• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Psycho Yearbook Skywald
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've been looking all over for a copy of the Psycho 74 yearbook and acquired this copy.  I am thinking about sending it to CGC, but would greatly appreciate your input on a couple pieces.  There are the letters TX written on the cover.  Fortunately (IMHO) it's not over the artwork and pretty inconspicuous.  The additional piece is that it's a double cover. 

I'd love to get your take on grade and if I'm understanding correctly, CGC takes the grade of the nicer of the two covers (plus the condition of the rest of the magazine).  Does that mean this might not suffer a "ding" in the grading department? 

As always, appreciate your input

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by This is Who We Are

You did well to find a copy this nice---even the exterior cover is nicer than most. And you're right about CGC assigning the grade to the higher of the two covers (as long as nothing else inside the book brings the grade down).

From the looks of it, you scored nicely on this one...way to go.  (thumbsu

Well, after more than a year, I'm finally getting the book back.  

Psycho Yearbook nn 1974 Skywald Publications Double Cover.  With no graders notes, hard to determine what evaluator(s) saw but that interior cover is as clean as I’ve seen

Universal
Grader Notes
9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Double Cover: 1st cover 7.5, interior cover 9.0

I'm approaching a year on a magazine that was supposed to be signed last April & graded with an advertised 4-6 week turnaround time. I do know that the magazine, signature & comics are all separate operations, as are the different tiers of comics. Magazines have been abysmally slow, with waiting for the new holder being the latest excuse for prolonged waits. I'm a little surprised that a 7.5 exterior didn't warrant some explanation, but it's not been uncommon for comics I get back a 9.0 & higher to not have notes. 9.0/9.2 I'd say are 50/50 on getting notes, with the chance decreasing as the grades go higher.

I wasn't hanging around here when you posted, but there is some color rub on that outer cover. I agree, 7.5 seems a little harsh, especially for a magazine. I would have been at more of an 8.0/8.5 leaning higher b/c the black covers are so damn hard to not have rubs or spine stress show up like a sore thumb. In talking to the guy who handles my submissions, it's easy to be the victim or the beneficiary of what's happening at CGC at a given time. Not the case for this book, but he's noticed, for example, that if something gets too hot, it's a bad time to send that book b/c they see too many of the same book & just get too nitpicky. This is a unicorn book, so maybe someone just had a slightly off day, or saw something that we can't in photos. Never hurts to call, or post in the Ask CGC forum with an issue like this.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:16 PM, scburdet said:

I'm approaching a year on a magazine that was supposed to be signed last April & graded with an advertised 4-6 week turnaround time. I do know that the magazine, signature & comics are all separate operations, as are the different tiers of comics. Magazines have been abysmally slow, with waiting for the new holder being the latest excuse for prolonged waits. I'm a little surprised that a 7.5 exterior didn't warrant some explanation, but it's not been uncommon for comics I get back a 9.0 & higher to not have notes. 9.0/9.2 I'd say are 50/50 on getting notes, with the chance decreasing as the grades go higher.

I wasn't hanging around here when you posted, but there is some color rub on that outer cover. I agree, 7.5 seems a little harsh, especially for a magazine. I would have been at more of an 8.0/8.5 leaning higher b/c the black covers are so damn hard to not have rubs or spine stress show up like a sore thumb. In talking to the guy who handles my submissions, it's easy to be the victim or the beneficiary of what's happening at CGC at a given time. Not the case for this book, but he's noticed, for example, that if something gets too hot, it's a bad time to send that book b/c they see too many of the same book & just get too nitpicky. This is a unicorn book, so maybe someone just had a slightly off day, or saw something that we can't in photos. Never hurts to call, or post in the Ask CGC forum with an issue like this.

Thanks!  I appreciate that.  A 9 is top of census. It’s a nice copy and as a double cover these were destroyed at the manufacturer when discovered so I should be stoked with this unicorn