• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading without pressing?

5 posts in this topic

I’ve never submitted to CGC myself, and am considering doing so with a few books.  Two questions:

Is it crazy to submit a book without getting it pressed?  I want to submit a couple of moderns that look great to my eye, but I’ve heard some people say it’s crazy to get a book graded without pressing also.  Do people have any luck getting back 9.8’s without pressing?

For those of you that submit books, how many books do you generally wait to submit at once?  I was thinking of sending when I had about 5 I wanted to grade to save on shipping, but should I aim to send more?

Plenty of people get 9.8’s without pressing.  
ive gotten tons of 9.8’s without pressing.  But I’ve also gotten plenty of 9.6’s without pressing where a press might have helped.  Hard to know without experience.  

totally up to you, but not a requirement by any stretch

3 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

I’ve never submitted to CGC myself, and am considering doing so with a few books.  Two questions:

Is it crazy to submit a book without getting it pressed?  I want to submit a couple of moderns that look great to my eye, but I’ve heard some people say it’s crazy to get a book graded without pressing also.  Do people have any luck getting back 9.8’s without pressing?

For those of you that submit books, how many books do you generally wait to submit at once?  I was thinking of sending when I had about 5 I wanted to grade to save on shipping, but should I aim to send more?

Look at previous auction wins on e-bay comparing what the same book gets in a 9.8 and a 9.6. if the 9.8 gets much more than the cost of a press than go for the press. While it might not boost a grade, at least it could confirm the grade you were thinking. And remember, a lot of people overestimate grades, especially new collectors. if you want to get a 9.6 or 9.8 and want to send it to pressing, make sure there is no colour break anywhere on the covers, since those will not be taken out with a press.

Also, I asked the same question here and people were kind to reply so you may get more answers:

Edited by William-James88

12 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

1. No.
  2. Yes.

12 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

here's a CGC chart about return shipping fees based on # book and value

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/cgc-return-shipping-fees.pdf