• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kav said:

I find his use of commas between synonyms annoying.  "This table is big, large, giant, huge-"
WTH

me too , i love Ditko but those pages are just filled rambling words that are becoming boring... i can't believe there are 100 pages worth

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

me too , i love Ditko but those pages are just filled rambling words that are becoming boring... i can't believe there are 100 pages worth

It doesnt matter who comes up with an idea-its who makes it good that counts.  If I come up with gorilla man, that means zip.  If stan lee writes gorilla man well, and it becomes a hit, that does not make originator of the idea for a gorilla man some superstar.
Ideas are a dime a dozen.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

:facepalm:

I remember wanting a Gil Kane Sig series when I first joined...

We all have our learning curves, sometimes we have to line up again to give it a straighter shot....

source-1.gif

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

LOL. I just read the beginning of this and... man how ironic. 

"It is a crucial fundamental issue between the real world of facts and a mind, the type of mind that has no respect for the real world, a mind that is anti-mind (anti-reason).

This is why Ditko's essays fascinate me - he's not looking for money - he's not even looking for credit - he couldn't care LESS about how he's perceived by me or you or anyone. His issue is the TRUTH. What is real. What is actually being said vs what actually happened. 

Ditko had it figured out. It's like he's describing large swaths of people here, because, of course, he is: human nature is universal.

Early in the thread, John Romita recalls conversations he overheard while Stan drove he and Jack Kirby home. At the time, Marvel was located in Manhattan and Stan lived in SW Nassau County, in a fairly isolated community.  It's a 20 minute train ride or half hour drive to  the office. Jack lived in Mineola/ Williston Park and Romita lived in Floral Park, about five miles west of Jack. Driving the two of them home and then heading back home would easily take him an hour out of the way. I've had good bosses and bad ones but never had one that would go an hour-hour and a half out of his way to drive an employee home.

Edited by shadroch

Compare and contrast the names of The Inhumans to the names of Darkseids crew. Obvious that the same guy came up with both, right?

I don't know enough of Ditko's non Marvel work to really say much. I don't like his style and outside of Creeper and an odd issue of Rom I have not read a non-Spidey Ditko work in years. I do recall liking the book he did for Seaboard.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Compare and contrast the names of The Inhumans to the names of Darkseids crew. Obvious that the same guy came up with both, right?

Or one guy copied the other.

37 minutes ago, 500Club said:
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

someone by the name of Joe Krolik

Whoever this mysterious person may be, I'm sure he's beloved by all in the comic collecting hobby.

:applause:

He’s certainly never been immortalized as a thief in an issue of Spectacular Spider-Man... :whistle:

A lying thief! (thumbsu

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have it on good authority that the "L" word has now been deemed "offensive" and an "insult"...usually by the people caught doing it.

I'm just talking about a minor character from Spectacular Spider-Man 112. (shrug):wink: