• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

I'd walk a thousand miles, to see that.

Here it is in video form giphy.gif

Which really is a shame, I WAS interested, seemingly it's not a discussion though, and even this post in reflection will seem like I'm shouting at a cloud as well :(

Shame, really hard not to take personally, but at least there is an outlet :foryou: sometimes we all need one I guess ....

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It is possible to appreciate both Lee and Ditko, accept both people's excellence, and reject both of their flaws.

It doesn't have to be a him vs him situation.

..........agreed, unless you're Ditko.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

What do you call a discussion where someone wants people to listen to them but they block all incoming transmissions?  Radio set to send only.  I can see why the idolization of Ditko here.

It is called politics.

34 minutes ago, kav said:

Can someone explain to me what the point is of saying over and over how you have everyone on ignore?  What does it do, accomplish, achieve, attain-

It tells me how open he is to opposing positions.

The mind is like a parachute. Dead weight if you choose not to open it.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Comic wiz posts a letter from Marvel stating they don't sell artwork but will make an exception in this one case for a museum and that is proof of Marvel engaging in a conspiracy, and of course it is all Stans fault.

Should Marvel have done a better job of storing the art? Absolutely, but it wasn't some conspiracy against the artists. Where is all the DC art from that era? How about the Disney art?

I personally think the art should be returned to the artist, and recommended the Kirby family to retain lawyers to pursue the art that was stolen, but it wasn't Stan who did any of that.

Where did you get conspiracy from? What I posted has either been written about or reported on by people who were there when this was going on. From TCJ 105 (Feb 1986)

image.png.e036e930d503f8513967d162892d6bd7.png

Here is probably the biggest reason why Jim Steranko has publicly claimed Stan "diminished no one's contributions", and that he should know because "he was only there."  The "Thomas" mentioned in the article is Roy Thomas. Same issue as the clipping above.

image.png.3346cf2faecbff15cc87c47ca832e05f.png

Edited by comicwiz

Shooter was EIC when Marvel was owned by Cadence. Do you seriously think it was up to him to call the police? Maybe a large corporation didn't want to get dragged into a lawsuit over things best left quiet.

Exactly who owned the art was nebulous at the time. The comic companies originally claimed ownership but backtracked when it was pointed out they never paid sales tax on their "purchases", or at least that was Tom DeFalco's view. He got caught up in this when he replaced Shooter. I know he regretted not being able to include Jack in the 25th Anniversary but it wasn't his call.

It sucks Kirby didn't get his art back, but corporations tend to do what is legal, not what is moral.                  I have a mural painted on the side of my building. It was there when I bought the building. Do I have any obligation to the artist who painted it and was paid for it by the previous owner. Suppose Disney buys the building . Do they owe the artist?

13 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Here is probably the biggest reason why Jim Steranko has publicly claimed Stan "diminished no one's contributions", and that he should know because "he was only there."  The "Thomas" mentioned in the article is Roy Thomas. Same issue as the clipping above.

image.png.3346cf2faecbff15cc87c47ca832e05f.png

To me, that just shows how poor a negotiator Kirby was. A newcomer somehow makes a deal for his art to be returned while Kirby doesn't. Gray Morrow evidently also struck a deal. How was it that a journeyman and a rookie were able to get their art back?  Because they put it into their work contracts, perhaps?

19 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Do you seriously think it was up to him to call the police?

You better believe Archie Goodwin wasn't bluffing when he told Gil Kane to return all the art he stole. And  if you don't know that story, you should do some reading before you assume it wasn't an EIC's job to prevent art from being taken from Marvel.

He didn't have to do any of what he did, but if it wasn't for Goodwin, none of the art would have been left for Vartanoff to index or catalogue.

Edited by comicwiz

13 minutes ago, shadroch said:

To me, that just shows how poor a negotiator Kirby was. A newcomer somehow makes a deal for his art to be returned while Kirby doesn't. Gray Morrow evidently also struck a deal. How was it that a journeyman and a rookie were able to get their art back?  Because they put it into their work contracts, perhaps?

By your reasoning, Sinnott must have been a bad negotiator too. :facepalm:

This thread needs a pole. 

1. Lee was the best

2. Ditko was the best

3. Kirby was the best

4. Crack is the best

5. Best Buy is open 10 am to 9 pm

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm not sure why Chuck's posts are considered "axe to grind" when all he is doing is posting Steve Ditko's words. He hasn't stated his opinion on it (unless I missed it) or Stan Lee or Marvel other than he finds it interesting. The perception is that he has some outrage because he is posting this content but all it's doing is causing some people's view of The House of Ideas and Stan Lee to be brought under a different light. They seem to be the ones outraged that their idol(s) are being tarnished. 

Usually, it is said that someone has an 'axe to grind' when the same point or argument is brought up repeatedly.

The thread starts with some interesting essays by Ditko, ostensibly just for interest's sake, but by the bottom of page 3 and onto page 4, Chuck is clearly driving the narrative by posting quotes from other creators.  Interspersed with that are comments that can't be construed as anything BUT his opinion:

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 6:03 AM, Chuck Gower said:

No one seems to understand why Stan Lee - this 'vast creative mind of ideas' - went to Hollywood in the 70's and had such a hard time getting anything done. It's because a) he couldn't actually write anything more than a synopsis (which, unless you're a proven commodity, isn't going to get you far in Hollywood) and b) couldn't find anyone as talented as Kirby or Ditko to transform his basic ideas into a full fledged working story.

Between that, the 'This Man, This Monster' thread, and Casey overhearing Chuck having this very discussion in person, you can see where the 'axe to grind' sentiment comes from.

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

This thread needs a pole. 

1. Lee was the best

2. Ditko was the best

3. Kirby was the best

4. Crack is the best

5. Best Buy is open 10 am to 9 pm

(In my best Inigo Montoya voice)

I do not think pole means what you think it means.