• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donnelly Brothers / CoolLines Art FAQ
6 6

76 posts in this topic

I'm going to write a FAQ on the Donnelly's. Topics will include:

1. Their business model
  2. Their "unused" covers
  3. Their lack of pricing / changing of prices
  4. Their general altering of art, e.g., this Superman piece by Curt Swan
  5. Deceptive Advertising

I will will use threads from this board for reference - I've built a list.

What other topics should be included?

The threads I've found so far are:

What sources have I missed?

Edited by alxjhnsn

Just now, alxjhnsn said:

@grapeape, this is no laughing matter. :)

Okay, it is a laugh or cry matter, but I'm still going to write it.

Ha ha!! I’m with you! You seriously are the man for the job. I love it. You are going to get a lot of material here and we’ll all learn a lot.

There are times where I thought maybe I’ve been to hard on these guys but no!!

2 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Frankly, I like Rich and I've had no trouble with the guys. Of course, I've never bought anything from them either though I've talked to them off and on.

Well that’s the funny thing. In person I’ve had the same pleasant experience. I remember in the nineties they priced many of their items or could readily tell you a price. The web seems to have changed their model. Now we have:

Inquire.

Different price quotes on the same piece depending on who contacts them.

The arts and crafts work on the art.

let me gather my thoughts.

Just what we need Alex thanks.

31 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Inquire.

Different price quotes on the same piece depending on who contacts them.

The arts and crafts work on the art.

let me gather my thoughts.

Just what we need Alex thanks.

Yeah, I have reflections on the brothers, but,  it is not all bad.  My sense is they got in early, or were gifted a bunch of art, got burned, and decided to refresh their selling model

which has held to this day.

I have sold to (them).

Outsider Dave

David S. Albright

Just now, Taylor G said:

They may be the extreme end of the continuum, but singling them out seems to be letting others (dealers and collectors) off the hook too easy.

I disagree. The Dees are the Benchmark for Bad. This is useful!  The BfB will make most look better (though some shared characteristics (sociopathology) may occur and even be evenly distributed among the Dealer Community) and also a few will at times look even worse and be out of business quickly anyway.

I have no axe to grind with them and my conversations with Rich have been pleasant.

I'm just tired of folks posting about them. An FAQ can provide a nice summary and terminate those threads (okay, that part may be a dream).

As for singling them out, I'd be happy to write an FAQ on other dealers if there's enough interesting to discuss. [I will admit that a book of FAQs on OA collecting is an interest.]

30 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

It should not get deleted !

It is information that should get shared, especially the altering of pieces.

No deletion For the sake of new collectors.

Alex is right. It would be nice to stop talking about them but the deal with the altered art is very important info to highlight. Full disclosure is best. 
Alex is a thoughtful fellow and I appreciate his serious approach to the subject of Coollines.

13 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I'm going to write a FAQ on the Donnelly's. Topics will include:

1. Their business model
  2. Their "unused" covers
  3. Their lack of pricing / changing of prices
  4. Their general altering of art, e.g., this Superman piece by Curt Swan
  5. Deceptive Advertising

I will will use threads from this board for reference - I've built a list.

What other topics should be included?

The threads I've found so far are:

What sources have I missed?

Alex, you left out Genesis 3:1.

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

No deletion For the sake of new collectors.

Alex is right. It would be nice to stop talking about them but the deal with the altered art is very important info to highlight. Full disclosure is best. 
Alex is a thoughtful fellow and I appreciate his serious approach to the subject of Coollines.

I agree 100%

12 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I have no axe to grind with them and my conversations with Rich have been pleasant.

I'm just tired of folks posting about them. An FAQ can provide a nice summary and terminate those threads (okay, that part may be a dream).

As for singling them out, I'd be happy to write an FAQ on other dealers if there's enough interesting to discuss. [I will admit that a book of FAQs on OA collecting is an interest.]

Great idea, Alex.  Every time someone created a new Donnelly thread, you could simply post your FAQ.

Cool Lines deceit . . . yeah, attributing art to big-name artists who never actually contributed anything to the art they're offering.