• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko actually wrote about Spider-man... A LOT
5 5

583 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mrc said:
5 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

It was amazingly successful thanks to Stan. But it never would have happened without Kirby and Ditko.

........without Kirby, definitely. Without Ditko, maybe.

I think it's a safe bet that Spidey wouldn't have been as successful without Ditko.

Kirby could NEVER get Spider-man right, no matter how hard he tried.

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

When I first heard about it I thought people were exaggerating about them lifting the music but they lifted a LOT of music from their predecessors.

In this day and age, that wouldn't have flown.

Sure about that? Because IDC what the guys in Cold Play say, they sure ripped off Joe Satriani for their "Viva La Vida" song. Look it up.

-slym

7 minutes ago, slym2none said:
22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

When I first heard about it I thought people were exaggerating about them lifting the music but they lifted a LOT of music from their predecessors.

Sure about that? Because IDC what the guys in Cold Play say, they sure ripped off Joe Satriani for their "Viva La Vida" song. Look it up.

Ripping other people's music (or whatever) always happens.

What I meant by 'it wouldn't have flown' was that they wouldn't have gotten away with it legally in this day and age like they did back then.

Just now, VintageComics said:

Ripping other people's music (or whatever) always happens.

What I meant by 'it wouldn't have flown' was that they wouldn't have gotten away with it legally in this day and age like they did back then.

Cold Play got away with it.

(shrug)

-slym

6 minutes ago, slym2none said:

Cold Play got away with it.

How so? I thought there was a settlement against Cold Play?

https://ew.com/article/2009/09/16/coldplay-satriani-lawsuit/

In any case, Zeps lifts were MUCH larger than just a small melody here and there. They outright copied many songs from their blues predecessors without giving credit.

47 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Zep is one of my favorite bands but they didn't credit all the old blues artists they stole their music from.  lol

A musician once pointed out that while Zep certainly lifted music from old  black blues players, that the music had been stolen from them years ago and the rights were in the hands of children of the men who had stolen it.

57 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Zep is one of my favorite bands but they didn't credit all the old blues artists they stole their music from. 

or even Richie Valens

Edited by Bird
ooh my head...rock on!

8 minutes ago, shadroch said:

A musician once pointed out that while Zep certainly lifted music from old  black blues players, that the music had been stolen from them years ago and the rights were in the hands of children of the men who had stolen it.

I don't understand the latter part of what you're saying, sorry.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Zep is one of my favorite bands but they didn't credit all the old blues artists they stole their music from.  lol

They've since been sued, I know Stairway is still being litigated, and artists who weren't credited previously, like Jake (Dazed And Confused) Holmes, have had acknowledgement made of their contributions.  It seems like many people who have been to the mountain top (hop :wink:) tend to leave a trail of bodies behind them. 

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I don't understand the latter part of what you're saying, sorry.

Most blues artists sold their rights away when they were recorded. Many would almost be considered work for hire.  Leadbelly would write, sing and record a song and get paid $25 a song, with the producers now owning all rights.

19 hours ago, Aman619 said:

There’s an underlying reality we have ignored in these Stan vs Jack and Stan vs Steve arguments.  It’s the 800 pound gorilla in the room but we look right through it due to our fantasy that the Marvel comics we loved were lovingly created as collaborations.  They were not.  They were assignments from the editor to freelancers.  Only Stan was the “Company” in all these dealings.  As fans and outsiders we make the mistake of forgetting this overarching fact.

Stan assigned each comic, selected the artists, told them what he wanted

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

How so? I thought there was a settlement against Cold Play?

https://ew.com/article/2009/09/16/coldplay-satriani-lawsuit/

Nothing ever came from it. No money was exchanged and no wrongdoing was ever to be claimed by Cold Play.

And I just gave an example that contradicts your statement. I edited the last line above out because it is totally irrelevant to the point we were discussing.

-slym

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:
13 hours ago, mrc said:
14 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

It was amazingly successful thanks to Stan. But it never would have happened without Kirby and Ditko.

........without Kirby, definitely. Without Ditko, maybe.

I think it's a safe bet that Spidey wouldn't have been as successful without Ditko.

Kirby could NEVER get Spider-man right, no matter how hard he tried.

There was always Don Heck hm