• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SPIDER-WOMAN directed by Olivia Wilde (2022?)
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Spider-Woman has been a long-standing member of the Marvel Universe, but her complicated backstory has had her shift back and forth in prominence. Despite the fluctuations, there’s always been a question of whether the Marvel Cinematic Universe could ever bring her to the big screen.

As reported earlier by MCU Cosmic, it does appear that Spider-Woman will be coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But the Illuminerdi can now confirm not only that there will be a film starring Jessica Drew, but also know who Sony wants to direct and star in said film.

Right now, the only character associated with the film is Jessica Drew. She’s the original character to bear the name Spider-Woman, although others such as Julia Carpenter, Mattie Franklin, and alternate universe heroes like Gwen Stacy and Mayday Parker have gone by that name as well.

Sony appears to be interested in having Michelle MacLaren direct the film. Although she hasn’t directed a feature film, she has a deep resume of work directing episodes of Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, and X-Files. She also won two Primetime Emmy Awards for her work on Breaking Bad.

Edited by Bosco685

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't hate the idea of Spider-Woman, but it's not a character that will convince me to see another MCU film in-theaters.

That's why Sony will fill that void for you.

:baiting:

With rumors circulating today that Michelle McLaren is being eyed by Sony to direct a ‘Spider-Woman’ film, something about it didn’t sit right with me.

After doing a bit of digging, I’ve recovered a list of the characters Sony holds the rights to, and it’s very interesting to note that Sony does not exclusively hold the rights to Jessica Drew, the character synonymous with the title of Spider-Woman.

A while back, ‘Morbius’ writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway were tapped to pen a -script for a ‘Madame Web’ solo film, but it seems strange that Sony would want a movie about Cassandra Webb, a blind elderly woman hooked up to life support watching over the multiverse.

Now, if we look past Jessica Drew and Cassandra Webb, we’ll reach the second Spider-Woman and Madame Web: Julia Carpenter.

Julia Carpenter became the second Spider-Woman after being given a mix of spider venom and plant extract that gave her a power set similar to Spider-Man’s. After retiring and then re-emerging as the heroine Arachne, Carpenter then became the second Madame Web after Cassandra Webb was mortally wounded. When she became the new Madame Web, she inherited Webb’s prophetic powers and blindness.

Now, I have a few reasons for believing ‘Spider-Woman’ and ‘Madame Web’ could be the same films.

Jessica Drew is not fully owned by Sony, they have shared rights with Marvel, which means Feige and co. would have to sign off on the production of this film.

Jessica Drew is synonymous with the title of ‘Spider-Woman’, a fake-out with which character is actually leading the film wouldn’t be pleasing to fans.

Does it really make sense for the original Madame Webb to have her own film?

If Feige wouldn’t sign off on Sony making a solo Jessica Drew film it makes sense they’d pivot to the second version of the character under a different name.

The ‘Spider-Woman’ news today said Michele McLaren was being eyed to direct with Sony wanting an Alicia Vikander-type to star, but no writer. We know ‘Madame Web’ has writers, so if you put it all together you get a film with a finished -script that’s searching for a director and star, rather than the hunt for a director and actor to take on a -script for a different film that doesn’t yet even have writers.

There’s no reason they couldn’t be two separate films, but it just makes far more sense for them to be the same movie. And even if they aren’t the same movie, there’s a very good chance one of the two will be the Sony Marvel movie that will bow out in October 2021.

As far as I've been able to tell people are basing the "Spidey friends and foes are in the MCU" idea upon something EXTREMELY vague that Feige said shortly after Sony and Marvel signed that new deal to keep Spidey in the MCU:

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement Friday. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

That doesn't mean anything at all, yet I've read a few articles assuming it means Morbius, Venom, and the other Spidey rogues are in the MCU, but I can't find ANYTHING substantiating that assumption.  If someone has seen anything more specific from Feige or anyone else at Marvel or Sony, please do share.

Rumor Roundup: SPIDER-WOMAN Update

spider-woman-header.jpg

We've already had reports of Sony developing a Spider-Woman movie, but a new rumor now suggests that Marvel's Kevin Feige wants to make a deal with the studio that would allow the character to swing over into the MCU.

According to Charles Murphy (via MCU Exchange) the deal would allow both parties to ulilize Jessica Drew, similar to how Tom Holland's Peter Parker can currently appear in The MCU and Sony's separate Spidey universe (Venom, Morbius, etc).

RUMOR: Kevin Feige is Interested in a New Deal with Sony for 'Spider-Woman' in the MCU

When it was announced that Sony and Disney mended ties and opted for a renewed deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU, fans breathed a sigh of relief at the wonderful notion of Spidey remaining in the family. Now, a new potential deal between the two companies has arisen, this time it’s about Spider-Woman. In the latest episode of the Murphy’s Law Podcast, Charles Murphy shared that he heard about Kevin Feige‘s renewed interest in working with Sony to properly bring Jessica Drew aka Spider-Woman into the MCU, the same way they did for Peter Parker.

"The last that I heard, they were at least having conversations with Sony about trying to make it a co-opt. I know that Feige is at least interested in making a Jessica Drew movie with Sony"

The rights to Jessica Drew are complicated and that’s putting it mildly. She has ties to the High Evolutionary and HYDRA, properties that are owned by Disney. A retcon of her HYDRA origins rehashed it into something more akin to how Peter Parker got his powers. The character found prominence in the comics thanks to her ties to the New Avengers and S.W.O.R.D.. However, the moniker Spider-Woman is a name shared by a bunch of peripheral Spider-Man characters and therefore is owned by Sony. But the Jessica Drew character alone, sans all the spider references, makes it seem like she’s a character owned by Disney. In fact, Jessica Drew has more connections to the larger Marvel world than she does Spider-Man’s. And the fact that the character is missing from the list of the live-action solo Marvel films Sony is developing for themselves makes the character’s ownership suspect.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

However, the moniker Spider-Woman is a name shared by a bunch of peripheral Spider-Man characters and therefore is owned by Sony. But the Jessica Drew character alone, sans all the spider references, makes it seem like she’s a character owned by Disney. In fact, Jessica Drew has more connections to the larger Marvel world than she does Spider-Man’s.

Been a fan of Spider-Woman since the 70s, and I don't remember her EVER appearing in Spider-Man.  I bet it happened at some point but only briefly.  The only association between them at all is spiders.

But who knows what their contract says, could be anything.  All we've ever been able to do is reverse-engineer it from the actions both studios take, so if the rumor is true and Feige is talking to Sony about Jessica Drew, they must own the rights.  We'll see.

Does Sony's Marvel Movie Delay Mean Spider-Woman Is in the Works at Marvel Studios?

Movie studios have been changing things up regarding their upcoming slates due to the coronavirus, and that goes for Sony and Marvel Studios as well. Recently Marvel Studios pushed back all of its movies in 2020 and well into 2021, with things starting to even out again in 2022. Sony also recently pushed back seven of its films, but it was the film slated for October 8th, 2021 that really caught people's eye. The reason for the attention is the fact that the movie wasn't just pushed back, but delayed indefinitely, and some fans on social media started theorizing that the untitled movie might be the recently rumored Spider-Woman live-action film. That also got some to thinking that the movie might have been delayed indefintiely due to Marvel Studios' future plans, but again, nothing is official from either Sony or Marvel in that regard.

There's a lot of ifs in this scenario, including the fact that Sony still hasn't officially confirmed any plans for Spider-Woman aside from the Spider-Women spin-off to Into The Spider-Verse. Because that hasn't been confirmed we also have no way of knowing what movie was slated originally for the October 8th, 2021 date, though we do know that the date will now be used by the live-action Uncharted movie.

As for the whole Marvel Studios thing, Spider-Woman is one of the murkier characters in regards to film rights. It would appear that Sony has the rights to the character since she is appearing in the Spider-Verse spin-off, and that character will be based on Jessica Drew. Still, the character has been a fixture of Avengers and the greater MCU as often as she's been part of the Spider-Verse side of things, though that has increased over the past 5 to 6 years quite a bit.

That being said, it was most likely moved because of the way their timeline has been maneuvered and shifted, resulting in the need to figure out a place that suits it best. Sure Marvel Studios could have made a deal similar to what they did with Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy (trading characters essentially), but for now, we'll just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Has The Spider-Buggy appeared in a MCU/Spiderman/Sony/whatever film yet?

Not yet. Peter has to find that first in Stark's demolished garage. But once he does...

cd6fd18692e1ff5f9726abe962216790.jpg

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Not yet. Peter has to find that first in Stark's demolished garage. But once he does...

cd6fd18692e1ff5f9726abe962216790.jpg

had a buddy in high school that was so into Disney films and stuff he had a license plate on his car that said "Yensid." You know, "Disney" backwards. (Guess somebody got the the "Disney" vanity plate before my buddy) Some hot girls drove by and screamed at us, "What's 'Yensid' mean?!" And he yelled back, "It's Disney backwards! You know Walt Disney!" And the hot girls drove off....

Edited by NoMan

Emily Hampshire known for Syfy’s 12 Monkeys and Pop’s Schitt’s Creek is interested in joining the ranks of Marvel superheroes, be it on the big or small screen. Hampshire has shown interest in suiting up in the past, when she commented on a Tweet where a fan suggested she would be perfect for the role of Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman. 

In a recent interview with ComicBook.com, Hampshire was asked about her apparent interest in the role. “I would love to do that. I didn’t know where that [Tweet] came from, but wherever it came from, I agree and I like it. I would be just good at it. I would be so into that.” This could be perfect timing seeing as Sony has a Spider-Woman movie in the works and has already shown interest in Michelle McLaren as director. 

If Spider-Woman isn’t going to happen, Hampshire had another suggestion of which Marvel hero she could bring to life on screen. 

“The only other one I can think of is – I’d be very into playing She-Hulk,” Hampshire stated. “I know that’s happening, I’ve been hearing something about that. I didn’t realize that – I looked up the comic book and I didn’t realize she was such a… You think of She-Hulk and muscles and stuff, but the person who’s behind it is just such a cool character.”

Emily-Hampshire-schitts-creek.jpg?resize

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is not only growing its slate of its Universe of Marvel Characters but is building on the female characters at the center of it, and looks to have landed one of the sought female directors in Hollywood. Sources tell Deadline that Olivia Wilde has closed a deal to direct and develop a secret Marvel film project revolving around a female character in the universe. While not confirmed, it is expected that the story will be centered on Spider-Woman.

Sony had no comment.

The film will be penned by Katie Silberman with Amy Pascal producing. Rachel O’Connor will exec produce.

Wilde, Silberman and Pascal already have strong ties and the three are working on a Christmas buddy film at Universal they hope to do prior to this one. Gary Spinelli penned a previous draft of the -script.