• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I keep losing concentration while trying to read an interminable wall of text, which just goes on and on.

The walls of text go on, continue, proceed, advance, extend, progress-

3 minutes ago, mrc said:

.........agreed, I've never read anything so depressing. That was one massive axe he had to grind!....:facepalm:

So don't read it. No one's making you. Why would you spend your time doing something you don't want to do when you don't have to?

I mean, I get why these usual trolls come in here... but why would someone read something they don't have to - don't want to - and don't enjoy?

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i keep trying to read each Ditko page and mostly lose interest 1/3 of the way through....

wow you made it that far? mail.gif

13 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

So don't read it. No one's making you. Why would you spend your time doing something you don't want to do when you don't have to?

I mean, I get why these usual trolls come in here... but why would someone read something they don't have to - don't want to - and don't enjoy?

7e4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Despite being attention deficient, I like a challenge.  Ditko's copious writing style won't defeat me.

I've read plenty of walls of text I found annoying.  It happens.

As a writer, Ditko would have benefited from watching "Conjunction, Conjunction ..."

He also would have benefitted from studying Ayn Rand a little bit more.  Her philosophy is not one prone to encouraging truth telling.  Rand thought the purpose of one's life should be the pursuit of one's own happiness and that it was immoral to act against one's self-interest.  But isn't this a philosophy which condones liars for lying to promote themselves?  Not a good philosophy for a witness to have or the right soapbox to stand on for criticising folks for lying.

He always said he doesnt sign stuff because if he signs for one person he has to sign for everyone.  Not sure where that rule is written down.  I know women if they go out on a date with someone they dont have to go out with everyone.  You can choose n stuff.

Fascinating thread, even though the subject has been broached before.   You know, with all great collaborative mediums (art, music, inventions), it's obvious once success and money takes over, the history gets muddled.  The infighting, the legalities, the 'who did and didn't get screwed', come to light, get debated, and usually never get resolved.  

Someone brought up Brian Wilson and Mike Love of the Beach Boys.  Which I think is a great analogy to Lee and Ditko.  They both kind of needed each other to complete the product.   

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Ditko, to me, is one of the more fascinating people to come through the industry.  Some of these essays are a grind, but it’s interesting to get a feel for his perspective. 2c

I think Ditko started to paint himself into a philosophical corner so I think he went as far as he could go working with Stan or anyone for that matter, no proof there, just my opinion of course (given that possibility, it was a good time to pass off the strip). Personally for me, I would give a larger credit to Steve than I would to Stan, just as I would give a greater credit to John Romita for the titles continued and increasing success after Steves departure. But I'm more appreciative of the graphic nature of the medium so I don't mean it as an insult to Stan. 2c

Edited by Mr Sneeze