• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading

11 posts in this topic

HA has this listing;  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/fight-against-crime-12-story-comics-1953-cgc-vg-fn-50-slightly-brittle-pages/a/122008-17161.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

"Slightly brittle pages", and yet it's a CGC 5.O VG/FN.

Overstreet grading; 1.0 FAIR (FR): Paper is (no worse than) brown and may show brittleness around the edges but not in the central portion of the pages. 

So what should the book really grade at? 

23 hours ago, fifties said:

HA has this listing;  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/fight-against-crime-12-story-comics-1953-cgc-vg-fn-50-slightly-brittle-pages/a/122008-17161.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

"Slightly brittle pages", and yet it's a CGC 5.O VG/FN.

Overstreet grading; 1.0 FAIR (FR): Paper is (no worse than) brown and may show brittleness around the edges but not in the central portion of the pages. 

So what should the book really grade at? 

NOBODY wants to answer?  No opinions?  I simply can't see CGC grading it the way they did, unless cover condition supersedes the overall condition of the book.

2 hours ago, fifties said:

NOBODY wants to answer?  No opinions?  I simply can't see CGC grading it the way they did, unless cover condition supersedes the overall condition of the book.

"The highest grade achievable with a slightly brittle page designation is 6.5."

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/grading-scale/

53 minutes ago, Northwest said:

"The highest grade achievable with a slightly brittle page designation is 6.5."

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/grading-scale/

This one got a 7.0... so they must have lowered it at some point.  Could swear I’ve seen 4.0 brittles too but now their criteria says max is 3.5.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/607251

Edited by szav

So there are apparently two grading standards.  I would've thought that CGC would conform to Overstreet, but I guess not.  Maybe they give more weight to the condition of the cover, since obviously the book cannot be opened when in a slab.

Slightly brittle is usually a tiny split to a few interior page wraps or a tiny corner off some pages -- to just give those a blanket 1.0 grade would really not be fair (Overstreet standards or not).  The gap between slightly brittle and BRITTLE can be huge -- some brittle books aren't 'that' bad.. while others are crumbling apart with missing pieces floating around inside the slab.  A scale of brittleness (or note on the label of what exactly is brittle) would be a helpful addition some day!  

I use a book holder to read comics with.  When I've finished turning all the pages, and if they leave a little pile of remnants underneath, or when I go to turn the page and it starts to split or come apart where I'm touching it, that book is brittle.  Yes, a more exacting brittle scale would certainly be helpful.  Do we know if the CGC graders go through some or all of the interior pages when determining a grade?

5 hours ago, fifties said:

I use a book holder to read comics with.  When I've finished turning all the pages, and if they leave a little pile of remnants underneath, or when I go to turn the page and it starts to split or come apart where I'm touching it, that book is brittle.  Yes, a more exacting brittle scale would certainly be helpful.  Do we know if the CGC graders go through some or all of the interior pages when determining a grade?

I believe 3 graders grade every book and the average grade of the 3 is what the final grade is. And each grader goes through the entire book.

19 hours ago, fifties said:

So there are apparently two grading standards.  I would've thought that CGC would conform to Overstreet, but I guess not.  Maybe they give more weight to the condition of the cover, since obviously the book cannot be opened when in a slab.

There are a lot of differences between Overstreet and CGC.  Some stuff Overstreet is more strict, some CGC.

I'm old school and would go with Overstreet, but that's just me.

4 hours ago, D84 said:

There are a lot of differences between Overstreet and CGC.  Some stuff Overstreet is more strict, some CGC.

I'm old school and would go with Overstreet, but that's just me.

Yes, I agree with that.  Overstreet has always been the standard AFAIAC, and I just can't see a book with brittle pages as grading above Fair, at best.   However, at least CGC does note brittleness, so an observer can make their own estimate of what they feel the true grade is, based on Overstreet guidelines.