• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

I saw he quoted me but then the post was removed. What did he say? Was he hitting on me again. Perv.

Nothing out of the ordinary so I'm not sure why it got removed. 

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
38 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:
2 hours ago, Senormac said:

This thread needs a pole. 

1. Lee was the best

2. Ditko was the best

3. Kirby was the best

4. Crack is the best

5. Best Buy is open 10 am to 9 pm

(In my best Inigo Montoya voice)

I do not think pole means what you think it means.

I think there are too many... um, poles in this thread already.

lol   I didn't have anything else to offer.  

I wonder what ol Don Heck thought of Stan Lee hm

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

you definition of ordinary isn't the same as mine. You're Canadian. You eat gravy with fries and think mooses are cool

:gossip: meeces. One moose, two meeces

6 minutes ago, greggy said:

A few times.  The last time, Roy's comments were missing after the lock.  Not sure for what reason though. 

xoxo

I have no idea why my comments were removed either.

Probably because they were trimmed with Kav's comments, although I didn't post anything offensive or incorrect.

Maybe the mods just love me a little extra.

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's important to note that the issue isn't that Ditko is suggesting that Stan deserves no credit. It's that Ditko is saying that Stan stole credit to which he was not due, because Stan's #1 goal in life was the promotion of Stan. And any objective analysis would admit that. Stan was a glory hog, no two ways about it. Jack and Steve were not. 

Ditko is, of course, correct that he and Stan both deserve some credit.  How you split it is debating the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin. 

And I'd admit that Stan was self-glorifying, indeed that was the persona that helped make Marvel special.  But, he also over glorified his colleagues (e.g. Jake "King" Kirby) in his quest to portray Marvel as the greatest comic publisher in the world.  As to whether Jack and Steve were also prone to self-promote at the expense of others - Steve was not.  It was not in his genes.  And if he'd never have met Stan, his reputation would be much much much poorer, because he too benefited from Stan's hype. 

In contrast, for whatever reasons, Jack WAS known to overclaim credit at the expense of others - the example of Ditko's Spider-man being an obvious exhibit.  

As I have repeatedly said, this is not the black or white situation that Ditko paints it to be.  We are dealing with sinners, not saints, men with faulty memories, agendas, and, yes, axes to grind.  And that includes Ditko, as his own writings with their over the top critique of Stan readily demonstrate.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:18 AM, Chuck Gower said:

Ditko001b.jpeg

This is the Ditko rhetoric that causes me to cringe in embarrassment for his memory.  

He's pissed that Stan wrote in a letter to a FAN MAGAZINE that Dr. Strange "Twas Steve's idea" instead of "It was Steve's idea"!?!  

What the ....?  

Did he never read Stan's public prose?  "Twas," "lo and behold," and "sayeth" are Stan's style, not an attempt to mock Ditko.  It's a crazy analysis.

But, Ditko reveals why he thinks that way when he states:  "Why not the clear, honest, objective:"  The key is Steve's italicized "objective."  This comment betrays that Steve's immersion in objectivism had tainted his perceptions.  He saw insults and ridicule where no one else would.   

34 minutes ago, Jëffrö... said:
37 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Moose - one of the most dangerous animals on the planet

No, really.

A Møøse once bit my sister...

lol

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

Don Heck: "At Marvel I used to draw characters with their mouths closed. That was the way it was always done in comics. Stan used to complain, "Hey, this guy is talking, and you've got his mouth closed." That was Stan, he probably couldn't find anything bigger to complain about. I mean an editor has to do something. Stan wasn't really a perfectionist, but there was this, 'There's got to be some reason for me being here!' "