• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

215 posts in this topic

just found out that Bill Watterson has released a new illustrated book called 'The Mysteries' which is a total departure from his previous work. has anyone picked it up and care to share their thoughts?

Ive tried very hard to like it but am disappointed. I really expected more out of Watterson. The book itself looks gorgeous, but that’s it for me. The artistic rendering of the characters look like cabbage patch dolls, and the narrative is underwhelming. It takes 5 minutes to read, literally. I respect Watterson trying for a cosmic fable, but it just didn’t work for me.

he needs to get back to Calvin and Hobbes 

On 10/13/2023 at 7:21 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ive tried very hard to like it but am disappointed. I really expected more out of Watterson. The book itself looks gorgeous, but that’s it for me. The artistic rendering of the characters look like cabbage patch dolls, and the narrative is underwhelming. It takes 5 minutes to read, literally. I respect Watterson trying for a cosmic fable, but it just didn’t work for me.

he needs to get back to Calvin and Hobbes 

Probably would've been better off had he done a Spaceman Spiff cosmic epic.

I know others have said this before, but in my personal quest to original Watterson stuff, and finding out how much it goes for, I was struck by the fact this is exactly why the man didn't commercialize anything or sell originals.

To be honest, I don't agree with his worldview, but over time and learning about how he feels about his art, I've decided out of respect (even if I get a crazy opportunity to grab something for a steal) to never buy any originals until after he dies.  

That said, he seems to feel so strongly about this stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if everything winds up in a museum or burned.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:31 PM, ArtBana said:

I know others have said this before, but in my personal quest to original Watterson stuff, and finding out how much it goes for, I was struck by the fact this is exactly why the man didn't commercialize anything or sell originals.

To be honest, I don't agree with his worldview, but over time and learning about how he feels about his art, I've decided out of respect (even if I get a crazy opportunity to grab something for a steal) to never buy any originals until after he dies.  

That said, he seems to feel so strongly about this stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if everything winds up in a museum or burned.

It already is as most of it is at the Cartoon and Library Museum at Ohio State University.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:00 PM, MIL0S said:

just found out that Bill Watterson has released a new illustrated book called 'The Mysteries' which is a total departure from his previous work. has anyone picked it up and care to share their thoughts?

Bought it today over lunch and read it in about 5 minutes.  I absolutely love it, and I think I will hold off saying more until others have a chance to read it.  It is very different from Calvin and Hobbes though.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:43 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Thanks for all the great info. Owning a published Calvin and Hobbes really is a dream come true for this Ohio kid. 

Here is a picture of the strip. I still have not had it framed yet. 

IMG_4288.jpeg

As I started collecting I didn’t take into account the cost of display and storage materials. After I tracked down a “very uncommon” item I bought a fire safe. 

it just dawned on me - Owning an original might make me a nervous wreck. I probably would build a panic room just for the safety and security. LOL. 

I’d still get it. I just need to budget for the armed guard. 

On 12/5/2023 at 2:23 AM, Robservations247 said:

After I tracked down a “very uncommon” item I bought a fire safe. 

If this uncommon item is a rare/significant comic, some fire safes can cause staple rust. Check out the threads on them; there’s a few. 
I should specify — it’s usually some subset of gun safes, as I recall the threads. 

Edited by Readcomix
Added info