• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scooby Doo Gold Key Comic run
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Congrats on the Seminal run of an iconic character! Thank you for sharing it; I can distinctly remember buying #20 off the racks -- I don't think I have it anymore, and it certainly did not hold up as well as the one you found! Those are some sweet surviving grades of some books that (most copies of which) got read and read when they came out.

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

That 4 is stunning - are you looking to upgrade any of them or are you done?

Thanks, the #16 was my last one and I settled for the 6.0 after 10 years of looking with no better luck, so I’d love to upgrade that one especially and then the few I have less than 9.0 in the set.
I feel this is a set that couldn’t be rivaled in under a decade of work, but would love to make it even better any chance I can get!

17 hours ago, Brock said:

So... how many of them have Whitman variants?

:baiting:

That brings up a question I’ve wondered about:  when putting together a run of comics published by Western, does the run have to be all Gold Key or all Whitman imprints in order to “count” as a run or can it be a mix? Does the registers differentiate between the two?

To the topic at hand:  I love this Scobby Doo run!  I always liked the original cartoon because of the monsters, even though they all turned out to be corrupt land developers. 

I like the #10 because it’s got the werewolf that was always on the credits of the cartoon. But I really dig the #29, I might actually have to track down a copy of that. 

I totally understand the desire to upgrade and I get the OCD of wanting the grade numbers to be similar. But I really like how the books have varying grades. IDK, makes the run look more “organic“ to me, like you can tell someone put in a lot of work over a period of time to piece the collection together. 

Kind of inspires me to get more series about a Gold Key run of my own. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:40 PM, Number 6 said:

That brings up a question I’ve wondered about:  when putting together a run of comics published by Western, does the run have to be all Gold Key or all Whitman imprints in order to “count” as a run or can it be a mix? Does the registers differentiate between the two?

Yes for the registry either the western or gold key copy is valid. I’ve also never really noticed a price difference between the two but the westerns are more rare. 

On 2/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Number 6 said:

Kind of inspires me to get more series about a Gold Key run of my own. 

I've considered it but for me it comes down to too expensive and too hard to find in high grade. Besides, the real time to collect these was 25/30+ years ago when nobody cared about them. That train has left the station.