• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I thought it was a thread about Ditko and how he saw his time at Marvel and how he was treated and not necessarily what he wanted.

I think the Kirby stuff has been brought in to discussion of the ongoing rights/credits/financial but unless I missed it Ditko never wanted any of that, he just wanted to set the record straight on what the issue he had was aka his side of the story

Does anyone have a recent issue of Spider-Man? Does it give him co-creator credit? I think starting with Far From Home the movie gives him credit. He's right; he deserved credit.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

giphy.gif I didn't understand how were not here to get 2 sides to the story, I can just read Ditko's though (thumbsu I'm out!

bye-felicia.jpg

I mean really I haven't posted since page 2, kept waiting until now page 14 for a hint at an answer to my question, guess I didn't need to be too needy and reply at all :foryou: 

RemorsefulSinfulGoral-size_restricted.gi

1 minute ago, bb8 said:

Does anyone have a recent issue of Spider-Man? Does it give him co-creator credit? I think starting with Far From Home the movie gives him credit. He's right; he deserved credit.

If you READ it... his point wasn’t even in concern for that. He could care less how he was viewed or remembered. 

He could’ve made a great deal of money off of his history - he didn’t. He didn’t care about the money.  

He took issue with Stan distorting what he felt like was the truth. So he put that into an essay. 

The Stan Brigade here seems to overlook that and want to bring up Kirby endlessly as way to say “Look at the greed!”  

But Ditko wanted no money from it, no fame, wasn’t interested in the movies... he was just interested in the truth as he saw it. 

6 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I agree.    Doesn't change what he did or didn't own rights to, but he certainly deserves acknowledgement (not that he doesn't have extremely wide informal acknowledgement already).

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

If you READ it... his point wasn’t even in concern for that. He could care less how he was viewed or remembered. 

He could’ve made a great deal of money off of his history - he didn’t. He didn’t care about the money.  

He took issue with Stan distorting what he felt like was the truth. So he put that into an essay. 

The Stan Brigade here seems to overlook that and want to bring up Kirby endlessly as way to say “Look at the greed!”  

But Ditko wanted no money from it, no fame, wasn’t interested in the movies... he was just interested in the truth as he saw it. 

'As he saw it' being the key qualifier there.

I don't know how anyone can call what he wrote any sort of serious search for the truth.    What little I read was a hate blast.   The trouble with 30 pages of hate is that you lose all credibility via assumed bias.

6 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

The essay's by Ditko I'd really like to read are the one's that appeared in Robin Synder's 'The Comics' where he addresses specifically the origin and first couple of issues of the ASM, each getting their own essay.

Years ago I picked up a copy of one of these somewhere (and I'm pretty sure I posted them here) but in case you didn't see it, here it is....

DitkoEssay01a.jpeg

Thanks for posting this article, Chuck.  Ditko's criticism of Kirby for taking credit for Spider-man is interesting (and better written).

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The only question I see is if you're Lee or Ditko...?

and it was to the person I quoted too (shrug) guess I could have pm'd him....

Just trying to break the tension as others are too :foryou: Felicia out 

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

The Stan Lee Outrage brigade comes out in full force at the mere mention of either Jack or Steve. 

Dirko was entitled to his opinion, I was curious to read it - thought others would be too (they are). And now all this...

And the opinions you've posted by Ditko repeatedly include his opinion about Jack taking credit for creating Spider-man, not just his opinion's about Stan taking credit.  That's why Jack comes up.

31 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the Kirby stuff has been brought in to discussion of the ongoing rights/credits/financial but unless I missed it Ditko never wanted any of that, he just wanted to set the record straight on what the issue he had was aka his side of the story

Part of Ditko setting the record straight was lambasting Jack for taking credit for creating Spider-man.  That is discussed in Ditko's articles posted throughout this thread.  I also thought that was an ironic juxaposition with Chuck's thread over on the SA boards that also re-published attacks on Stan:

Edited by sfcityduck