• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Online Site for Selling Comics
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Nearly 50 years later, I am unloading the books I collected as a kid in the 70s. Well preserved and most I suppose would grade in the 9s.

I've listed a good number on eBay but can't get bids even on ridiculously low starting bids except at $1. Then no more bids.

What sites would you suggest or have you had good experience with for selling?

Thanks

Kinda in the same boat, just take off about 10 years.  I'm only about 6% into moving my collection so far I've been able to move those on Ebay if I just keep re-listing the ones which don't initially sell.  if there's no external stimulation for a book (ie TV/Movie) and it's not any type of 'key' (which is the vast majority of mine), I just don't expect anything more than a buck or two.  I'd be curious to know if there's stats for sites like MyComicShop on how long a book sits before being sold

You can always try here too.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Here is good, or auction house(s). eBay can be :censored:.

He likely doesn't have the keys that an auction house would be looking for. 

Auctions on E-Bay are only great for hot key books except for the few sellers who have built up a big following and get action on most of their books.  As a new seller he would be wise to post books up as BINs and take offers if he wants to get more then $1 a piece.  but remember a $1 book now cost $6 with shipping and taxes added.  Consolidate run books when you can and patience is key.  MyComicShop is also a good tool for low price run books but don't expect more then a buck or two for most run books unless they are hot titles like Spiderman or Batman.

yeah I would give here a go specially if eBay is not working out. Also we might be able to give you a better idea of what to expect if we know what type of books your selling and pricing. Sometimes it takes time to sell filler or sometimes you might have to bulk them up and sell at a large discount if you want to move them fast. 

Ive see a few people bulk them up as they need the space and aren't into comics and bulk sell them for like 1-3 dollars a piece CDN lol..

As someone who just started to value and organize my collection (Some 70's but mostly 80's & 90's) I can provide noobie advice. You may think your book's will all grade in the 9's but be careful. I meticulously bagged and boarded my books as a kid and I'm sure many will still grade below 9. I seriously over estimated their overall value. The only thing that sells are keys like #1 copies and first appearences. Good luck! Hopefully you got the Frank Miller run of Daredevil at the end of the 70's, a classic run that is under valued.

If selling on ebay I find selling books as Buy it Now with an offer. Be honest on non graded books and add a lot of photos. Than let the book sit, don't look for the quick sale. Be kind on silly offers even though you want to be snarky. I prefer to sell CGC graded books because I don't have to take returns on third party graded books. And don't be greedy, all books are not high value. If you want to sell think about the client, they have to cover sales tax on top of your cost. Remember to cover ebay fees and PayPal fees. Just some of my thoughts.

5 hours ago, csaag said:

Kinda in the same boat, just take off about 10 years.  I'm only about 6% into moving my collection so far I've been able to move those on Ebay if I just keep re-listing the ones which don't initially sell.  if there's no external stimulation for a book (ie TV/Movie) and it's not any type of 'key' (which is the vast majority of mine), I just don't expect anything more than a buck or two.  I'd be curious to know if there's stats for sites like MyComicShop on how long a book sits before being sold

You can always try here too.

Defeatism!

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

He likely doesn't have the keys that an auction house would be looking for. 

Auctions on E-Bay are only great for hot key books except for the few sellers who have built up a big following and get action on most of their books.  As a new seller he would be wise to post books up as BINs and take offers if he wants to get more then $1 a piece.  but remember a $1 book now cost $6 with shipping and taxes added.  Consolidate run books when you can and patience is key.  MyComicShop is also a good tool for low price run books but don't expect more then a buck or two for most run books unless they are hot titles like Spiderman or Batman.

More defeatism! 

4 hours ago, Silentbob said:

As someone who just started to value and organize my collection (Some 70's but mostly 80's & 90's) I can provide noobie advice. You may think your book's will all grade in the 9's but be careful. I meticulously bagged and boarded my books as a kid and I'm sure many will still grade below 9. I seriously over estimated their overall value. The only thing that sells are keys like #1 copies and first appearences. Good luck! Hopefully you got the Frank Miller run of Daredevil at the end of the 70's, a classic run that is under valued.

Still more defeatism!

48 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I sell roughly 4,000 comic books per year on eBay with about a 95% sell through rate. PM me and I'll fill you in on some secrets. Let me see your eBay handle and I'll take a look. 

BTW if anyone else wants some free consulting work on their eBay sales I'll do it today because I'm feeling extra special helpful.

PM sent - I'd love some free advice from the master.

Edited by 1Cool

I would try the forums here for some stuff.

Thing is, if you have comics with a value of $4-6 an issue, people don't pay that online. Mainly because shipping and what not puts the cost they are spending up around that anyway, so they will expect to get books like that for $1 at best.

You could also be overpricing stuff. Just because a site or book says it is worth $20 means nothing. If a book you have sells on ebay for $2-3 consistently, it is worth $2-3. And if a book you have sells for $2-3 only 5 times in six months, it means good luck because not too many people need or are hunting for it. I usually sell stuff like that for 50 to a buck at small cons

A final option is craigslist, Kijiji or whatever applies to your region. Classified ads even online for your city/towns website. Facebook too. I move $1-2 books easily and often for anyone looking for stuff. They just wants comics to read or give to kids or to start back into the hobby, I move books, everyone is happy.