• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Allentown thread...
4 4

139 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I was going through scans of books I used to own. 

Here's a scan of the Allentown Copy of Detective Comics #29 that I took back in 1999.

detective29Allentown.jpg

Everyone loves #31 of course, but I count #29 as my favorite cover. The Allentown #29 is beautiful -- is there another copy out there that tops it? Church, or ?

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I was going through scans of books I used to own. 

Here's a scan of the Allentown Copy of Detective Comics #29 that I took back in 1999.

So we all know this ended up with Eric ("not the actor") R. , but what is the story of why it isn't with the Dentist? Did he just not want to interrupt the Church run he has, or he didn't offer enough, or you didn't offer it? What's the story there?

Wow,  for such a small collection,  it's  surprising that the current whereabouts of most of the collections current statuses is unknown (or not disclosed). 

Any way of knowing how many are/were slabbed?

I know @MrBedrock @telerites @Straw-Man have shared copies ,  I consider myself fortunate enough to have one,  we know of copies from famed private collections like Verzyl and "The Dentist".

....... anyone else? 

5 hours ago, Timely said:

The book was owned by dealer Joe V. when I saw it in SD.  He sold it to the dentist, letting go of the MH copy.

I offered to trade the Mile High run of Sensation Comics to get the book.

I flew out to the east coast and traded the 65 Sensation Mile Highs I had for the AT Detective 29, the All Flash MH run, 4 Action Comcs MH's & a nice size check (and with that check I bought the Adventure Comics #42 & #79 MH's from Pat Kochanek).

The dentist was able to get back the Det 29 MH.

Around what time period was this?  hm

I guess this goes to show that the Dentist was also a rather active trader of books when he saw something that he really wanted for his collection, and not quite the hoarder some figure that he was.  (thumbsu

58 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Around what time period was this?  hm

I guess this goes to show that the Dentist was also a rather active trader of books when he saw something that he really wanted for his collection, and not quite the hoarder some figure that he was.  (thumbsu

20 hours ago, Timely said:
20 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Everyone loves #31 of course, but I count #29 as my favorite cover. The Allentown #29 is beautiful -- is there another copy out there that tops it? Church, or ?

No, the Church is lower grade.

19 hours ago, Timely said:
19 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

So we all know this ended up with Eric ("not the actor") R. , but what is the story of why it isn't with the Dentist? Did he just not want to interrupt the Church run he has, or he didn't offer enough, or you didn't offer it? What's the story there?

The book was owned by dealer Joe V. when I saw it in SD.  He sold it to the dentist, letting go of the MH copy.

I offered to trade the Mile High run of Sensation Comics to get the book.

I flew out to the east coast and traded the 65 Sensation Mile Highs I had for the AT Detective 29, the All Flash MH run, 4 Action Comcs MH's & a nice size check (and with that check I bought the Adventure Comics #42 & #79 MH's from Pat Kochanek).

The dentist was able to get back the Det 29 MH.

So the Dentist DID own the AT Tec 29, and gave up the MH Tec 29, but then gave up the AT Tec 29 and reacquired the MH Tec 29?  Even though the MH Tec 29 was not as good a copy?  Why? ???

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

So the Dentist DID own the AT Tec 29, and gave up the MH Tec 29, but then gave up the AT Tec 29 and reacquired the MH Tec 29?  Even though the MH Tec 29 was not as good a copy?  Why? ???

A chance to pick up 65 Sensation Comics from the MH collection was too good to pass up.  His collection was probably VERY thin on that title. Of all the GA DC titles Sensation Comics seem to be the rarest (probably because most boys didn't buy or keep them), especially in high grade.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, sagii said:

Wow,  for such a small collection,  it's  surprising that the current whereabouts of most of the collections current statuses is unknown (or not disclosed). 

Any way of knowing how many are/were slabbed?

I know @MrBedrock @telerites @Straw-Man have shared copies ,  I consider myself fortunate enough to have one,  we know of copies from famed private collections like Verzyl and "The Dentist".

....... anyone else? 

Allentown is one of just a few pedigree collections that I don’t have an example of. Small collection and are tightly held. Odds are pretty good that I will never have one.

Waiting for the Promise collection to crash so I can pick up an example or two. 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Allentown is one of just a few pedigree collections that I don’t have an example of. Small collection and are tightly held. Odds are pretty good that I will never have one.

Waiting for the Promise collection to crash so I can pick up an example or two. 

+1 on the Promise front