• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Allentown thread...
4 4

139 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

BTW I love that you can find 18 year old scans on Heritage's site. That book sold for $4495 plus juice 7/4/02 and then for $9000 in July 2011 - what would it go for now?

The Captain 6?

An 8.5 just sold for $9,300 - no pedigree but Off-White. 

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, which pedigree copy of Wonderworld 7 would you have in your personal collection then?  hm

I owned the Church copy in the mid 80s. Sold it to pay for a move. We all saw it sell in the Berk auction. I wish I had more money.

Yes, starting to look like a mighty expensive move since it was a CGC 9.6 graded copy that sold for something like $66K in the Berk auction.  :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I owned the Allentown for about a day. Paid a ton for it at a San Diego show, then got offered a huge ton at the show and sold it. That guy still has it.

Well, looks like whoever you bought the Allentown Copy of Wonderworld 7 must have made out like a bandit then, since it was brought for only $1,400 during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening way back in '95.  I guess it was still not yet officially recognized as a classic cover at the time since it sold for the exact same price point of $1,400 as the rest of the Allentown run of Wonderworld 6 to 10 did (no copy of Wonderworld 8 listed in there for some odd reason ???).  Guess the buyer must had known it was a special cover as it was apparently set aside by Snyder in advance of the opening and hence was not available when the rest of the Allentown Wonderworld books came out during that wild and crazy feeding frenzy on that Saturday morning after the opening.  :frustrated:

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Lucked into the S copy (those grease pencil S books that started showing up in the early 90s). I have managed to keep that one.

Well, if it's in the early 90's, then I guess there is no truth then to the rumours that these "grease pencilled black S" books were one of the original pedigrees released into the marketplace even before the concept of pedigrees were introduced into the hobby?  Can't remember who now, but if I remember correctly, a long established board member here thought these "S" copies might have initially found their way into the marketplace even before the Reilly and Church pedigrees did.  hm  (shrug)

I remember seeing one of these "Black S" copies of a Wonderworld book on Veryzl's table at one of the SD Con's in the mid to latter part of the 90's.  It was definitely an absolutely stunner of a copy, but John was asking huge multiples to top of guide for it and refused to budge down on it by even a single dollar.  With respect to your copy of Wonderworld 7, any idea what the grade on it would be if you did not have to factor in the greased S mark which CGC would probably see as a defect and downgrade accordingly for it?  hm   :luhv:  :takeit:

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to your copy of Wonderworld 7, any idea what the grade on it would be if you did not have to factor in the greased S mark which CGC would probably see as a defect and downgrade accordingly for it?  hm   :luhv:  :takeit:

It is a 9.0.