• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Kyle Hotz Batman and the Spectre
1 1

10 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

This is the complete book of Detective 1006 (on a bit of an complete book binge).  An amazing story by Kyle Hotz.  Working from a bare bones plot, Kyle plotted and laid out all of the artwork and created a two part story that reminded me of the good old days of the The link:  Brave and the Bold.  This time it's in Detective and it's Batman teamed with an angry and vengeful Spectre.  I've posted the first part of the two part story.

Hotz's art is new to me, but I'm predicting he's got bigger things in his future.  He's a little Jack Davis, a little Wrightson, and maybe even a little Bolland in the mix too.  In any case, I think the art is magnificent. As most of you know, I tend to skew a bit older in my taste, but I still read new books.  I saw this story and immediately reached out to see if the entire story is available.  I know.  I could have tried for a great page, but honestly, every page is great.

Take a look and see if you agree with me.  The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=24356

As always, feel free to take a look around and see if there is anything else interesting to you.

Ron Sonenthal  

Detective_1006_10_11.jpg

I fell a little bit in love with this image....I gotta say. 

I reached to him when that issue came out, and [edit] he said doing Batman was the reason he had gotten into comics in the first place [edit] and he didn't want to consider selling. The excitement was just too much and separating from the work too soon was not in the cards. Looks like I should have reached out a little later, as it seems he changed his mind! They are all tremendous. Many kudos on keeping the issue together...every page is wonderful.

Bob

Edited by Sideshow Bob

Kyle has been around for years. I worked with him on a Doctor Strange annual and on several issues of Ghost Rider 2099 in the early/mid nineties. He is a nice guy and I have always loved his work. Here is an unpublished Doctor Strange spotlight we worked on together. The book was canceled before this made it out the door. 

DSspotlight_1.jpg

DSspotlight_2.jpg

It’s not Kyle’s first major work. He drew Carnage Mind Bomb, Carnage It’s A Wonderful Life, Incredible Hulk, Venom and others for Marvel way back in the 1990s. He drew Rune for the Ultraverse as published by Malibu/Marvel.

He also drew Web of Venom: Carnage Born and Venom before the Detective issues.
Here are two of those covers, which I bought when he first posted them:

69BFD19E-E6B1-4927-9B36-A226D5BEFF0D.jpeg

BBF4F30D-9218-43BA-9C14-AC51F834E4D1.jpeg

Congrats - that art is beautiful!

Kyle has been around for a while but was pretty inactive for a spell until somewhat recently when the floodgates of opportunity opened again for him. I love his work and he is a really nice guy who does an annual show locally to me. I bought a page from his fill in issues on Immortal Hulk and have a number of commissions from him as well. 

RON!!!!

I've been telling people for the past 20 years that KYLE HOTZ is one of the most under rated and under-appreciated artists in our ENTIRE HOBBY!!!!! 

How he doesnt have steady work in our hobby on a great horror book or "ANY" title is beyond me...

He draws very similar to KELLEY JONES and i may be wrong but i think they used to share a studio, and if not, they did work closely together on many projects.... but i love kyle Hotz's art and if only he had gotten the "WALKING DEAD" art  gig way back when...WOW would everyone really know him a lot better today!!!!

Edited by romitaman

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

RON!!!!

i've been telling people for the past 20 years that KYLE HOTZ is one of the most under rated and under-appreciated artists in our ENTIRE HOBBY!!!!! 

How he doesnt have a steady work in our hobby on a great horror book or "ANY" title is beyond me...

He draws very similar to KELLEY JONES and i may be wrong but i think they used to share a studio, and if not, they did work closely together on many projects.... but i love kyle Hotz's art and if only he had gotten the "WALKING DEAD" art  gig way back when...WOW would everyone really know him a lot better today!!!!

Mike, you are 100% correct about Kyle. I've been telling people for years that he was vastly underrated, especially with a style resembling Kelley Jones with a lot of Wrightson thrown in for good measure.