• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which great Silver/Bronze age artist current work has held up the most?

45 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Until his retirement hands down for me Joe Sinnott. 

Good call. I was at  Joe's house last year and saw his most current inking on the Spider-Man Sunday strip. It's scratchier than the  '70s work, but not exactly diminished -- looks a lot like Silver Age Frank Giacoia. At the end of the day, he sat down drew Thor and Thing headshots - brilliantly.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Good call. I was at  Joe's house last year and saw his most current inking on the Spider-Man Sunday strip. It's scratchier than the  '70s work, but not exactly diminished -- looks a lot like Silver Age Frank Giacoia. At the end of the day, he sat down drew Thor and Thing headshots - brilliantly.

That’s great that you could be there. I think his last published work before retirement was on the Spider-Man strip.

What an absolute treasure he is! 

55 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Walt Simonson - Ragnarok his current series is excellent. He's been working steadily since 1973 and has had some great runs - Manhunter and Thor especially.

Actually a terrific choice. 

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Walt Simonson - Ragnarok his current series is excellent. He's been working steadily since 1973 and has had some great runs - Manhunter and Thor especially.

Simonson is the guy who always seems to come up in these debates as the guy who still has "it" at the age of 73.  Still dynamic and still prolific.  Having just turned 60 this year, I am more and more impressed by the guys who are still producing and still very relevant.  Gives me hope!  :preach:

3 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Neal Adams has been doing lots of interior work in recent years.  He is in the middle of a Batman/R'has Al Ghoul series right now.  Whatever one thinks of his current work, the guy puts out a ton of work at the age of 78.

That doesn't even account for all the commissions and sketches he does (and fast!).. and is at almost every show I see. I do not know how he does it. 

4 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Neal Adams has been doing lots of interior work in recent years.  He is in the middle of a Batman/R'has Al Ghoul series right now.  Whatever one thinks of his current work, the guy puts out a ton of work at the age of 78.

I think his page layouts are as strong, if not stronger, than his older stuff. I don’t think his line work is as good as it used to be, but they still carry a lot of heft.