• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

215 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Wow. Think I could get a lot for this?

Waterston.jpg

Gee I'd love to say yes but gonna say no. I collect tons of lossless music as well as comics. Starting to look at autographs. For the most aprt, they are by comparison a LOT cheaper than comic books and just as cool IMO.

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

These are pivotal works, and I truly love me some Calvin and Hobbes, but seriously?

3CC6C4ED-3C09-431F-87ED-05D476E5A80B.png

E4C29F14-4A4D-4627-AD7B-4C44E052BF2C.png

In the barren desert of Calvin & Hobbes material, there's a lot of very thirsty hunters. Offer up a couple glasses of water every now and then, and they'll sell for their weight in gold. 

I'm sure some more experienced collectors can chime in, but to me, C&H original material is the single biggest supply/demand imbalance of the last 40 years. It's so skewed. There's just nothing out there, so even lithos go insane.

53 minutes ago, joefixit2 said:

How much did the lithographs sell for originally?

Heritage lists 6 previous sales of both. 2 years ago The Last Sunday was selling for $5700, but the most recent sale was $28k! The other one has sold in a range anywhere from $3700 to $9700.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/1/2021 at 2:49 AM, Pickie said:

24523578%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

10th ever available daily, Sept. auction :x 

When you say 10th ever available daily, is that confirmable? I was not aware that there is a census of C & H dailies that are out in the wild and not part of the Ohio collection. If so, is there a census for Sundays too?

Edited by stinkininkin

On 8/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, stinkininkin said:

When you say 10th ever available daily, is that confirmable? I was not aware that there is a census of C & H dailies that are out in the wild and not part of the Ohio collection. If so, is there a census for Sundays too?

I don't know of any other daily that was publicly available but the nine different ones which can be found in the HA archives and with this being no. 10. If there were more, some pics would be much appreciated! 🙂

I didn't look into the other art forms like Sundays (one?), covers (one?) and sketches ... 

Indeed, in this collection is another one*: 

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=281737 

The current piece is worth 55k (due to sun wear), I think, but to get it you must pay 75k. Just my guesses.

*(although I doubt it was publicly available, rather a first pick access to a dealer's offer?)

Edited by Pickie

On 8/2/2021 at 11:37 PM, Pickie said:

The current piece is worth 55k (due to sun wear), I think, but to get it you must pay 75k. Just my guesses.

*(although I doubt it was publicly available, rather a first pick access to a dealer's offer?)

Your guess isn’t even close. The way Eric puts a collection together making a nifty ROI is not paramount to his collecting model.
$75k is nothing to sneeze at. That’s not what I mean. It just won’t get you this strip.

Now just for fun keep track of the September HA auction there’s a CH original strip offered in today’s sizzling OA market. I don’t think six figures will be a problem. 

On 8/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, grapeape said:

Now just for fun keep track of the September HA auction there’s a CH original strip offered in today’s sizzling OA market. I don’t think six figures will be a problem. 

You mean the strip being mentioned eight posts above? That's the one I meant with "current" piece. :hi:

On 8/3/2021 at 2:37 AM, Pickie said:

Sadly looks like a decent amount of fading on this one coming up.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, Pickie said:

You mean the strip being mentioned eight posts above? That's the one I meant with "current" piece. :hi:

My bad. Every once in awhile I crawl out from a cloud of enthusiasm without putting glasses on!