• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scans and Pics of Detective Comics #27 Back Cover

17 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Hello,

If anyone has any pics or scans of an original Detective Comics #27 back cover (interior side and exterior side), would you mind sharing or shooting me a PM?

Thanks! :smile:

The back cover (interior and exterior ) is shared by multiple ga comics. Impossible to know “if” from a 27 unless provenance to prove 

59 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The back cover (interior and exterior ) is shared by multiple ga comics. Impossible to know “if” from a 27 unless provenance to prove 

This is 100% true.

I’m looking for as many examples of Detective #27 back covers (front covers too) to study printing/ink patterns.

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

This is 100% true.

I’m looking for as many examples of Detective #27 back covers (front covers too) to study printing/ink patterns.

Can’t imagine there will be any discernible pattern from a 1930s print run ?

Unlike Timely, DC used the same cover ads and matching dept store numbers/codes within the same month. So a Tec 27 and Action 12 would have matching inside/outside BCs. There would be no way to tell which book it came off of if you had a random BC from publishing date May, 1939. The All American and Movie comics would not have matching BCs with the DCs. Gaines (All American Comics) obviously had a partnership with DC but that did not seem to extend to publishing the same ads each month. 

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=4&year=1939&publisher=dc&sort=alpha&checklist=null

Edited by Primetime

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Yes, could get a BC off a Tec 27, A12, Ad38, or MF43

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=4&year=1939&publisher=dc&sort=alpha&checklist=null

@Wayne-Tec check ebay.  I saw a listing for an actual Detective 27 back cover (it was cut from a Detective 27 and there are pics of it prior to the cutting).  Even though it is a shared back cover, this one has provenance.

I also saw that DTA has an All American 2, but it's missing the back cover and the centerfold.

20 hours ago, Yorick said:

@Wayne-Tec check ebay.  I saw a listing for an actual Detective 27 back cover (it was cut from a Detective 27 and there are pics of it prior to the cutting).  Even though it is a shared back cover, this one has provenance.

I also saw that DTA has an All American 2, but it's missing the back cover and the centerfold.

I own that copy. It’s the only loose BC I’ve ever seen with true provenance to prove it’s authentic to Detective Comics #27 and not another book from that month.

14 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Thanks for sharing!

Do you have any interior pics of the Adventure #38 BC?

I have the book with me. I pull it out when I get time and take a picture of the inside back cover for you.