• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman Variants, Direct vs Newsstand
5 5

194 posts in this topic

Hello Brian @slpfi27

Nice pictures! And welcome to the forum :)

You've certainly put a lot of effort into collecting your Spectacular Spider-Man run - well done (I see your journal post too). I had the full set myself once, variants and all. None graded though - I like em raw. Now, you join the boards at a time when participation is dwindling and regular members have said all there is to say on the subject of newsstand vs direct, CGC labelling etc. So don't be disheartened if you don't get many responses here. It's just that there is nothing left to say on the matter. If you search the forum you will find scores of threads, many long running, which go into some detail about the points you are raising. 

That is not to say that your points aren't valid - they've just been discussed to death already. So maybe have a little hunt around and you'll find everyone elses views on the matter. 

CGC have graded over 5m books. That's a lot of unlabelled newsstands and directs. So there wouldn't be much value in any statistics were they to start now. But they may go for your resubmission suggestion, because it has a positive financial aspect. More money in the CGC coffers. I jest. Probably. 

Again, welcome, you have some decent thinking here, but I'm afraid everyone who is interested has already thunk it to death :foryou:

One other thing Brian, the embedded website below shows all the known US variants for The Spectacular Spider-Man:

http://www.pecokit.com/checklist/usa/pptssm76.html

Might be worth a look if you haven't seen it before to double check you have everything. Lots of variants in the title (I won't mention the pence ones) :)

1576539043_PPSSM213x3VE.thumb.jpg.60dec69178fe94ebe8e8b172d7947de7.jpg

You are so right.... and I have not seen that great site you showed me! Thank you bunches! This #213 is really frustrating indeed.... alot of Variants on that one by my count there is Four not Three ;) Also thank you so much for the kind post! Look forward to hearing all you folks have to say! I hope CGC understands the benefit to them to let us  re-submit the Newsstand Variants for Proper Placement. Certainly would add more money into the reslabbing for their profits, and at the sametime give us collectors something to shoot for. I am going back through my collection, and finding Newsstand Variants where possible. The way I see it, it will only make the set that much more impossible. 

Publication1.jpg

Edited by slpfi27
Added Text

Keep an eye out for misprints too Brian - a few of them out there (PPTSSM #23 & 27 below):

thumbnail.jpg.813639df69d9ce1de037afa64e534b36.jpg  243853480_thumbnail(1).jpg.85a598dae9e6ff32b6711abc472dc2f9.jpg

If you want to go full completist mad that is :grin:

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Keep an eye out for misprints too Brian - a few of them out there (PPTSSM #23 & 27 below):

thumbnail.jpg.813639df69d9ce1de037afa64e534b36.jpg  243853480_thumbnail(1).jpg.85a598dae9e6ff32b6711abc472dc2f9.jpg

If you want to go full completist mad that is :grin:

See! Now ya gone and done it! Just when I thought I was hunting my final few Canadian Variants, some10P and maybe a Yaffa and look what you come up with! Error Prints.... I had no idea?! Thanks for sharing i'll have to be on the look out for these too. You find out more let me know. I'm sure you have seen my set of "Spectacular Spider-Man Nuff Said!" Collection. If anyone has any suggestions or some help you can provide to make it more complete I am always grateful. 

Thanks for the headsup! I'll be hunting these now as well. 

Brian W.

<slpfi27>

1 minute ago, slpfi27 said:

Just when I thought I was hunting my final few Canadian Variants, some10P and maybe a Yaffa and look what you come up with! Error Prints....

Mark Jewelers Inserts.... :shy:

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Last one Brian - sorry - a trip down memory lane for me - you won't be getting a CGC 9.8 one of these! :bigsmile:

1074980638_SSMDIRT.thumb.JPG.96d41fd3bbfb373ef28605aa36285ce1.JPG

Actually my friend... I have a few of these, but I am curious I don't see this one in the CGC noted Variants. To my knowledge once the bag is opened it looks EXACTLY like the Direct edition in everyway including Price spot. Do you think it could be noted as a Variant simply because of the Dirt Bag Polybag? I was thinking about mentioning this to CGC to see if it was a possibility for a Variant? Thoughts? Also thank you so much for showing me your great books. I love it! So grateful for your time! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone says. If they say anything that is lol. 

Thanks again! 

Brian W 

<slpfi27>

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Mark Jewelers Inserts.... :shy:

Haahahaha! "Fleer Inserts" too, you jerk! LoL cracking me up. OKAY FINE! My collection will NEVER BE COMPLETE! lol See all I do is bring up Whitmans and Newsstand and then you gotta go all crazy cowboy on me! lol you so funny!

One thing to point out though, at least CGC mentions "Mark Jewelers" ,"Fleer Inserts", "Bubblicious" and a few others. How hard would it  be to simply note "Newsstand" moving forward, and seperating it to its own census data as they return for reslab. Simple way to generate added re-slab money for CGC, and easy way for us to get the Rarity we covet. Except for you raw guys out there lol. ;)

On a side note, on the CGC Registry my set is listed under "Spectacular Spider-Man" Set Name: Nuff Said. I have the final three books off for grading, and then I wish to fix my 21 non 9.8's to make it a perfect set. Then i'll do a few more Canadian Variants as well as hunt down the 10p's you displayed so awesomely above. Now I guess i'll be hunting errors until i'm in my 90's thanks to you! LoL SERIOUSLY though, thank you. I didn't know about those. 

Look forward to more....

Sincerely,

Brian W

<slpfi27>

Edited by slpfi27
Added Text

5 hours ago, slpfi27 said:

Haahahaha! "Fleer Inserts" too, you jerk! LoL cracking me up. OKAY FINE! My collection will NEVER BE COMPLETE! lol See all I do is bring up Whitmans and Newsstand and then you gotta go all crazy cowboy on me! lol you so funny!

:grin:

Sorry. As you can see, I used to be quite preoccupied with inserts...

ads.thumb.PNG.adfaf2ce1e32899eb88866a56cbb0f27.PNG

One thing to point out though, at least CGC mentions "Mark Jewelers" ,"Fleer Inserts", "Bubblicious" and a few others. How hard would it  be to simply note "Newsstand" moving forward, and seperating it to its own census data as they return for reslab.

I managed to get them to call 'UK Price Variants' (And Canadian / Australians) just that so there's hope :wishluck:

Simple way to generate added re-slab money for CGC, and easy way for us to get the Rarity we covet. Except for you raw guys out there lol. ;)

On a side note, on the CGC Registry my set is listed under "Spectacular Spider-Man" Set Name: Nuff Said. I have the final three books off for grading, and then I wish to fix my 21 non 9.8's to make it a perfect set.

I'll have a look...

Nice talking to a fellow lunatic variant enthusiast  :)

Great information friends!

Thank you for all this great info. So my understanding is maybe CGC hasn't made classifications because..... 

Would you like the RED PILL or the BLUE PILL? It's a rabit hole that nobody knows really just how deep it goes?

Hmmm....

3 minutes ago, Volcano1991 said:

...you can tell if it's a newsstand or not simply by looking at the cover? And if you can't tell what it is from the cover then who cares?

That applies in almost all cases of course for those who know their stuff. But not everyone knows their stuff. And for those that are interested in data streams, knowing for example the split of newsstand vs direct in the CGC census might be helpful information. 

17 hours ago, slpfi27 said:

PROBLEM: The Whitman Issues are also CLEARLY different as they have a Black Box with a White Diamond.

Those ARE NOT "Whitman" issues. They are Direct market editions.

17 hours ago, slpfi27 said:

I feel this has been addressed on other forum posts, but I wanted to add, why doesn't CGC note Direct Editions, and Newsstand Variants?

Because when CGC opened in 2000, the market placed no value on the difference. CGC has refused to alter that stance since. Their argument is that "you can easily tell just by looking at it." That's a bad argument, because it ignores their most valuable marketing tools: the registry and the census. You cannot tell by looking at the census how many are Directs and how many are newsstands. But that's what they decided, and that's what they're going to do.

14 hours ago, slpfi27 said:

How hard would it  be to simply note "Newsstand" moving forward,

Because that's the way they've been doing it for 20 years, and until it makes a noticeable dent in submissions, they won't change.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Those ARE NOT "Whitman" issues. They are Direct market editions.

Because when CGC opened in 2000, the market placed no value on the difference. CGC has refused to alter that stance since. Their argument is that "you can easily tell just by looking at it." That's a bad argument, because it ignores their most valuable marketing tools: the registry and the census. You cannot tell by looking at the census how many are Directs and how many are newsstands. But that's what they decided, and that's what they're going to do.

Because that's the way they've been doing it for 20 years, and until it makes a noticeable dent in submissions, they won't change.

Okay so "Direct Market Editions" Whatever they should be called. Clearly i'm not an "expert" but the clarity of what a book is should be noted. The way CGC makes this make sense is they make money on doing it. As you said, it benefits us and them in almost everyway possible. So I get it.... 20 Years later .... Here we are lets do this! Lets call a book what it is. Also software and technology is with us. Why keep the old ways when the new ways are so much more CRAZY! :)

Edited by slpfi27
Added Text