• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donnelly Brothers / CoolLines Art FAQ
6 6

76 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Can someone please fill in some dealer’s names in the “underpriced” quadrants?

Well they are all "out of business"...... LOL

The main one who comes to mind for me mostly would be Al Czarnecki!

I Think his business was called "A OK ENTERPRISES" back in the day....great guy Al was! 

had he kept 1/100th of what he was selling for john and Sal Buscema he'd be a multi-millionaire today!!!

( i heard a rumor Al was a custodian somewhere now.....i hope that rumor is not true..as Again..Al was a great guy and deserved better!)

Edited by romitaman

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Fixed it for you-

725631586_dealermatrix.png.514fa263af3c4ad9109692ba5a43bec5.thumb.jpg.3ffc6058feae5bd75aff3ae25ac7a5cd.jpg

all kidding aside, you make a good point.  Perhaps a better description of the Y axis for Price would be:  Value-Speculation with the center being "Market" whatever that is given the amount of shilling, price propping, and other market manipulation that seems to occur. 

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

There must be a way to also express "service" -- responsiveness, speed, etc.  Size of points (larger for better service)?

The realty is that as demand goes up, service goes down. That is the case with many dealers. They know they have the demand so don’t care how customers are treated.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, BriD. said:

I just stopped by to say thanks for this thread:foryou:. The search function actually worked for once and I got all the info I needed right here!

Maybe saved me from a bad purchase, that is if I ever get a response about the piece I was interested in :tumbleweed:

You will get a response, just realize their pricing formula is FMV multiplied by a minimum of 4. Also realize that any trade you propose will be priced at lower than FMV. In short, imagine the worst car dealer experience you ever had -- and then double it.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, Race said:

You will get a response, just realize their pricing formula is FMV multiplied by a minimum of 4. Also realize that any trade you propose will be priced at lower than FMV. In short, imagine the worst car dealer experience you ever had -- and then double it.

A little harsh. I did once buy something that was only around 30-40% above market. What I buy, however, doesn’t always have much competition—no one else was probably interested. On the other hand, they do price their better stuff pretty high. 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rick2you2 said:

A little harsh. I did once buy something that was only around 30-40% above market. What I buy, however, doesn’t always have much competition—no one else was probably interested. On the other hand, they do price their better stuff pretty high. 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rick2you2 said:

My experience with them is similar.  Around 2018 they had something I really wanted. I enquired, got a quote (with a bit of year-end discount (!)) and I decided to hit it.  I was pretty conscious who I was dealing with and that I was paying probably more than FV.  At the same time, I was aware that there is very little other stuff around from that particular artist and specific issue so I went for it.  In my judgment, tt was not 4x FV, more like 25%, but it is difficult to say because of the lack of comps.  Again, I consider myself a (relatively) experienced collector and was perfectly aware of the situation. Other than that, the buying experience was very positive, communication was very good and I had no problem with the delivery. To this date I am very pleased with that particular acquisition and have no regrets whatsoever. 

In other instances I got quotes from them that I felt were too high and I simply moved on (and in one instance I deeply regret doing that, but we all know that is because prices have been consistently increasing over time).

I realise people are turned off by the acetates and the item descriptions and the aggressive pricing etc., but my personal experience with them was not negative and I feel it is fair to report it.

I would also be aware that the brother's "D" may not keep up with their inventory.

It still amuses me that they advertise a page of art for sale that currently have in my possession.    They have had it listed on their site for a few years now and I noticed it after I acquired it over Comiclink.   A couple of years ago, I contacted them and they realized that sold it (to someone else) but still have it listed on their site. 

On 6/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Buzzetta said:

I would also be aware that the brother's "D" may not keep up with their inventory.

It still amuses me that they advertise a page of art for sale that currently have in my possession.    They have had it listed on their site for a few years now and I noticed it after I acquired it over Comiclink.   A couple of years ago, I contacted them and they realized that sold it (to someone else) but still have it listed on their site. 

I've got two of those: a cover and a half-story. I just assumed they kept it up for the equivalent of advertizing.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:27 PM, buttock said:

You're going to have to extend the scale to get Albert's prices in there. 

The funny thing I noticed about Albert Moy's pricing strategy is that if he's had a page available for sale for a couple of years that has obviously remained unsold, his sales strategy is to repost the piece with a 25% price increase.

I witnessed this phenomenon recently with a page on his website. Highly unorthodox sales strategy, if you ask me. I figured if anything, there would've been a 25% decrease in price. What a strange business the comic art world is. (shrug)

On 6/20/2022 at 11:11 AM, KingOfRulers said:

The funny thing I noticed about Albert Moy's pricing strategy is that if he's had a page available for sale for a couple of years that has obviously remained unsold, his sales strategy is to repost the piece with a 25% price increase.

I witnessed this phenomenon recently with a page on his website. Highly unorthodox sales strategy, if you ask me. I figured if anything, there would've been a 25% decrease in price. What a strange business the comic art world is. (shrug)

lol When I was selling, I have done that on comic books and other items on eBay.  Strangely it works.  As Neal Adams told Larry Hama, if you do not 'value' your products then why should the public?

On 6/20/2022 at 11:38 AM, Buzzetta said:

lol When I was selling, I have done that on comic books and other items on eBay.  Strangely it works.  As Neal Adams told Larry Hama, if you do not 'value' your products then why should the public?

Comic books are significantly different than comic art though. In general, comic books have a much more easily defined and trackable market value. Looking at sales in GPA could allow a seller of similar items to follow the market and quickly adjust pricing. I'm referring to the common Silver Age through modern Marvel and DC stuff where there's tons of data.

With original art, there is far more ambiguity. Far more taste involved in determining the value.

The piece in question was offered for $x for two years. It didn't sell, so apparently the public doesn't value it at that price. If they didn't value it at $x for two years, why would they value it at $x + 25%?

I suppose he's banking on one of three things: 1) new market entrants that didn't see the previous price, 2) existing market participants that were unaware of the old price, or 3) sales of similar art elsewhere that would suggest an increase in the value of this piece. To my knowledge, there have been no sales of similar items to justify a 25% increase, so I must assume it must be option #1 or #2.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Comic books are significantly different than comic art though. In general, comic books have a much more easily defined and trackable market value. Looking at sales in GPA could allow a seller of similar items to follow the market and quickly adjust pricing. I'm referring to the common Silver Age through modern Marvel and DC stuff where there's tons of data.

With original art, there is far more ambiguity. Far more taste involved in determining the value.

The piece in question was offered for $x for two years. It didn't sell, so apparently the public doesn't value it at that price. If they didn't value it at $x for two years, why would they value it at $x + 25%?

I suppose he's banking on one of three things: 1) new market entrants that didn't see the previous price, 2) existing market participants that were unaware of the old price, or 3) sales of similar art elsewhere that would suggest an increase in the value of this piece. To my knowledge, there have been no sales of similar items to justify a 25% increase, so I must assume it must be option #1 or #2.

Oh, I agree absolutely with you in regard to pricing comic and art.  Perhaps they just want to negotiate back down to their original ask and with the way you map it out then I steer toward #1 and #2. 

On 6/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Buzzetta said:

They love playin' them mind games