• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press?

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I had a question about whether or not I should have a book that’s already been graded pressed and sent back for potentially a higher grade. It’s an Uncanny X-Men #94 at an 8.0. In the grader notes all they pointed out were some creases on the front and back cover. One crease breaks color though so I know there’s nothing a press can do about that, but what about the others? Do you guys think it’d be worth it? I plan on keeping this issue a long time and want it in the highest grade possible. I’ve attached a picture of the grader notes as well.

9A553807-2403-42D7-9391-CB105E921FF5.png

Without seeing the book I think it would be worth it. The difference from 8.0 to a 8.5 is pretty substantial and gets very significant if it can get in the 9s. If you have the disposable income available it could be worth it. Any time you regrade it's a gamble though.

My sense of it is that if you can reduce or eliminate the creases that don't break color (especially the ones on the front cover) at the very least you'll have a stronger VF copy. Just make sure to get the book evaluated by a qualified professional before having it pressed...

11 hours ago, Steelrain41 said:

Without seeing the book I think it would be worth it. The difference from 8.0 to a 8.5 is pretty substantial and gets very significant if it can get in the 9s. If you have the disposable income available it could be worth it. Any time you regrade it's a gamble though.

I concur with the bolded.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I concur with the bolded.

I'm not much on graded books, because I like to read them!

But what exactly does a press do and why does it potentially increase the grade. I mean I would assume if a comic has a dog ear then the press won't do anything, would it?

9 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

I'm not much on graded books, because I like to read them!

But what exactly does a press do and why does it potentially increase the grade. I mean I would assume if a comic has a dog ear then the press won't do anything, would it?

A press (done by someone who knows what they're doing) will remove press-able defects like non-color-breaking bends and creases. A 'cleaning" will remove excess dirt/grime in non-restorative techniques.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

A press (done by someone who knows what they're doing) will remove press-able defects like non-color-breaking bends and creases. A 'cleaning" will remove excess dirt/grime in non-restorative techniques.

Thanks!

Just started another run at Skyrim (For some lifeless reason) as a Nord. Have you ever played the game? Sometimes I just feel like going into towns and pillaging them (I know off topic, sorry)

1 minute ago, BaronSamedi said:

Thanks!

Just started another run at Skyrim (For some lifeless reason) as a Nord. Have you ever played the game? Sometimes I just feel like going into towns and pillaging them (I know off topic, sorry)

I bought an Elder Scrolls game a few years ago and literally never even put the disc into my system. I simply play too much NHL. I also bought Arkham Knight and never played that, either. I have had my friend's copy of Spider-Man for 6 months and barely made a dent. lol

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I bought an Elder Scrolls game a few years ago and literally never even put the disc into my system. I simply play too much NHL. I also bought Arkham Knight and never played that, either. I have had my friend's copy of Spider-Man for 6 months and barely made a dent. lol

I still have Arkham too and just cannot be bothered.

StarWars Battlefront and Call of Duty seem to be in my system a lot, that and GTA, but sometimes I feel like vegging out and Skyrim does that for me (graphics are horrible though)

Not too much into the sports games, but do you play strictly online?  What team do you use?

3 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

I still have Arkham too and just cannot be bothered.

StarWars Battlefront and Call of Duty seem to be in my system a lot, that and GTA, but sometimes I feel like vegging out and Skyrim does that for me (graphics are horrible though)

Not too much into the sports games, but do you play strictly online?  What team do you use?

The 1st Arkham game was great, which is why I bought Knight.

I used to play offline Franchise Mode (Be a GM) as the DET Red Wings. Since they suck complete ace, I've resorted to starting HUT (team name is Puupdiik lmfao). HUT is a little too complicated to explain.

I've been playing EASHL for over a decade, which is a mode where you only control 1 player and play with/against other individuals online (basically simulating real hockey). I'm a co-GM and Alternate Captain for the team 'You Won't, No Balls'.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The 1st Arkham game was great, which is why I bought Knight.

I used to play offline Franchise Mode (Be a GM) as the DET Red Wings. Since they suck complete ace, I've resorted to starting HUT (team name is Puupdiik lmfao). HUT is a little too complicated to explain.

I've been playing EASHL for over a decade, which is a mode where you only control 1 player and play with/against other individuals online (basically simulating real hockey). I'm a co-GM and Alternate Captain for the team 'You Won't, No Balls'.

That sounds awesome

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:boo:

I played Elder Scrolls for like 2 months its like WOW but I can't play those kind of games without a PC it feels to weird for PS4... 

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm a console gamer at heart.

yeah I was a console gamer at heart when I was little then I think when PC games took off like Command and Conquer, WOW I started to use the PC more and was split between the two, recently switched back to console... I guess it comes in phases lol