• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's Dan DiDio Out as Co-Publisher
1 1

105 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SpeakUpSonny said:

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. I wouldn't buy it for a dollar.

I don’t think it could be sold for a dollar. Newsprint really isn’t a whole lot cheaper. I think a square bound magazine half new stuff half reprints and cutting room floor stuff quarterly for maybe ten bucks might work

Then there was this from bleeding cool, that Jim Lee is now in charge at DC lol

I dont do speculation lol

But its everywhere

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/23/jim-lee-awakens-from-4-day-nap-to-learn-hes-suddenly-in-charge-of-dc-comics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

6 hours ago, SpeakUpSonny said:
8 hours ago, davidpg said:

Imagine a golden aged sized, newsprint anthology DC book with 3 different character stories.  22 pages character and the rest ads.  Sold on newsstands everywhere for $1, maybe $2 per copy.  How much fun would that be?  And could they make up the money with volume at that point?

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. I wouldn't buy it for a dollar.

Don't worry, no retailer or distributor would touch such a thing anyway, even if it was somehow viable for the publisher.

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

An interesting related question: what would happen to Diamond?

They would disappear after losing most of their customers.

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

And could independents seize the opportunity to break the distribution stranglehold and find a viable means of widespread distribution?

How? Independent publishers can already distribute however they want. Unless they enter into an agreement with Diamond, what's stopping them? But then why do they use Diamond? hm

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

They would disappear after losing most of their customers.

How? Independent publishers can already distribute however they want. Unless they enter into an agreement with Diamond, what's stopping them? But then why do they use Diamond? hm

I don't know. I'm just wondering if the loss of DC and Marvel would finish Diamond, and if it did, if something would fill the void for everything else.

I just can't reconcile it in my head that the Marvel and DC universes may ultimately be combined. In my opinion I don't forsee Dark Horse being big enough to take on the DC characters. It would have to be Marvel and that's just nuts to me, and I'm a johnny-come-lately as of the copper age! I can imagine some of the old timers on here and how those worlds collide.

If the source is accurate and corporate was worried about the 5G reboot why would they ever consider letting someone else tell stories? I don't see licensing the characters if the story is accurate, I think digital distribution is more likely and print eliminated.

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

I just can't reconcile it in my head that the Marvel and DC universes may ultimately be combined. In my opinion I don't forsee Dark Horse being big enough to take on the DC characters. It would have to be Marvel and that's just nuts to me, and I'm a johnny-come-lately as of the copper age! I can imagine some of the old timers on here and how those worlds collide.

Is there an intriguing team up that you would like to see?  I mentioned earlier that a JLA & Avengers would be a big time movie but i don't think the two teams would mesh very well at all.  Wonder Woman & The X-Men - sounds like a dud to me?  Batman & Wolverine - sounds intriguing but I just can't even envision a cool story line that would pop out.  

DC was nearly sold to Marvel in the 80's, so it's not unprecedented. But things are different now, and DC and Marvel are part of mega corporations like Warner Bros and Disney, so I just don't see that happening again. Plus, Marvel is allegedly unprofitable in their publishing as well. Can't see them wanting to take on another albatross around their neck.

There is money to be made with these characters in paper comics. But I think it takes a whole new paradigm to make it successful. But if DC folds entirely, that may be the final nail in the coffin for many comic shops and I'd imagine Diamond would struggle as well. Could be the beginning of the end. So, at the end of the day, I just don't see things going down that way. WB may shutter the DC offices, they may even license the characters out, but someone somewhere is going to be making Batman and Superman comics as long as comics are made.

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Pretty sure they tried it at Walmart recently.

I was at Walmart last week and they still have these. 

The problem I see is these are being stocked with the with sports and gaming cards, which as at the cash register end of a single check-out lane. If you want buy one you have to pick that lane to check out and just grab it as you check out, no time to browse as there’s people behind you. 

So instead of treating these as reading material and stocking it with in the magazine/book section, Walmart is treating these like a “valuable” collectible. That’s fine for the 30/40 year-old comic collector, but doesn’t seem a very good way to expose a younger generation to comics. 

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I was at Walmart last week and they still have these. 

The problem I see is these are being stocked with the with sports and gaming cards, which as at the cash register end of a single check-out lane. If you want buy one you have to pick that lane to check out and just grab it as you check out, no time to browse as there’s people behind you. 

So instead of treating these as reading material and stocking it with in the magazine/book section, Walmart is treating these like a “valuable” collectible. That’s fine for the 30/40 year-old comic collector, but doesn’t seem a very good way to expose a younger generation to comics. 

And Target (who blows away Wal-Mart imho) had their version of the Batman Giant, by toys, on an end cap, with other DC related stuff.    Mmmmmmmmmarketing! 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:31 PM, Lurker89 said:

Disagree with you on "Lower tier characters that no one cares about"  because "that's like your opinion, bro", and one I strongly disagree with... A character of note does not become one overnight. When a writer wants to do one of those characters it's usually a passion project and leads into actual poignant art.

Opinion, yes, but numbers don't lie.    I mean Jessica Jones Blindspot #1, clocked in at #128  last month.  Ruins of Ravencroft Dracula, #1,  came in at #117.   Who exactly was asking for these titles to be produced?  Obviously not the consumer. 

On 2/24/2020 at 4:37 PM, SpeakUpSonny said:

No he was not :sick:

Spoiler alert🚨

Thanos keeping World Breaker Hulk on a leash and feeding him superheroes.+

Thanos smashing Galactus and taking his herald.+

Norrin Radd traveling the cosmos decimating evil until he is worthy of Mjolnir and then harnessing the annihilation wave in order to overpower Thanos.+

Radd then litery smashing Cosmic Ghost Riders head in two seconds. +

Then Thanos smashing the Surfers skull against Mjolnir followed by Thanos on Thanos Violence and Thanos rejection of Lady Death.+++

Did you actually read the run or just posting four word opinions on content you haven't finished ... genuinely curious as to your issue with the run, or if it is just a general dislike for Thanos and/or Cates.

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Opinion, yes, but numbers don't lie.    I mean Jessica Jones Blindspot #1, clocked in at #128  last month.  Ruins of Ravencroft Dracula, #1,  came in at #117.   Who exactly was asking for these titles to be produced?  Obviously not the consumer. 

No one asked for those titles. I'm not the strawman asking for Jessica Jones:nyah:

Equating what I was saying to advocating for Jessica Jones is disingenuous as it would be more in line with what I said earlier in my reply 

"Agree, They 100% do this to themselves and have for years... Marvel and DC Both. The money grab and unsustainable growth they want and pursue with things like 100 X-titles on top of the 1000 other drek titles"

I believe I would categorize Jessica Jones in the quote "1000 other drek titles"

What I'm advocating for is a character like Swamp Thing having a writer like Alan Moore take them from obscurity and revolutionizing them.

If we look at the comic industry historically we see publishers putting safer writers on their mainstream A titles (leading to un-exhilerating story arcs)  while some of the B, C level titles are helmed by riskier writers who see this medium as an art form, as I do.  (not all.. especially not Jessica Jones(:)

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

No one asked for those titles. I'm not the strawman asking for Jessica Jones:nyah:

Equating what I was saying to advocating for Jessica Jones is disingenuous as it would be more in line with what I said earlier in my reply 

It is a waste of money, time and resources.  Point is:  If Marvel and DC would stick to about 10-15 titles per month, they could keep their better writers and artists on those, make 2 or 3 of them 12 issue mini series, alternating the lower tier heroes with those titles and cut the fat. 

Point-  I love Captain America.  Alex Ross is doing the current cover = good.   Inside art = freckking awful.  My 7 year old could do better.  Lose the crappy Jessica Jones, and Ruins of Ravencroft titles, free up that $$ and give it to Ross, or anybody else who can draw some internal pages.  This is economics, not rocket science.