• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this CBCS hold it's grade in CGC? FF 50
1 1

22 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Nice book! If you post large front and back scans, we could throw out a guess. No way to even guess from this pic though.

This. Too small to see fine details and back cover images are just as critical as the front cover images for making assessments, especially on 8.0 territory and better.

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This. Too small to see fine details and back cover images are just as critical as the front cover images for making assessments, especially on 8.0 territory and better.

Yeah, I understand... I don't own the book but was considering buying and sending to CGC.  Below is the link and likely better quality images.  

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/799322

Thanks for the help

Bobby

2 hours ago, Bobby Watts said:

Yeah, I understand... I don't own the book but was considering buying and sending to CGC.  Below is the link and likely better quality images.  

Thanks for the help

Bobby

Looks like a soft 9.4 to me.  It reminds me that I once owned an FF50 in cgc 9.4 grade, and after selling it noticed it showed up in a cbcs 9.6 holder.

35 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

If you have 4K to drop on this I would just wait until a CGC copy pops up at auction and bid on it. I suspect it is over priced for the grade if its on CC’s site. 

That's good thinking. I don't know this market but I doubt it's priced well enough to take the risk. The book looks good even with the big front/back photos, but the corners are soft and bottom staple area has a bit of wear. No way to say definitely it won't come back as a CGC 9.0 or 9.2.

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

If you have 4K to drop on this I would just wait until a CGC copy pops up at auction and bid on it. I suspect it is over priced for the grade if its on CC’s site. 

Yeah, that is likely the best advice... I think it will take $5k to get this particular one... And I am not sure if it is worth it... And if it comes back at a 9.2 then I would be way upside down.

Thanks!!

22 minutes ago, Point Five said:

That's good thinking. I don't know this market but I doubt it's priced well enough to take the risk. The book looks good even with the big front/back photos, but the corners are soft and bottom staple area has a bit of wear. No way to say definitely it won't come back as a CGC 9.0 or 9.2.

Yeah... Definitely not worth the $5k it would take to get it

8 hours ago, Bobby Watts said:

Thanks for the help

Bobby

There's a zoom feature, but I can't get it to function. On another PC, the image looks to be of very low resolution, so I can't see the fine details. Based on the very little that I can definitely see, I agree with the comment made here about it appearing soft for a 9.4. Without some type of zoom or better resolution of their images to convince me of otherwise, I'd assess your chances of a successful (same grade or higher) resubmission, crossing over to CGC, to be slim to nil on this one.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

There's a zoom feature, but I can't get it to function. On another PC, the image looks to be of very low resolution, so I can't see the fine details. Based on the very little that I can definitely see, I agree with the comment made here about it appearing soft for a 9.4. Without some type of zoom or better resolution of their images to convince me of otherwise, I'd assess your chances of a successful (same grade or higher) resubmission, crossing over to CGC, to be slim to nil on this one.

Thanks James!

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

CBCS is a lot looser imho.   I picked up a 5.0, cracked it out, and have very little doubt it will come back a 4.0 maybe 4.5 

When I bought it, I negotiated the price with that in mind.  

That's a lot different, even if you're correct, than saying CBCS can miss badly enough to call an 8.5 a 9.4.

I would disagree with that enormously.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:44 AM, sledgehammer said:

That's a lot different, even if you're correct, than saying CBCS can miss badly enough to call an 8.5 a 9.4.

I would disagree with that enormously.

As would I. And I get tired of seeing posts like "have very little doubt it will come back a 4.0 maybe 4.5." Just sub the book and let us know how it came back. And do supply front/back pics in the original CBCS slab, out of the slab (if you remove it before resubbing) and then in the CGC slab. This would eliminate potential downgrading for mishandling to/at/from CGC.