• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade Mystery In Space 34 (Church Copy)

30 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif

I wonder what they charge. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

9.0/9.2

Really need to see the back on higher grade comics... gossip.gif [/quote

I bought the book so long ago--back in 1990 or perhaps in 1989-so I don't remember what I paid for it. I remember who I bought it from, though.

27_laughing.gif

I wonder what they charge. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

9.0/9.2

Really need to see the back on higher grade comics... gossip.gif [/quote

I bought the book so long ago--back in 1990 or perhaps in 1989-so I don't remember what I paid for it. I remember who I bought it from, though.

i think he meant what the Interplanetary Towing Service charges blush.gif

and i think the 9.0 - 9.2 seems about right assuming a beautiful back cover............. thumbsup2.gif

This is a very nice copy, but..........

I'm thinking this was purchased from MH, and not a church book?

Really guys, in the 9.0's?

Maybe I'm just not seeing this book clearly.

Isn't there at least one spine break?

Multiple (8) color breaking marks along the spine.

Broken overflash at the upper left corner.

Maybe a little loose upper left staple.

Little gunk on the white of the spine in the lower 1/4.

Big Grease Date that isn't eye appealing.

4 rounded corners,

Color breaking crease on the right side of the cover about 4" up?

Before I read your posts, I figured that this fall in the 7.0 range, now I don't know what to think?

Release the Hounds..........

i was thinking 8 myself. who knows if there is a Church bump, or at least something that counteracts the DC drop...right, Harry?

confused-smiley-013.gif

i was thinking 8 myself. who knows if there is a Church bump, or at least something that counteracts the DC drop...right, Harry?

confused-smiley-013.gif

i must admit that i was influenced by the "Church" claim. and i missed those "eight?" spine nicks probably because of the miswrap. still even for an early 50's DC, that's gotta go an 8.0+..................

Not the Edgar Church pedigree but bought from Mile High, right?

Book is from 1956 and I don't believe Edgar Church pedigree books go to 1956.

Regarding the grade, you need a bigger scan, the back cover and to take it out of the mylar, if you want a fairly accurate assesment.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i must admit that i was influenced by the "Church" claim. and i missed those "eight?" spine nicks probably because of the miswrap. still even for an early 50's DC, that's gotta go an 8.0+..................

my rather rudely worded - apologies for any insult you may have taken from it flowerred.gif as my intention was merely one of humour - inclusion of your name in the post was due to the DC drop. something i know you have extensive and unfortunate experience with

sorry.gif

Not the Edgar Church pedigree but bought from Mile High, right?

Book is from 1956 and I don't believe Edgar Church pedigree books go to 1956.

Regarding the grade, you need a bigger scan, the back cover and to take it out of the mylar, if you want a fairly accurate assesment.

The book was sold to me as the Church copy; apparently Church bought books up to and including 1956--though not every title. I bought the book from Gary Carter who, in turn, purchased it from Chuck Rozansky. At the same time I bought the MH copy of Detective 167 which I had certified by CGC a few months ago and it came back with the MH designation on the cover. I believe the MIS is also the Mile High copy though I plan to send it to CGC for verification in the next couple of months.

I bought the book from Gary Carter who, in turn, purchased it from Chuck Rozansky.

Well, that would explain why it's not in the catalog. It seems very late for a Church book, but then I just noticed (Tales of the) Mysterious Traveler #1 on the page I posted, which is also from 1956. So...

Oops, nevermind that, the Mysterious Traveler is probably the Trans-World book from 1948. blush.gif

I'd still like to hear from one of our pedigree experts on this.

Pedigree - schmedigree sumo.gif

I think you're probably looking at a 7.5 with the tear and crease along the right edge, rounded corners, and overall wear . . . nevermind that we're only guessing at the BC which may reveal even more 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd still like to hear from one of our pedigree experts on this.

I'm definitely not the expert, but if you run a search of sales on Heritage Auctions and for Mile High and a year, the last year you see a Mile High book is 1954.

Plus, the later books (like in the 1950's) do not have arrival dates like the 1940's books have.

But hey, I could be wrong. blush.gif

I think there were a few straggler books that were later than '54, going all the way up to around '57 or so. But the later books are supposed to be lower grade(around Fine) than the main part of the collection.