• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Allentown thread...
4 4

139 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, buttock said:

That one isn't on the list I have, and is much later than any other books in the collection. 

What is the latest date on the list you have?

I believe the book with the latest date on the list would be the Payette graded VG copy of Star Spangled 76 which had a cover date of January 1948.  (thumbsu

Looks like the 4 big Fox and DC runs were ones that had started back in 1939 or 1940.  According to the yearly breakout for the Allentown books, it looks like the majority of them were from 1939 through 1943, with the biggest concentration being in the early years.  The collection then petered out with only 7 odd copies scattered from 1944 through 1948 with all of these later issues in a very un-Allentown like lower graded condition.  Unlike most other collections, it would appear that for the Allentown books, it was almost like a case of the earlier the books, the nicer the condition.  hm  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

wwallentown.jpg

It's good to finally see this Allentown copy of WW 14 back in a properly graded slab after all this time.  :taptaptap:   (thumbsu

I still remember going through both this copy and the Allentown copy of WW 13 at Harley's table down in a Seattle Comic Con back around '96 or thereabouts.  Couldn't make up my mind between the 2 of them since they both looked just as nice and almost went for the WW 14 as I thought the colors were a bit stronger and the pages just a shade whiter and supple.  Looking back at the Master Allentown Collection List now, it looks like Payette had both copies graded out as NM copies.  When I passed on the WW 14 doh! and Harley then flipped it out to Fisher, it looks like the book was graded as a NM- copy in their 1997 catalogue.  (thumbsu

Not sure if it had incurred some damage in the interim or if CGC simply got it wrong since it was graded as only a CGC 8.0 VF copy back in 2005.  Especially since the WW 13 had been graded out as a CGC 9.6 NM+ copy.  Then again, this was way back in 2000 when CGC first opened their doors and they might still have been grading according to the old traditional standards back then, before they became more *ahem* shall we say "refined and developed" to their full potential.  lol  :p

15 hours ago, adamstrange said:
16 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and i have an awfully big one coming, but will need to wait awhile to get it posted.

You bought Cap 1 :whatthe:

:popcorn:

Thanks to this build-up, literally anything Billy posts short of the Cap 1 is now going to be a huge disappointment! lol

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, it’s older than cap 1. 

Well, that's certainly not of very much help to the prognosticators here, since the overwhelming majority of the Allentown Collection is older than Cap 1.  ¬¬

Now if I have to fathom a guess here, since you already own the Mystery Men 1 and the MM 3, WW's 7 & 8 appears to be locked up with their keys thrown away for now, how about the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 3 since it seems to be unaccounted for and still out there somewhere?  hm

On 2/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, Timely said:
On 2/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, Straw-Man said:

and i have an awfully big one coming, but will need to wait awhile to get it posted.

Can't wait to see your big one coming

Yes, we are all still waiting in anticipation of your big one to come.  lol

:popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/20/2020 at 3:36 PM, sagii said:
On 2/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, mlansdown said:

I have a Jumbo Comics #113 in 9.4 that I purchased from a collector who claims it is from the Allentown pedigree.  Not marked as such on the slab.  Is there an authoritative list of the Allentown books?  Is there any way to tell if this book is actually from the Allentown pedigree?  I love the book either way - just curious...

jumbo113.jpg

I would e-mail Stephen Fishler from Metto or James Payette of Rare Books with pics of the book. 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:14 PM, mlansdown said:

Thanks for the recommendation - I just sent an e-mail to Jim...

Just wondering if you ever got a response back from Payette with respect to you email enquiry on this copy of Jumbo 113?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, mlansdown said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Just wondering if you ever got a response back from Payette with respect to you email enquiry on this copy of Jumbo 113?  hm

Jim did get back to me and confirmed that my Jumbo Comics #113 is not part of the Allentown pedigree.  

Have never had any dealings with Payette to this point in time so far.

Good to know that he is not only a top notch grader as per these Allentown books, but also provides timely responses to any enquiries sent his way.  :applause:

:bump:

Decided to give a bump to this thread here since the Allentown Collection is probably my #1 favorite pedigree out there given its small size and high quality.  :cloud9:

Also because I was searching out some Allentown books and came across this article which some of you may not have seen yet:

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/images4book/pedi_allen_sm.pdf

Although it's a rather dated version from around 2007 with an interim draft copy of the Allentown chapter (including updated graphics) that was destined for the never to be published Pedigree Book  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:, I figure some of the comic book pedigree aficionados here might still find it of interest.  Especially with regards to the invaluable original Allentown Master List which included the initial grades assigned to each of the individual books by Payette.  This definitely confirms that Jim was a strict grader as an overwhelming majority of the grades which he assigned to the individual books were lower (and some by a rather substantial margin :whatthe: ) than what they eventually got from CGC.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

:bump:

Decided to give a bump to this old thread here since we finally got the long awaited answer to our question about the BIG one from back in February of this year:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, Straw-Man said:

On 2/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, adamstrange said:

You bought Cap 1 :whatthe:

On 2/21/2020 at 5:18 AM, Straw-Man said:

well, it’s older than cap 1. 

On 2/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, that's certainly not of very much help to the prognosticators here, since the overwhelming majority of the Allentown Collection is older than Cap 1.  ¬¬

Now if I have to fathom a guess here, since you already own the Mystery Men 1 and the MM 3, WW's 7 & 8 appears to be locked up with their keys thrown away for now, how about the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 3 since it seems to be unaccounted for and still out there somewhere?  hm

Although it was indeed not a Cap 1, it looks like I was bang on with respect to my guess at the Wonderworld 3 as per my post up above::whee:

On 9/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, Straw-Man said:

colors better in hand, i think.  new pic. 

E60A43FD-BEA9-4F16-A7B1-9B488B9C5A56.jpeg

And needless to say, an absolutely wonderful and beautiful addition to this Allentown thread that we have going here.  :applause:  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although it was indeed not a Cap 1, it looks like I was bang on with respect to my guess at the Wonderworld 3 as per my post up above::whee:

On 9/24/2020 at 7:38 AM, Straw-Man said:

colors better in hand, i think.  new pic. 

E60A43FD-BEA9-4F16-A7B1-9B488B9C5A56.jpeg

Wow! (worship)