• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Bagged Superman 75
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I have a still-sealed black-bag Superman 75 (the death of Superman). I am hoping to get it signed by Dan Jurgens at Emerald City Comic Con this year and would like it sealed/graded, but...it's still in the bag, still sealed. Does anybody know if there's a process or procedure or other protocols for this kind of thing? Would they have to open it to get it signed and certified? Can I have Dan sign the sealed bag and have it graded/sealed like that?

Hoping to get this answered so I know what to do next month at the con... 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Deckyrd said:

So I can't get it graded in the bag, but removing it from the bag guarantees a lower grade... Basically, I'm screwed no matter what?

you can put it inside one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EK6OXFM/?coliid=I1E159XXV72HRW&colid=2U47SFKOHV2PQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by Ladic

I keep mine bagged just for nostalgia because that's the only comic I ever waited in line for. Also needing to put my name on a list before it was even released.

CGC unbags everything to grade. And with that issue I read somewhere that the bag is poor quality and it actually damages the comic. But I never saw examples.

15 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

CGC unbags everything to grade. And with that issue I read somewhere that the bag is poor quality and it actually damages the comic. But I never saw examples.

Over half the copies sent to CGC (almost 700 copies hand-picked by the submitters) have been 9.4 or lower, even though there's no profit in those grades.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/4846

I don't think you're screwed YET, because you haven't really invested the money yet (unless you spent a bunch for your black bag copy).  But it does seem like the option you were hoping for isn't really on the table of keeping it in the bag.  However, there IS a small chance that your copy can be pressed into a 9.8 if you want to risk and invest in that.  There are plenty of people who end up getting 9.8's.

If you were hoping to profit, there's not an obvious high probability pathway for that.  But if you just want something cool to display because you're SUCH a SUPERMAN FAN and the Death storyline MEANS SO MUCH TO YOU, just get the bag signed, and mount/frame it anyway you like.  And then you can go buy a CGC SS copy of any Superman comic you like in whatever grade you like.

4 hours ago, revat said:

I don't think you're screwed YET, because you haven't really invested the money yet (unless you spent a bunch for your black bag copy).  But it does seem like the option you were hoping for isn't really on the table of keeping it in the bag.  However, there IS a small chance that your copy can be pressed into a 9.8 if you want to risk and invest in that.  There are plenty of people who end up getting 9.8's.

If you were hoping to profit, there's not an obvious high probability pathway for that.  But if you just want something cool to display because you're SUCH a SUPERMAN FAN and the Death storyline MEANS SO MUCH TO YOU, just get the bag signed, and mount/frame it anyway you like.  And then you can go buy a CGC SS copy of any Superman comic you like in whatever grade you like.

Definitely this right here...

Unless your particular book has some sort of sentimental value to you, that you want Dan Jurgens signature on it, I would just bide my time and get a Jurgens signed copy on eBay or somewhere else.  An example is below.  They come up quite often.  Then you can save some time at the Con AND be guaranteed a 9.8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-75-Bagged-DC-CGC-SS-9-8-Signed-by-Brett-Breeding-Dan-Jurgens/254497953372?hash=item3b4142965c:g:GfYAAOSwt69eMusr

You could still get your copy signed but just don't grade it if, as I said above, it has some kind of sentimental value.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, valiantman said:

Over half the copies sent to CGC (almost 700 copies hand-picked by the submitters) have been 9.4 or lower, even though there's no profit in those grades.

Thanks. I still remember people going crazy about the money they thought they would make from that comic. It was worse than Spawn #1. I don't think I made it though 10 issues of Spawn. But I read I think every Superman comic with all the different Supermen up to when the real one came back. I still have the white bagged issue unopened as well just for nostalgia.

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:
On 2/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, valiantman said:

Thanks. I still remember people going crazy about the money they thought they would make from that comic. It was worse than Spawn #1. I don't think I made it though 10 issues of Spawn. But I read I think every Superman comic with all the different Supermen up to when the real one came back. I still have the white bagged issue unopened as well just for nostalgia.

I was the same at the time.  I remember reading Action #689 and realizing Superman returned (and he's on the cover watching the monitors), but everyone got all excited about Superman: Man of Steel #25 (which came after Action #690). lol

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

I was the same at the time.  I remember reading Action #689 and realizing Superman returned (and he's on the cover watching the monitors), but everyone got all excited about Superman: Man of Steel #25 (which came after Action #690). lol

I need to find a modern comic like that to follow for a full run. I guess Superman also worked then because I never really read Superman. I was more a fan of the movies and Super Friends cartoon. And it was enough trying to actually keep up in full with Spider-Man, G.I. Joe, and a few others. So it was all new with Superman and seeing how the story would unfold.

Also, I went to a good mixed comic shop bookstore to get those issues. Sadly it isn't around anymore I think.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Curious, is it possible to just have the signature verified?  So like a CGC Signature Series case with grade of NG?  Thus allowing the book to remain in the black bag.

At this point, I don't understand the need for the grade if they want the bag signed. As I see it these are the options.

1. Just get the sealed black bag signed and put it in an E Gerber mylar and fullback. That's how I store the majority of my comics and the black bagged Superman.

2. Open the bag and get the comic signed and graded. And get the bag signed as well if they want. Then keep the black bag in a separate bag and board or mylar and fullback.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:03 PM, GeneticNinja said:
On 3/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, ExNihilo said:

Curious, is it possible to just have the signature verified?  So like a CGC Signature Series case with grade of NG?  Thus allowing the book to remain in the black bag.

At this point, I don't understand the need for the grade if they want the bag signed. As I see it these are the options.

1. Just get the sealed black bag signed and put it in an E Gerber mylar and fullback. That's how I store the majority of my comics and the black bagged Superman.

2. Open the bag and get the comic signed and graded. And get the bag signed as well if they want. Then keep the black bag in a separate bag and board or mylar and fullback.

I'm under the assumption that they want the unopened bag signed and authenticated.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:09 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm under the assumption that they want the unopened bag signed and authenticated.

This is probably a closed topic as the person who started it only has two posts and hasn't been back. But to me, if they are going to get the comic signed in person, what's the point in having it authenticated by CGC unless they might sell it in the future? I don't know, I only have a few signed comics and I didn't really go after them. It was just an option at the time. Like for example a signed and sketched Alex Ross Wonder Woman treasury. It might be numbered as well and have a certificate. But I don't need CGC authentication.

I feel the same about the Superman unless CGC will slab the comic signed if they witness it and not put a grade on it since it is in a bag. Perhaps they will, I don't know.

Edited by GeneticNinja

51 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

This is probably a closed topic as the person who started it only has two posts and hasn't been back. But to me, if they are going to get the comic signed in person, what's the point in having it authenticated by CGC unless they might sell it in the future? I don't know, I only have a few signed comics and I didn't really go after them. It was just an option at the time. Like for example a signed and sketched Alex Ross Wonder Woman treasury. It might be numbered as well and have a certificate. But I don't need CGC authentication.

I feel the same about the Superman unless CGC will slab the comic signed if they witness it and not put a grade on it since it is in a bag. Perhaps they will, I don't know.

Personally, I like to have them CGC authenticated for future resale purposes as you mentioned.  That's the only reason.  Not that I intend to sell my books, but there's a high likelihood that my collection is going to get sold off at some point, even if that "some point" is after I die.  But yeah, I haven't a clue what OP's intentions are and at this point, it appears as if this thread is just going to disappear to the wayside at some point as a result.

To be honest, I never got any notifications about any responses to this thread since my last post, so I didn't even know people were giving me options and answers here.  :P 

I know it's been a couple of months, but just for clarification:

• I'm a HUGE Superman fan
  • I haven't spent a ton of money on the black-bagged issue
  • I don't intend to sell, but I do like to have the protection and safety of a slabbed comic for my more high-profile issues and signatures

Anyway, it looks like there's simply no way to get it signed AND keep it sealed AND get it graded/slabbed. I'm still holding onto some of my childhood feelings on keeping the issue sealed and bagged, so if I get the opportunity again in the future to get either Jurgens' or Breeding's signature, I'll just buy another sealed copy of it and keep that in storage so I can open the other one and get it signed.

Thanks all!