• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's Dan DiDio Out as Co-Publisher
1 1

105 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Is there an intriguing team up that you would like to see?  I mentioned earlier that a JLA & Avengers would be a big time movie but i don't think the two teams would mesh very well at all.  Wonder Woman & The X-Men - sounds like a dud to me?  Batman & Wolverine - sounds intriguing but I just can't even envision a cool story line that would pop out.  

That's a good question. JLA & Avengers would be too busy to me. Marvel has already broadened these films/teamups out to tertiary characters and having JLA join the mix just seems too much to me. 

Batman & Spiderman would be interesting, as would Superman / Spiderman.

Regardless of the team-ups, there would need to be new introductions of villains and some deaths to make it interesting.

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

It is a waste of money, time and resources.  Point is:  If Marvel and DC would stick to about 10-15 titles per month, they could keep their better writers and artists on those, make 2 or 3 of them 12 issue mini series, alternating the lower tier heroes with those titles and cut the fat. 

Point-  I love Captain America.  Alex Ross is doing the current cover = good.   Inside art = freckking awful.  My 7 year old could do better.  Lose the crappy Jessica Jones, and Ruins of Ravencroft titles, free up that $$ and give it to Ross, or anybody else who can draw some internal pages.  This is economics, not rocket science. 

Long story short, we are in agreement. I would like the fat trimmed and nonsense writing on nonsense characters to go away. It's a waste of time and money, it is a failed business model and we've seen it happen before.

What I don't want is a sanitized set of characters with safe writers boring me to death. On which, I'm sure we're in agreement.

If I wanted to be anesthetized I'd drive my car into a telephone pole at 30 mph.

The ten issues of new Spidey I read were awful.... Safe boring and ridiculous.... I mean Parker is roommates with Boomerang:sick:

And to your point on Ross... 100% agree, why have a great Ross cover and fill the book with someone else's scribbling because it's cheap. Takes away from the entire experience and medium.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Long story short, we are in agreement. I would like the fat trimmed and nonsense writing on nonsense characters to go away. It's a waste of time and money, it is a failed business model and we've seen it happen before.

It's normal for major companies to go under and for the strong to survive.

Maybe the market is just too saturated with product and not enough readers over all.

Edited by VintageComics

I’m not sure I’d like the Marvel Studios film formula to be applied directly to licensed or purchased DC properties, as that level of sameness across the board might then start to really accelerate audience fatigue, in addition to the already poor comic book sales. Dual saturation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I’m not sure that Warner would actually sell the characters and rights.  I would guess it would be more likely (1% rather than .001%) that they would license the comic production out while keeping the Movie, TV, and merchandising rights.  That said I’m not sure any company is going to be interested in publishing rights to DC characters if DC themselves can’t make money at it.