• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tear sealed with glue

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, wondering if anyone has experience with amateur tear seals using glue. Specifically would this type of "repair" result in a purple restored label or a blue label?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist. Cheers.

Alex

20200216_182742.jpg

37 minutes ago, maxon said:

Thanks, off to CCS for this one then.

If they reopen the tear but don't remove all the glue, you may still get the "small amount of dried glue on the cover" comment on the label. And, depending upon the era of the book (!) it may still get a purple label. 

If they do completely remove the glue, then you should achieve the coveted blue Universal label...  :gossip:

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If they reopen the tear but don't remove all the glue, you may still get the "small amount of dried glue on the cover" comment on the label. And, depending upon the era of the book (!) it may still get a purple label. 

If they do completely remove the glue, then you should achieve the coveted blue Universal label...  :gossip:

I'd hope they could determine this in the prescreen. I'd hate to spend the time and money involved with this process and still end up with a purple.

Just for crazies, would it be better to cut the glued piece out and get a lower-graded blue label, or have it as is with a purple label? I'm talking price/value-wise. I know some people avoid purple label books, so their price is lower for the same grade score between blue and purple labels. 

4 hours ago, Conacon said:

Just for crazies, would it be better to cut the glued piece out and get a lower-graded blue label, or have it as is with a purple label? I'm talking price/value-wise. I know some people avoid purple label books, so their price is lower for the same grade score between blue and purple labels. 

Depends the book. The PLOD isn't as lethal with keys when it comes to minor restoration like this. People have wisenned up.

For instance this 4.0 purple label book sold for the 3.0 price, which is the grade it would be if the tear wasn't sealed.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mary-marvel-comics-1-fawcett-publications-1945-cgc-apparent-vg-40-slight-c-1-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122008-17359.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

So in the end, the sealed tear and the purple lable didn't change the initial value of the book in any way.