• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 1 0.5 Qualified
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hello! I was just looking over some Heritage Auctions, and noticed that there is a Captain America Comics #1 for sale in poor condition. For some reason, the book is in a qualified slab. Is there a reason a book in 0.5 condition would be put in a qualified slab? I thought the purpose of qualified slabs was to get the highest possible grade if a given defect were not present, making it seem almost pointless when the comic receives the lowest grade possible (other than a NG). I included some pictures below.

286DA6F8-E0B4-4A14-9E16-893AA801EB8F.jpeg

2662C356-B4F3-4655-86F4-A8BC897D9535.jpeg

On 2/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, JoeJ said:

I thought the purpose of qualified slabs was to get the highest possible grade if a given defect were not present, making it seem almost pointless when the comic receives the lowest grade possible (other than a NG). 

The green slab also means a book is graded in spite of a defect that couldnt be accepted with a universal grade. This book's cover is not the actual cover that came with this specific book, so right off the bat, this will always get green. Now grading the book in spite of this flaw, it happens to still be missing pages, so it becomes a 0.5

This looks like someone's pet project to put a cap 1 together and realized that it was becoming not worth their time and money and called it a day. 

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The green slab also means a book is graded in spite of a defect that couldnt be accepted with a universal grade. This book's cover is not the actual cover that came with this specific book, so right off the bat, this will always get green. Now grading the book in spite of this flaw, it happens to still be missing pages, so it becomes a 0.5

This looks like someone's pet project to put a cap 1 together and realized that it was becoming not worth their time and money and called it a day. 

Not to derail the thread, but if you marry a different front cover and back cover to a coverless book, then pay a professional restorer to reattach the married front and married back cover, is the book still qualified? Or just restored? 

I've pieced together my first book with the missing back cover in the mail. I would really like to make it a complete book once again and have it done correctly. 

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Not to derail the thread, but if you marry a different front cover and back cover to a coverless book, then pay a professional restorer to reattach the married front and married back cover, is the book still qualified? Or just restored? 

Restored, since reattaching both front and back together to make it look like they are not detached would count as restoration.

43 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Restored, since reattaching both front and back together to make it look like they are not detached would count as restoration.

This is what I'm hoping for. A restored purple label. 

From a value standpoint,  I'm not sure if purple or green is better. From a collector stand point,  I feel much better about completing the book. I'm working with (or at least getting a quote from) Susan Cicconi to do the work and when I have it graded I'll send a copy of her work in so CGC knows exactly what was and wasn't done. 

It's a Detective comics 26 by the way. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

This is what I'm hoping for. A restored purple label. 

From a value standpoint,  I'm not sure if purple or green is better. From a collector stand point,  I feel much better about completing the book. I'm working with (or at least getting a quote from) Susan Cicconi to do the work and when I have it graded I'll send a copy of her work in so CGC knows exactly what was and wasn't done. 

It's a Detective comics 26 by the way. 

Its awesome that you have a copy of that!