• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Online Site for Selling Comics
1 1

43 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

PM sent - I'd love some free advice from the master.

You called? Okey-dokey!

1) Don't overpay for your inventory.

2) Grade your inventory correctly.

3) Price it accordingly and realistically.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

I would try the forums here for some stuff.

Thing is, if you have comics with a value of $4-6 an issue, people don't pay that online. Mainly because shipping and what not puts the cost they are spending up around that anyway, so they will expect to get books like that for $1 at best.

You could also be overpricing stuff. Just because a site or book says it is worth $20 means nothing. If a book you have sells on ebay for $2-3 consistently, it is worth $2-3. And if a book you have sells for $2-3 only 5 times in six months, it means good luck because not too many people need or are hunting for it. I usually sell stuff like that for 50 to a buck at small cons

A final option is craigslist, Kijiji or whatever applies to your region. Classified ads even online for your city/towns website. Facebook too. I move $1-2 books easily and often for anyone looking for stuff. They just wants comics to read or give to kids or to start back into the hobby, I move books, everyone is happy. 

Not true. Defeatism!

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

You called? Okey-dokey!

Well, yeah. There's more, but that's basically it. Thanks . I was looking forward to an afternoon of wisdom imparting. Now you've gone and ruined my fun. Hmph.

@FlyingDonut seems to be listing stuff the right way. Nice conditioned books, affordable start price. If you get $5-6 bucks, good and if they climb to $10-15 hey that is great.

I scroll through ebay often and the number of people selling $2-5 comics for double or more confuses me. I mean, if you want it to sit on ebay forever and have them also sit in whatever pile or longbox or wherever forever, then you do you!

6 hours ago, OriginalOwnerComics said:

Nearly 50 years later, I am unloading the books I collected as a kid in the 70s. Well preserved and most I suppose would grade in the 9s.

I've listed a good number on eBay but can't get bids even on ridiculously low starting bids except at $1. Then no more bids.

What sites would you suggest or have you had good experience with for selling?

Thanks

Well damn! 70s or earlier books in the 9s?? shoot me a pm immediately!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by Aweandlorder

9 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

You called? Okey-dokey!

The hard part is price accordingly, not to low not to high. I often fear I overprice but you don't know until a book sits. Plus often I found a book will sell at the listed price after it has sat. Hard to know.

18 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

You called? Okey-dokey!

I've got the "buying nice easy to sell books for dirt cheap" sign up for ages and nobody ever calls :( 

22 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Well, yeah. There's more, but that's basically it. Thanks . I was looking forward to an afternoon of wisdom imparting. Now you've gone and ruined my fun. Hmph.

Be like Dan.  Always willing to sell to anyone.  Never wants to run a museum.  Always one of my favourites at the Baltimore Comic Con. :takeit:

4 minutes ago, greggy said:

Be like Dan.  Always willing to sell to anyone.  Never wants to run a museum.  Always one of my favourites at the Baltimore Comic Con. :takeit:

One of my favorite lines I've heard him say is "don't be embarrassed about making a profit", between that and thinking about the long run as opposed to short term sales changed my entire business model 2c

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I sell roughly 4,000 comic books per year on eBay with about a 95% sell through rate. PM me and I'll fill you in on some secrets. Let me see your eBay handle and I'll take a look. 

BTW if anyone else wants some free consulting work on their eBay sales I'll do it today because I'm feeling extra special helpful.

I might take you up on that offer Ron.

5 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

10. ALWAYS use flat rate shipping. ALWAYS. It will keep your costs down - all USPS flat rate materials are fee - and increase your throughput rate as it is much easier to use. Flat rate shipping is getting expensive, but DO NOT offer your buyers ANY OTHER METHOD of shipping or they will 100% abuse it.

I love the idea of flat rate because it does simplify things but how can you compete with sellers offering cheaper shipping, either First Class or (even though comics aren't applicable) Media Mail?

2 hours ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I love the idea of flat rate because it does simplify things but how can you compete with sellers offering cheaper shipping, either First Class or (even though comics aren't applicable) Media Mail?

Be faster. Allow them to combine books.

4 hours ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

They probably don't compete with them.  If you are selling thousands of books you don't really have time to be considerate about shipping expenses to the customer.  That's where I come in with my $4 first class shipping, anything under a pound can go first class.  Anything over a pound is priority but I've been getting out some CGC slabs as low as $8-9 using paypal postage printing and non-flat rate priority mail boxes that are also free, you just need to request them on the USPS website.  "Priority Mail Box - 1095", "Priority Mail Box - 1092". Most flat rate medium priority boxes are going to run you $16 and I've stopped buying from sellers who do that for any item under $100.
I give free shipping to everyone in the USA which is more than enough to excite the bidders and I cut the expenses down on the postage.  Obviously don't do this with dollar books, you'll lose money.  It works with most $30+ items though.  If you are selling $1 books I guess the advice would be to group them in lots of 20-30 books and start the bids at $20-30.

Edited by 90sChild

12 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I sell roughly 4,000 comic books per year on eBay with about a 95% sell through rate. PM me and I'll fill you in on some secrets. Let me see your eBay handle and I'll take a look. 

BTW if anyone else wants some free consulting work on their eBay sales I'll do it today because I'm feeling extra special helpful.

You are a giver.😊

13 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Where do you get your packaging materials?

I use as much free stuff from the USPS as I can get away with. I order my cardboard from Papermart in Los Angeles. Incredible deal - ends up being about 25 cents each with shipping.

Long-time lurker who has learned a lot from these boards the past two years, finally moved to register and join. I want to thank Flying Donut and every other seller who chimed in on this thread. I've got a decent Silver/Bronze Age collection that I may have to unload extremely cheaply in the next few months to help pay a vet bill and this was all really informative so wanted you to know it was appreciated!