• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do collectors often reset or start over?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, it's called a Mid life crisis. lol   Glad you are tackling it in this manner... It's much better than divorcing your wife, buying the corvette, and marrying younger woman. 

Wait, wait, wait. You mean I can have my comics, a Corvette and a younger wife?

What a great idea! 🤣

22 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Welcome to the club.  I used to be 100% into comics... now it's 90% OA, 10% comics.

Hop on over to the OA section of the boards, you'll get all the info you need.  :D

I will have to do this. I have some OA but nothing I am overly attached had to with the exception on a David Finch Wonder Woman character guide.

In a perfect world I would just trade books for art but I understand that isn't likely to be common. I have a nice WWBN #32 that is an iunpressed 9.6 I should just put on the OA board and ask for trade offers 🤣.

9 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

I will have to do this. I have some OA but nothing I am overly attached had to with the exception on a David Finch Wonder Woman character guide.

In a perfect world I would just trade books for art but I understand that isn't likely to be common. I have a nice WWBN #32 that is an iunpressed 9.6 I should just put on the OA board and ask for trade offers 🤣.

Certain dealers like Superworld Comics (Ted is awesome!), anthonyscomicbookart.com, Nostalgic Investments, and others will accept books in trade for their OA, so worth a shot.  Otherwise, yup... fundraising via sales is the way to go.  It's fun to see how much your comics will return.

I really appreaciate the various viewpoints people shared. In reading and contemplating I think it simply comes down to the chase. Once I have the run completed it just collects dust. While this is fine, I am finding I don't have the same emotional attachment I had with the books when they seemed like an accomplishment. There are a few I simply wouldn't sell but it may be time to sell many of them.

Great discussion and thanks!🤘

1 hour ago, ignimbrite said:

I really appreaciate the various viewpoints people shared. In reading and contemplating I think it simply comes down to the chase. Once I have the run completed it just collects dust. While this is fine, I am finding I don't have the same emotional attachment I had with the books when they seemed like an accomplishment. There are a few I simply wouldn't sell but it may be time to sell many of them.

Great discussion and thanks!🤘

One other point I'd make, from personal experience, is to not get rid of the core books you really love within a greater collection. Once gone, you may see them again, and feel the urge to do it all over again. To illustrate, I collected an ASM run three times down the years. There's no guarantee that there won't be a fourth...

I've started over a couple of times. Once, when I more or less had to due to financial circumstances brought about by an ill fated relationship (long, dumb story), and again when I decided to change my collecting focus. Nowadays I jump around. I have a small core of books that are my "keepers", but otherwise my collection ebbs and flows. Sometimes it's several thousand books, sometimes it's a few hundred. I get collecting ADHD. My focus shifts. I love comics, but I also love art and toys. So, sell comics to buy art, sell art to buy toys, sell toys to buy comics, rinse and repeat. It can be very liberating to clean the slate and start over, as long as it's your choice to do so. As was noted above, the chase is often much more fun than actually owning the thing. Right now I have about 12 short boxes of stuff that feels pretty permanent. Otherwise I'm selling stuff off and using the money to buy a few nicer things. It's fun.Collecting should never feel like an obligation. 

I am a hoarder, there is no way I will let go, which if anyone else collected my drek, would annoy. 

It's taken me decades to get my collection to where it's at, I just cannot bear without it.

That being said, my entire collection has sat in storage for years and years until I have a proper home for it

1 minute ago, IkewithMike said:

I am a hoarder, there is no way I will let go, which if anyone else collected my drek, would annoy. 

It's taken me decades to get my collection to where it's at, I just cannot bear without it.

That being said, my entire collection has sat in storage for years and years until I have a proper home for it

That's funny because although we have shockingly similar tastes,  I am the complete opposite.  I'm a total minimalist.  Always trying to get rid of anything after 3 long boxes....

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

That's funny because although we have shockingly similar tastes,  I am the complete opposite.  I'm a total minimalist.  Always trying to get rid of anything after 3 long boxes....

lol heres me with 10 long boxes, not including my slabs.

And a lot of people here make me look absolute minimalist 

7 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

I really appreaciate the various viewpoints people shared. In reading and contemplating I think it simply comes down to the chase

Or the Citibank, or the capital one... in other words... wherever there’s an account with a dime left 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:
1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:

lol heres me with 10 long boxes, not including my slabs.

And a lot of people here make me look absolute minimalist 

Absolutely,  

@lizards2 has a huge collection.  Possibly the biggest on the board. 

I'm sure there are larger hoarders than me around here...., :p

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You know what they say about guys with big collections...

Short fingers?

They call me Tuna Fish Can.

Originally from Australia I started collecting in 87. Stopped around 94 and started again in 2004. I ended up with about 5k in books.

Met my wife in Australia and she wanted to move back to the States as she is American.

So I kept 350 books packed them into 3 suitcases and sold the rest. This was 7 years ago.

Since starting over again I've bought books I've never owned before so my collection is totally different.

I agree with some here the hunt is what makes it fun.

An example is I'm a big Subby fan so when I got back into comics in 2004 I put together a run of TTA 70-101 in vf. Took just 6 months. Too easy.

So thought how about a run 70 -101 in cgc pedigrees no matter the condition. 

16 years later I'm still short 4 books that are not keys. And the hunt continues 👍

While I think about it.

Anyone who is interested in selling TTA cgc pedigree books in the numbers 76, 87,100 and 101 let me know.

Edited by southern cross

7 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

is that from Tacoma FD show?

Haven't a clue what you're talking about.