought it was much later.

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You made me google "vichyssoise".

what is it I was just about to google it as well..