• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM black cat mystery 50

10 posts in this topic

I seriously believe low grade PCH deserve their own grading scale based upon how well the wear, degradation and defects enhance the book’s imagery and overall thematic aesthetic.
According to my LGPCH grading scale, without examining in hand, I’d estimate this book at about 7.0 - 8.0 . Bear in mind however that grading low grade pch is more an art than science.  A skilled comic distressor could easily raise this book an entire grade IMHO. For instance this book would definitely benefit by distressing the exposed paper at the right edge and brc. The sticker could be scraped and pried up around the edges to emulate the subject’s peeling flesh. Also a strong acidic odor is considered desirable, but look closely for drip marks as evidence for amateur “odor touch”. Good Luck!  👍  

Well the results are in, it was not any of the guessed grades. I have a black cat 50 .5 restored. I have already sent it away for restoration removal and maybe conservation work. If conservation can help me obtain a 1.5-1.8 I will go that route. The restoration is small amount of glue on the spine and then it says sticker on cover. F9903F74-0A26-48C3-90F5-0F01367CEC6D.thumb.jpeg.b5bd0ebb2546aada596460dc50c14a45.jpeg

Yeah, I thought 1.0 for sure. I'm surprised.

With those cover chunks and big tears, not sure if 1.5/1.8 range is possible, conserved or otherwise? It would be great to get that sticker off though if that's something they can safely do.