• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's Dan DiDio Out as Co-Publisher
1 1

105 posts in this topic

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dcs-dan-didio-as-publisher-1280488?fbclid=IwAR3ug6y05VvWRnefkpjOESpelRz6mW1GpyK59TrsGqBKwHTBdRAJWHQKVdY

Dan DiDio is no longer with DC, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

DiDio had served as publisher of DC alongside Jim Lee since 2010, following a six-year stint as VP executive editor, and, prior to that, VP editorial.

As publisher, DiDio was one of the main figures behind DC’s 2011 line-wide relaunch “The New 52,” which saw the company provide a contemporary make-over to its entire superhero back catalog. It was initially a sales success, but both sales and buzz faded to the point where 2016’s subsequent line-wide relaunch, under the banner “DC Universe Rebirth,” restored many elements dropped in the reboot.

DiDio’s departure comes ahead of an announced further relaunch of the DC comic book universe that would restore even more elements removed as part of the 2011 reboot, as was teased at New York Comic Con last year. While that project has not been officially announced, certain stories that reportedly tie in have been, including DC’s Free Comic Book Day release Generation Zero: Gods Among Us. It’s unclear at this point if plans for this relaunch will be delayed or cancelled in the wake of this news.

Throughout his tenure at DC, DiDio has worked as a writer on multiple properties, including The Phantom Stranger, The Outsiders and Sideways. At time of writing, his Metal Men mini-series with artist Shane Davis is midway through a projected 12-issue run.

And the sky is falling!

https://cosmicbook.news/att-closing-dc-comics-5g-ethan-van-sciver?amp

Ethan Van Sciver said that sources at DC filled him in that if the "5G" event fails that AT&T will close the company.

"Understand. It doesn't mean the characters are going to go anywhere. Batman, of course, is a prized possession of AT&T now. AT&T is Batman, and they are going to keep putting out movies and product and toys and all that stuff," Van Sciver said. "Comic books are dead and they are going to close up the publishing house soon. I'll tell you that a professional who I spoke to recently said, 'Yeah, I was talking to one of the higher-ups at DC Comics who said that if 5G doesn't work out, that's it, AT&T is closing the publishing arm.' So this is ball game."

5 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Wow! I wonder if DC were to close, would Disney follow suit or take over the market?

Hard to believe that all those jobs would be laid waste.... profit share or not, you'd think it pays for itself in advertising, if it only broke even.....

It is only a matter of time before all paper media is dead. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but some of them, sure. I can see regular magazines, comic books, and even newspapers disappearing in our lives. Bound books, I give 150 years, at least for fiction and such.

-slym

Take this with a grain of salt.   Danny Elfman gave an interview where he said that this was the final season of the Simpsons and then a week later it was confirmed that is not the case. 

If print media DID go away though, I could easily see ATT switching to an all digital format so comic books would still be released but only that format.  Such a move would significantly reduce costs.  I am sure there would be a further drop off of readership or subscribers as purists want a book to hold in their hand.  However the drop off would be insignificant to the money saved and the comics would still be considered digital content.  In this day of dedicated media channels, every company wants access to as much content as possible in the cheapest manner possible. 

Remember that it is a lot more cost effective for someone like Disney to stream Toy Story rather than place an order to create Blu Ray after Blu Ray for "Possible" consumption in the market. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Take this with a grain of salt.   Danny Elfman gave an interview where he said that this was the final season of the Simpsons and then a week later it was confirmed that is not the case. 

If print media DID go away though, I could easily see ATT switching to an all digital format so comic books would still be released but only that format.  Such a move would significantly reduce costs.  I am sure there would be a further drop off of readership or subscribers as purists want a book to hold in their hand.  However the drop off would be insignificant to the money saved and the comics would still be considered digital content.  In this day of dedicated media channels, every company wants access to as much content as possible in the cheapest manner possible. 

Remember that it is a lot more cost effective for someone like Disney to stream Toy Story rather than place an order to create Blu Ray after Blu Ray for "Possible" consumption in the market. 

Agreed. I do think a shift to all digital would come before shutting DC down completely.

However, What does that do to all the LCS & as you said, the purists would not be happy to have a digital copy only.

But I think digital is the future, streaming is taking over the way we watch TV.

It will be interesting to see what happens...

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I think comic books publishers, continue to put themselves in these corners, by publishing too many titles, and not giving us enough quality.  It's always quantity vs. quality with them.  I would rather see 3-5 weekly books each put out by Marvel and DC, with great writers and top artists, rather than 8-12 titles put out each week with sub par writers, and awful artists.  

No need for multiple X-books, too many Batman family spin offs, stop the reboots, and please stop putting out titles of lower tier characters who nobody really cares about. 

This. Most of the new books out right now are Drek.

They should trim the lines down , get the best talent & characters, put out quality books! 

9 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Agreed. I do think a shift to all digital would come before shutting DC down completely.

However, What does that do to all the LCS & as you said, the purists would not be happy to have a digital copy only.

But I think digital is the future, streaming is taking over the way we watch TV.

It will be interesting to see what happens...

This is not to be rude to you.  I am putting my voice in the eyes of the DC executive.

Who cares? 

DC execs probably look at the the LCS is no longer essential to the distribution of their product in relation to the costs incurred for it to get there. 

I could EASILY see Disney doing this and combining Marvel Unlimited as an add on to their streaming network of Disney+ hits a certain number of subscribers. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

This is not to be rude to you.  I am putting my voice in the eyes of the DC executive.

Who cares? 

DC execs probably look at the the LCS is no longer essential to the distribution of their product in relation to the costs incurred for it to get there. 

I could EASILY see Disney doing this and combining Marvel Unlimited as an add on to their streaming network of Disney+ hits a certain number of subscribers. 

I understand what you are saying.I can completely see both companies shutting down in the near future  or going all digital. 

DC & Marvel probably do not care about the LCS.or the hard copy long term collector either.

52 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Who cares? 

My answer, they better care, their movies and cartoons will no longer be viable entertainment in a lot of ways without comics....... 

With out day to day bombardment of media in today's age, the streaming will suffer, and someone else will take over. All of this is imo

Hey were cancelling a major edition of Batman product but HEY, we still have this streaming video service that we just launched.....we're still viable :sumo: 

imo that won't fly....

kind of like batman with out a cape!

OR, JUST OR, I COULD BE FULL OF MALARKY!

giphy.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My answer, they better care, their movies and cartoons will no longer be viable entertainment in a lot of ways without comics....... 

With out day to day bombardment of media in today's age, the streaming will suffer, and someone else will take over. All of this is imo

The movie tickets already outsell their top selling comics 20-fold. The staggering majority of Joker & Harley fans have never even seen a comic book in real life. Many lifelong TMNT fans don’t even know there ever was a comic

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

The movie tickets already outsell their top selling comics 20-fold. The staggering majority of Joker & Harley fans have never even seen a comic book in real life. Many lifelong TMNT fans don’t even know there ever was a comic

Yes ending comic distribution may not be that big a deal, as what I'm saying, but it couldn't help.

I've never seen Batman begins or any heath ledger joker movie. I dislike the way the new turtles look (haven't seen a tmnt movie since the on after secret of the ooze)

But I'm also 38 and may not be their target audience anymore lol

Streaming only has no collecability  imo

The only reason I came back after turning 18 is comics.

Yes, cartoons and streaming won't suffer too much, but when their old enough, they've lost all interest until they have kids......