• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When it rains, it pours! Ugh!
2 2

17 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Weren't you looking for 24 forever? Backstory,  please. And a big congrats! (thumbsu

I've got the run, but it's far from 9.8. It's my off the racks childhood run, signed by Trimpe and Green at a con that I organized when I was in high school.

15, 17 and 24 are the hardest to find (low census). I bought a 15 CBCS 9.8 and had it crossed to CGC as a 9.8 (only 4 Universal I think, with mine).  The 17 I gambled on and bought a raw copy and got a 9.8! I kept a close eye on the census and noticed that there was a new 24 which I looked out for.  I found it on CLink (Exchange) luckily where I don't believe too many people keep a close eye on(?). In short I got lucky with the 17.  I think @Jaws1965 has been looking for one for years now.  I was aggressive in the hunt, I started in Aug 2018. Kudos to @Jordysnordy for the moral support :roflmao:.

22 minutes ago, Jaws1965 said:

Congrats Xeno!  I miss one day of checking, and this is what happens!  Fortunately, there's another #17 9.8 WP up for bid today.  Hopefully I'll get it.  Was the 9.8 #17 you picked up a nice one?  The bid copy is decent, but it looks like it has a bit of cover translucency...hard to tell from the picture when they didn't include a photo of the back cover.  Oh well, I bid on it anyway, and hopefully in 6 days I will join you with the full 9.8 run, all WP!  And my #24 is a beauty.  Signed by Herb Trimpe, who I met and shook his hand 9 months before he passed away.  (I bought my gold label #24 signed about a month before he passed...didn't have him sign it myself.)

You all may appreciate this story.  I met Mr. Trimpe at the Baltimore Comic Con in 2014.  All I had for him to sign (and the only thing I *wanted* him to sign) was my single VG reader copy of Godzilla #9, which I had bought when I was 12 years old.  We started swapping stories while a ton of people were waiting in line, and we discovered that we were both prior Air Force.  He was enlisted, and I'm a retired officer, and he insisted on saluting me right then and there!  He was such a gentleman, and his wife was wonderful.  While he and I were chatting, even our wives hit it off!  My wife took pics!  I'll look for them and post. 

That wrinkled-up, well-read and loved, autographed copy of #9 means a lot to me.  I have it framed.

RIP Herb, the artist who got me into serious comic collecting with Godzilla #9.

I’m very happy with my #17! There is a photo of it in the registry.  
Im not as happy with my 24 though. It’s oww, I almost bought the 24 listed yesterday but then came to my senses!

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 2/15/2020 at 6:56 AM, Xenosmilus said:

One of my offers was accepted and now I have a Complete Marvel Godzilla (1977) CGC 9.8 run!!!!! :acclaim::banana::acclaim:

:foryou: I'm sorry for your loss.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, Xenosmilus said:

15, 17 and 24 are the hardest to find (low census). I bought a 15 CBCS 9.8 and had it crossed to CGC as a 9.8 (only 4 Universal I think, with mine).  The 17 I gambled on and bought a raw copy and got a 9.8! I kept a close eye on the census and noticed that there was a new 24 which I looked out for.  I found it on CLink (Exchange) luckily where I don't believe too many people keep a close eye on(?). In short I got lucky with the 17.  I think @Jaws1965 has been looking for one for years now.  I was aggressive in the hunt, I started in Aug 2018. Kudos to @Jordysnordy for the moral support :roflmao:.

:golfclap:Godzilla is a fun series.

Registry now is now up to 67 sets :banana:

I hope
@Jaws1965 can finish his set this week with the 17

Edited by Jordysnordy

if you have good credit, go out and find one of the zero interest for one year cards.  Buy all your junk now, and be disciplined over the next year while paying your stuff back.