• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld just posted on Twitter that he won't sign any comics that carry the new Deadpool Label
1 1

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

When I was a kid I got my comics at 7-11 and opened them up and read them 

Wait a sec...I can read these comics too? I don't see how that's possible. They are stuck in these plastic cases and won't come out. Spider-Man showed up at my 7-11 once and gave me an autographed #162. CGC probably wouldn't authenticate it, but I know it was him. 

1. My opinion of Liefeld's twitter post = :eyeroll: (not that it matters)

20 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Wait a sec...I can read these comics too? I don't see how that's possible. They are stuck in these plastic cases and won't come out. Spider-Man showed up at my 7-11 once and gave me an autographed #162. CGC probably wouldn't authenticate it, but I know it was him. 

2. That's awesome and it should be graded and noted "signed by Spider-Man" if it were to be slabbed ;)

3. I remember my first comic signed at Menlo Park Mall (I'm a Jersey kid) and it was by Jim Calafiore back in '98. CGC wasn't around yet but I still have the book as a keepsake. 

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My distaste for Liefeld continues to grow...

Not sure that is at all possible, is it?

He's fine.  He deserves some credit for being the partial creator of some cool characters that were very much a part of growing up for many like Cable, Deadpool, and Domino (though most would argue they took FLIGHT from other creators, but still), and also deserves a lot of flak for some truly terrible art (though I actually like his Deadpool and Domino, usually).  I think he enjoys the spotlight of Deadpool's popularity (and certainly the MONEY), but he's just a dude cashing in on his opportunities, seemingly not in a malicious or dishonest way.  I don't think he's really made a ton of money on anything other than Deadpool in a long time. And he, more than most creators, actually has a major market for his signature with regards to CGC SS (though maybe not quite as much as he thinks, but more than most), so I'm not sure I'd act too differently from him in his position.

What I'm saying is, there should still be SOME room for the distaste to grow.

53 minutes ago, manetteska said:
21 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I highly recommend the Image documentary available on Prime. 

Ooh, that sounds good; always looking for an interesting doc. Is it put together well?

It's professionally done, and goes by at a nice pace. There's not a whole lot of info presented that someone who's been following the industry for the past few decades wouldn't already know but it's still interesting. My one resonating takeaway was the startling amount of money those guys were making in the early 90s.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, dupont2005 said:

When I was a kid I got my comics at 7-11 and opened them up and read them 

I will do you one better...I took a job at the local 7-11 in order to get access to the comics and comics ordering. It worked but the 6 months or so I had the job until my friend got fired and I was asked to cover the shift...see ya'! And see ya" to those comics (and Heavy Metal and Cracked) !

20 hours ago, Bird said:

I will do you one better...I took a job at the local 7-11 in order to get access to the comics and comics ordering. It worked but the 6 months or so I had the job until my friend got fired and I was asked to cover the shift...see ya'! And see ya" to those comics (and Heavy Metal and Cracked) !

I got banned from the local 7-11 for frequently reading all the comics and car magazines without buying anything 😂

My friends & I bought enough Coca-Cola Slurpees, terrible microwave pizzas, and pumped enough quarters into the pinball machine & video game (they had a Magic 8-Ball machine and one slowly-rotating cast of video games, Galaga at first IIRC and ending with a wrestling game) that the store employees couldn't keep us from reading stuff. I am sure we put many a greasy fingerprint on some comics!

-slym

Edited by slym2none