• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which great Silver/Bronze age artist current work has held up the most?

45 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, glendgold said:

Good call. I was at  Joe's house last year and saw his most current inking on the Spider-Man Sunday strip. It's scratchier than the  '70s work, but not exactly diminished -- looks a lot like Silver Age Frank Giacoia. At the end of the day, he sat down drew Thor and Thing headshots - brilliantly.

Color me green with envy on your day at Joe's place! Pics of the headshots?

15 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Who do you think continues to create on a master level from the 60’s/70’s/80’s? 

Very difficult to answer for artists who started/worked in the 60's because there are so few of them remaining, and for those that are still with us, I don't think they've been afforded many assignments in recent decades for us to gauge the quality of their work.

Likewise for many artists who started their careers in the 1970s.  I'd love to see what Brunner can do with a short story these days.  He'll be 71 on Feb 21st

Jim Starlin is still pretty sharp. 

Don Rosa was awesome, up to his retirement in 2012 or 2013.  To this day, I think 'The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck' is the best comicbook origin story ever told. 

Folks who started in the 1980's that are still top notch includes most of the Image co-founders: McFarlane, Silvestri, Lee, Portacio (overlooked far too often). 

Props to Art Adams, Bill Sienkiewicz (I would pay just to watch him illustrate something), Dale Keown, Dave Sim (Master of all genres), the Kubert brothers, Tim Sale, Kelley Jones 

And last, but not least, no list is complete without Sal Buscema.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Very difficult to answer for artists who started/worked in the 60's because there are so few of them remaining, and for those that are still with us, I don't think they've been afforded many assignments in recent decades for us to gauge the quality of their work.

Likewise for many artists who started their careers in the 1970s.  I'd love to see what Brunner can do with a short story these days.  He'll be 71 on Feb 21st

Jim Starlin is still pretty sharp. 

Don Rosa was awesome, up to his retirement in 2012 or 2013.  To this day, I think 'The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck' is the best comicbook origin story ever told. 

Folks who started in the 1980's that are still top notch includes most of the Image co-founders: McFarlane, Silvestri, Lee, Portacio (overlooked far too often). 

Props to Art Adams, Bill Sienkiewicz (I would pay just to watch him illustrate something), Dale Keown, Dave Sim (Master of all genres), the Kubert brothers, Tim Sale, Kelley Jones 

And last, but not least, no list is complete without Sal Buscema.  :facepalm:

Terrific artists and good reasoning. I wasn’t going to be the first to mention our pal Sal so thanks for that. All joking aside I think Sal is wonderful and Ive always enjoyed his work.

(thumbsu

I am not a fan of Neal's current work. You mean to tell me you can hold up what he is putting out today (like that Cage cover) and it holds up to anything he put out in the 70's? I'm sorry but that Cage cover is basic bland today material. You could have told me it was Joe Blow generic artist that Marvel seems to attach to and I woulda said yep looks like it. 

I will credit Neal for continuing to work but for me that work does not hold up. Look at these and tell me I am wrong.

dracula-lives-03_01.jpg

batman227.jpg

strangeadventures207.jpg

weirdwesterntales15.jpg

And these are some of his "not as highly regarded and collected" covers.

3 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Here's another recent Neal that some might call basic but I think is fantastic. As much as I like Byrne I don't see his work holding up like this. 

XMenBlue1VariantCover-72.jpg.e684b6082e6ffb93f87e6f246d398ca2.jpg

4-12-2017-5.thumb.jpg.395685c5c0ea8bbbac8ebdb0befdde03.jpg

It is certainly a nice piece, with a classic Adams feel. But, if you look at his older stuff, you will often see more detail and a finer line with greater backgrounds. This one almost has a minimalist feel—do what is necessary to create impact, but not more. Not a knock, just not as great as his old best.

Kim Dietch. 

Though no longer with us, the record for producing quality comics work probably goes to Joe Kubert, who even if you discount his earliest work where he was still finding his stride, produced over 60 years of memorable art.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, stinkininkin said:

Simonson is the guy who always seems to come up in these debates as the guy who still has "it" at the age of 73.  Still dynamic and still prolific.  Having just turned 60 this year, I am more and more impressed by the guys who are still producing and still very relevant.  Gives me hope!  :preach:

Zero chance you're 60, Scott. 50 I might believe. 

You're just trying to work your way into this "geezers competition" aren't you?

17 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

It is certainly a nice piece, with a classic Adams feel. But, if you look at his older stuff, you will often see more detail and a finer line with greater backgrounds. This one almost has a minimalist feel—do what is necessary to create impact, but not more. Not a knock, just not as great as his old best.

I believe it’s also a problem posed by the "mandatory" computer coloring. If Marvel (or whoever else) asks for a piece to be "clean" to allow room for computer coloring, then the artist can either say yes or refuse the work.
And it’s downright bad. Almost as political correctness.

Just now, Catwoman_Fan said:

Mike Mignola is still drawing and painting at a high level.  He's temporarily retired a time or two, but he keeps working with con sketches, covers, and the occasional interior work.

I second Brian Bolland , and I'm not sure how prolific he's been over the last 5-10 years. What are his recent projects?

He's been more selective but he's done a bunch of work for collected editions, dredd, DC, etc. I think his last long run of consecutive covers was Jack of Fables, but after that he did a cover here and there for a bunch of different titles and publishers.