• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Question: Famous Funnies 1.

23 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. So I have recently acquired a Famous Funnies 1 and I am wanting to maybe restore the back cover and wanted some of your guys opinions since I am pretty clueless on the restore process.

First off, the front cover has clear restore done. You can see at the top, right and bottom of the comic is restored, amateurishly, but doesn't present bad at all in my opinion. The back cover didnt get that treatment so it appears that the back is missing a large portion from the top, left and bottom. The book is complete, and the pages are light cream and no brittleness. For a book from 1934 it appears to be in great shape.

Here are some questions:

1) The front cover is clearly amateurly done, would getting a pro to restore it help raise the grade? (Like, get them to remove the portion that is already done, and getting a pro to re-do it....) Or is the grade as is going to remain the same either way?

2) The back cover, if restored properly, would it raise the grade? If yes, how much could it raise it by?
3) Now the other way around, if I could a pro to REMOVE the front restoration, would that bring the book to a universal grade? If yes, would that be worth doing or?

Any help at all in this matter would be appreciated greatly!

s-l1600 (33).jpg

s-l1600 (34).jpg

s-l1600 (35).jpg

s-l1600 (36).jpg

Edited by Ryan Vandal
edit: added question 3

Wow.

You clearly need to seek out a qualified professional if you're thinking of making an attempt to restore this book properly. I'm thinking this will cost you a fair amount, but with the right person, it looks like the book could be substantially improved. 

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Wow.

You clearly need to seek out a qualified professional if you're thinking of making an attempt to restore this book properly. I'm thinking this will cost you a fair amount, but with the right person, it looks like the book could be substantially improved. 

That is great news to hear! Thank you for your advice/opinion! Happen to have any suggestions on who i can use to check this book out?

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Professional, and I mean top-of-the-line professional, restoration will surely increase the presentation and value of this comic. It could be costly, though, so it depends on your intentions for restoration.

I am not sure or aware of what is considered "top of the line" professional. Is CGC restoration considered top of the line?

Just now, Ryan Vandal said:

K thank you, have you used any other restore service? Or know of anyone that might be able to help out?

Not for comics. I'm not sure if it's 'allowed' to talk/advertise about competitors to CGC's sister companies, though. Perhaps someone can PM you about another comic restorer.

The difference between "professional" and "amateur" is usually whether or not someone's career is restoration, or someone tried to do it out of their own home. The materials they use makes a difference as well.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not for comics. I'm not sure if it's 'allowed' to talk/advertise about competitors to CGC's sister companies, though. Perhaps someone can PM you about another comic restorer.

The difference between "professional" and "amateur" is usually whether or not someone's career is restoration, or someone tried to do it out of their own home. The materials they use makes a difference as well.

KK thanks!

pretty much what everyone else has said.

But just some thoughts and questions... I am curious as that Colour touch is it on the tape around the edges? or was the edges created by the tape? I wonder if there is paper/book under that tape? but the back cover is trimmed but I dont think it was trimmed in a deceiving way.. so curious about that.. as to answer your question 3 I dont think you can get a blue label for it because of the trimming.. but you would need a experts opinion and maybe to talk to CGC as well.. 

2 hours ago, faster friends said:

Nice book for resto. Fix the front and leaf cast and fill the color on the back.

Think it would cost too much to pro leaf cast the edges of the front and back covers, as platinum age comics have low market value. I recommend getting the amateur front cover resto removed and try to go for Cgc conserved grade by having a conservator infill the cover edges but not add color matching of the black. Recommend u get a pro conservation $$ quote from @427Impaler

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This book is a good visual example of the difference between pro and am restoration. Colors here are very mismatched and not seamless by any stretch, one of the main characteristics of amateur resto.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:11 AM, Krismusic said:

I am curious as that Colour touch is it on the tape around the edges? or was the edges created by the tape? I wonder if there is paper/book under that tape? but the back cover is trimmed but I dont think it was trimmed in a deceiving way..

+1. Would say the previous owner of this book could not afford to have the back cover margins replaced and drawn /painted in-fill so just had the front cover margins 'pro' done. Susan Cicconi's rate would be too high for this much cover re-creation and in-painting by hand.