• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Pages

15 posts in this topic

OK so you've bought a nice mega key that has the last page missing.  Assume its been cut out so the other side of the wrap - the opening splash - is still on the staples.

Do you:

1 - leave it and just ogle the book as is

2 - get a banger and insert the page loose inside the book

3 - get a banger and marry the whole wrap properly

I'm assuming the PQ and size would match up.  I'm sure there's no consensus on this.

I'm also wondering what this will do to grade/resale.  I've seen everything from 0.5 maximum grade and commensurate value on a married book to near guide depending on what the book is.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'd get an expert to marry the page.

That's interesting - I'd expected most people to say just leave it.

So - if marrying would you attach the new page to the other side which is still there on both staples - or replace the whole wrap..?

2 minutes ago, mike devon said:

That's interesting - I'd expected most people to say just leave it.

So - if marrying would you attach the new page to the other side which is still there on both staples - or replace the whole wrap..?

I don't collect incomplete books.

I would ask the expert to marry the single page.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

OK so that would mean gluing it on.  Glue the single page (half wrap) onto the other side of the wrap which is still there and on at both staples.

Edited by mike devon

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Interesting. I would think replacing the entire wrap would help the overall appearance of the book and be less intrusive than just attaching the new page to an existing one. In the end, they’re both considered restored with a married page but I think one is more obvious than the other and the wrap might even be overlooked if it lines up properly.

I don’t collect incomplete books either so this would be a way of educating myself a little on the subject

1 minute ago, B2D327 said:

Interesting. I would think replacing the entire wrap would help the overall appearance of the book and be less intrusive than just attaching the new page to an existing one. In the end, they’re both considered restored with a married page but I think one is more obvious than the other and the wrap might even be overlooked if it lines up properly.

I don’t collect incomplete books either so this would be a way of educating myself a little on the subject

Initially, mind train of thought went to, "don't wanna mess too much with an older book". I don't outright disagree with replacing the entire wrap.

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Initially, mind train of thought went to, "don't wanna mess too much with an older book". I don't outright disagree with replacing the entire wrap.

Gotcha. (thumbsu

That makes sense since getting too involved with an older book that could crumble to dust was something I hadn’t factored in to it.

option 4: purchase a different copy that is complete and sell the incomplete copy to recoup some of the cost. I wouldn't marry, insert or otherwise do anything for the incomplete copy. (unless we are talking very rare books but if the book is very rare good luck finding the parts you need.)

Edited by Artboy99

25 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

option 4: purchase a different copy that is complete and sell the incomplete copy to recoup some of the cost. I wouldn't marry, insert or otherwise do anything for the incomplete copy. (unless we are talking very rare books but if the book is very rare good luck finding the parts you need.)

Cheers.  I think ASM14 in 5.0 or 5.5 might be worth it.  Possibly marry it then sell the spare copy..?  I'll see how nice it look sin the hand when it arrives.

34 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers.  I think ASM14 in 5.0 or 5.5 might be worth it.  Possibly marry it then sell the spare copy..?  I'll see how nice it look sin the hand when it arrives.

just sell it as is and let the next owner fret over trying to marry missing pages. In my opinion the married page wont increase the value of the book in grade shown.

17 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

just sell it as is and let the next owner fret over trying to marry missing pages. In my opinion the married page wont increase the value of the book in grade shown.

Really..?  So don't do anything at all - just sell with missing page..?

On 2/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, Artboy99 said:

+1 

If your goal is to get a complete book, sell this, save some cash and buy the book you want.

If your goal is to have a pretty looking ASM14 that you otherwise couldn't afford, I would keep it and if you stumble across a missing page decide if it's worth it to you.