• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

I've just read the Comic Book History of Comics by Fred van Lente.

He explains the Marvel Method, where Lee gave a very vague plot outline, the artists then added their vision, and Lee finally added dialogue at the end of the process.

The artists enjoyed the Method's creative freedom at first, until Lee persistently denied them due credit for their input, and their resentment and frustration snowballed to breaking point.

That's the gist of it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've just read the Comic Book History of Comics by Fred van Lente.

He explains the Marvel Method, where Lee gave a very vague plot outline, the artists then added their vision, and Lee finally added dialogue at the end of the process.

The artists enjoyed the Method's creative freedom at first, until Lee persistently denied them due credit for their input, and their resentment and frustration snowballed to breaking point.

That's the gist of it.

That is probably the most succinct summary of it I’ve ever read!

Edited by Chuck Gower

"One who is no threat, danger-" "No moral effect, meaning-" "Choose not to see, understand-" "I'l take, steal-"
Hey at least Stan lee didnt write, -script, compose, create, draft, in such an awkward, redundant, goofy, fashion-

I’ve long ago learned to give Ditko and Kirby enormous respect for their contributions to early Marvel characters and stories.  It makes me somewhat sad to think there’s a good chance Steve and Jack never understood that veteran comic book fans know that they were co-creators of these wonderful characters.