• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High end book fractional ownership
1 1

84 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't see that on hipcomic.com - they look like a regular auction site with comics for sale they mail to you.  Is there somewhere "within" the site that they do shares?

They have more information about what they are planning to do specially in the FAQ section. 

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Fair enough, but 10,000 shares at $100 each for a million dollar Detective #27 would probably get snapped up fast if there was a legit market available.  Every owner can still read a reprint if they get lonely, or they can just spend $10K on a Batman book they'd actually own... one which absolutely isn't a real Detective #27.

But, how do know the Detective 27 you own 1-10% of even exists?  Do you get physically see it before investing?  What assurances are there?

This would be so easy to rip people off.

Edited by D84

1 minute ago, D84 said:
31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Fair enough, but 10,000 shares at $100 each for a million dollar Detective #27 would probably get snapped up fast if there was a legit market available.  Every owner can still read a reprint if they get lonely, or they can just spend $10K on a Batman book they'd actually own... one which absolutely isn't a real Detective #27.

But, how do know the Detective 27 you own 1-10% of even exists?  Do you get physically see it before investing?  This would be so easy to rip people off.

If you're reading what I've been writing, you'll know that I want to see a fully-supported system from industry experts, SEC regulated, completely legit market.  In the same way we know mutual funds investing in gold have the gold somewhere, we'd know that the comics exist and we'd even have their serial numbers and pretty pictures.  It would be the real thing, controlled by laws and commissions, not some mom-and-pop-please-buy-my-comic-shares-and-just-trust-me scenario. 

6 minutes ago, D84 said:

But, how do know the Detective 27 you own 1-10% of even exists?  Do you get physically see it before investing?  What assurances are there?

This would be so easy to rip people off.

HipComic lets you see the book if you have a certain amount invested in the shares so you can validate it yourself I guess or have a buddy you has a lot of shares invested check it out and verify it for you.

Also you can probably track the sale of Tec 27 as I am sure there aren't many sales of that book that go around without someone here on the boards knowing or without it going to one of the Big auction houses.

8 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

https://www.hipcomic.com/invest/

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't see that on hipcomic.com - they look like a regular auction site with comics for sale they mail to you.  Is there somewhere "within" the site that they do shares?

Thanks - that link is helpful.  So they're trying to get enough investors to buy a CGC 7.0 Amazing Fantasy #15, and that will be their first comic (doesn't look like they'll meet the Feb. 15th deadline).

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If you're reading what I've been writing, you'll know that I want to see a fully-supported system from industry experts, SEC regulated, completely legit market.  In the same way we know mutual funds investing in gold have the gold somewhere, we'd know that the comics exist and we'd even have their serial numbers and pretty pictures.  It would be the real thing, controlled by laws and commissions, not some mom-and-pop-please-buy-my-comic-shares-and-just-trust-me scenario. 

I have read it, the problem is that even with all these securities from the government, fraud still happens. 

What's the point of this kind of risk for bragging rights on owning a % of a comic book?

1 minute ago, D84 said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I have read it, the problem is that even with all these securities from the government, fraud still happens. 

What's the point of this kind of risk for bragging rights on owning a % of a comic book?

If you don't get it, don't worry about it.  I own shares in companies in the stock market that I don't even care what they do or where they are located.  I'd much rather have some of my money in a legit Action Comics #1, and since I don't have $500,000 to buy a low grade copy, I need another legit option.

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:
7 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You made me google "vichyssoise".

what is it I was just about to google it as well..

The common phrase is 'too many cooks spoil the broth' but I decided to turn it up to 11

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Thanks - that link is helpful.  So they're trying to get enough investors to buy a CGC 7.0 Amazing Fantasy #15, and that will be their first comic (doesn't look like they'll meet the Feb. 15th deadline).

Np yeah dont think they will hit the Feb 15th deadline, maybe they will go for a lower priced ones with the commitments they have. I think they are trying to feel out if the industry is behind this or that its still a too early to market idea or if they need to market and explain the process better to generate the support. 

I put my email to reserve 2 shares. they will only ask you to sign the contract the interest is enough to buy the book. 

Just now, Krismusic said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Np yeah dont think they will hit the Feb 15th deadline, maybe they will go for a lower priced ones with the commitments they have. I think they are trying to feel out if the industry is behind this or that its still a too early to market idea or if they need to market and explain the process better to generate the support. 

I put my email to reserve 2 shares. they will only ask you to sign the contract the interest is enough to buy the book. 

Does their parent company have an actual exchange yet?  I see they do stamps and postcards, but are any of them all the way to the "buy/sell shares here" stage?

If you don't get it, don't worry about it.  I own shares in companies in the stock market that I don't even care what they do or where they are located.  I'd much rather have some of my money in a legit Action Comics #1, and since I don't have $500,000 to buy a low grade copy, I need another legit option.

I get it, but I respectfully disagree.

We're not going to change each other's minds here, but I respect you choice, if it's what you want to do.  I'm raising concerns to make sure people think it through before entering into something like this.

Edited by D84

Just now, D84 said:

I get, but I respectfully disagree.

We're not going to change each other's minds here, but I respect you choice, if it's what you want to do.  I'm raising concerns to make sure people think it through before entering into something like this.

No problem, and I agree that there needs to be a legit company in place before this is a real thing.  People should think it through.

But, I do disagree.  Currently, only about 100 people can own Action Comics #1 or they need to put together a group thing on their own and have partial ownership as well as all the contracts and lawyers and trust , etc. 

Like stocks, there should be a third option for Action Comics #1, and if 10,000 people want to own (some portion of) a real Action Comics #1, the world can't tell us "no" forever, especially not in the 21st century.

Notice that 10,000 people owning some portion of a real Action Comics #1 still leaves room for seven billion other people to think it's a dumb idea.  I just hope they don't all say so in this topic.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Does their parent company have an actual exchange yet?  I see they do stamps and postcards, but are any of them all the way to the "buy/sell shares here" stage?

not sure haven't investigated that much yet I was just starting to look up their partners ones a VC by the looks of it so that gives more reliability to the SEC regulations and lawyer contract work as I am sure they will have a standard contract that they will available for the masses. 

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

I get it, but I respectfully disagree.

you should check out the Link I shared for @valiantman it has a lot of the issues addressed that we all raised here. It's in the FAQ section.

https://www.hipcomic.com/invest/

Maybe they could all just pass it around like the Stanley Cup? :banana:

Seriously, I think this is most appealing for the current owners of Action #1's as this opens up their pool of buyers and increases sales liquidity.

Apart from that, I'm not much for it on the buy-in side, as everyone's definition of "legit" backers and regulators can vary greatly. Legal and criminal are not always antonyms in this world, unfortunately.

Edited by Readcomix
Typo

35 minutes ago, TTV Norman CU said:

Sounds like 10,000 guys with small wedding tackle and low self-esteem :ohnoez:

You've been here about 17 minutes and already thought of 10,000 guys' packages?  Yeah, that one is on you. 

Quoted for posterity. :whistle:

1 hour ago, rapid08 said:

Fractional share of an asset that doesn't produce anything and is 100% speculative? Sounds...less than enticing

Isn't the "fractional share" of a comic always 100% and 100% speculative?  It's risk reduction to only own 2%.  lol

Interesting, but not for me, under any dollar amount.   Don't think it has been mentioned, but Wayne Greztky and Bruce McNall jointly purchased a T206 Honus Wagner for $451,000, in the early 1990's.  50/50 is not a huge fraction, but I wonder who got to store it.  Was it in a mutually held safety deposit box?  A home safe?   McNall turned out to be kind of a scum bag, but Gretzky never turned his back on him. 

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Interesting, but not for me, under any dollar amount.   Don't think it has been mentioned, but Wayne Greztky and Bruce McNall jointly purchased a T206 Honus Wagner for $451,000, in the early 1990's.  50/50 is not a huge fraction, but I wonder who got to store it.  Was it in a mutually held safety deposit box?  A home safe?   McNall turned out to be kind of a scum bag, but Gretzky never turned his back on him. 

I believe Gretzky loaned the Honus Wagner to Wal-Mart for a nationwide tour.